No announcement yet.

Log Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little more digging... I received Family and Upstairs emails. I did not receive Living, therefore the system hung on this.

Now, the Insteon Thermostat plugin has been very flaky lately, issuing odd errors and deleting my HVACs. I do not know why, but my guess is that the problem here is the device value gets whacky, and the replacement variable get choked on by the emailer in HS3. Thoughts?

-BD

Comment

Could you take the $$DVA:THERMOSTATS-Q41: out of the email for now or change it to $$DSA:THERMOSTATS-Q41:, then a) look for the email to send without fault and b) look at the value stored in the device Advanced tab when you receive the emails to see if there is a wonky value?

It is obvious that HS is choking on some character in the value of that device and only at certain highly intermittent times, so maybe the status will not have whatever it takes to mess the system up. If string causes it to fail as well, then remove it altogether at least to see what the values are in the device each time an email is generated.

Alternately could you install the Pushover notification and send a Pushover with the same $$DVA:THERMOSTATS-Q41: in the body of the text? Since it is a different mechanism for sending the message maybe you would get it and could see what the value is each time it sends.

Also which Insteon plug-in are you using?
      Last edited by randy; September 29, 2014, 10:01 AM.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I am probably exposing my lack of knowledge on Insteon devices, but would it possibly do any good to perform a factory reset on the one thermostat that is generating the wonky values, then reprogram if for the network?

Comment

Do you have the "Cannot Re-Run For:" option set on this event so it will not continue to try over and over in case of error?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Do you have the "Cannot Re-Run For:" option set on this event so it will not continue to try over and over in case of error?
            I thought of that as well, but if you look at the log entries he posted, it doesn't seem to be an endless loop of event triggers, but seems to be an endless loop of errors generated by whatever content was in the email sent by the initial event trigger.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, but it looks like it is not event triggers filling the log.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              I thought of that as well, but if you look at the log entries he posted, it doesn't seem to be an endless loop of event triggers, but seems to be an endless loop of errors generated by whatever content was in the email sent by the initial event trigger.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, but it looks like it is not event triggers filling the log.
              That's a good point and at a minimum a Bugzilla ticket needs to be filed as the email functionality shouldn't go into an endless loop.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

@rprade: Yes, I took out the replacement variable. Will watch to see when/if the device creates in invalid value. I am using the Insteon Thermostat Plug-in. It was the HS3 converted version of the Sage plugin. It has some flakes and error handling issues for certain, and I think this is the washout. There is no need to reset the thermostat, as I have done that in the past, and still have the plugin flakiness. Besides, I have had this t-stat for 3 years, running on HS2 without issue.

@Rupp: I agree with rprade in that it is not retriggering... certainly not that fast. I think the problem is in HS3, and is mishandling an invalid replacement variable. It clearly gets stuck in a loop. I will add a retrigger delay, but I don't think it will matter.

-BD

Comment

You could probably start a Bugzilla with the snippet of code you posted above. It is clear that HS is not handling the exception created by the value inserted into the body of your email. It could be a group of characters or odd ASCII codes causing the fault. At the very least the team needs to put something in the code to prevent continuous generation of the same error in the log, regardless of the source of the error.

Comment

Kinda wonder why I am responsible for the bugzilla... I paid for the software. The last one I put in hasn't been addressed, so where's my motivation?

OK will do.

-BD

Comment

OK, I tried. Waste of my time.

First, could not find BZ because HS moved the site but failed to update the link off the website. Then, it asks me to login every time I click the next option in the bug entering sequence (something about needing cookies set up right, but I have 3rd party cookies off by security policy by my IT department on my laptop). Then, once I get it entered it issues a gateway error. DONE - Rupp, go ahead and enter it if you like. I'll be a beta tester when I don't pay for the software.

EDIT: Nevermind. It actually took the bug. Three times. Good stuff.

-BD

Comment

OK, it happened again, but this time with the 'Upstairs' thermostat. So now I am confident it is more on the plugin side mis-handling the value of the setpoint. But there is one thing that I am unsure of. The event triggers on a device value set or changed, then waits 10 seconds, then sends the email with the replacement variable in the body which has the set point value in it. Notice the time stamp delta between the three changes (all occur at :28 because the program changes all three at once), but the first email time stamp is only one second later. Then, the other two emails send 10 seconds later. There is a second time stamp on each line, so I am not sure if this one is the one that matters. In any event, one of the email chokes and the error below is repeated billions of times. I caught the log at 4GB this time. The clue was that I only received two emails, not three.

I am trying by changing the time delay to send the email to 30 seconds and see if that helps. If not, I will delete the replacement variables until it is fixed by either HS or the plugin.

Code:
                        2014-10-02 17:00:28|2278087|Event|Event Trigger "Climate Thermostat Change Notice - Upstairs Cool"|Event_02-Oct-2014 17:00:28.27808943_Thermostat Change Notice- Upstairs Cool|0|0||6417
                        2014-10-02 17:00:28|2278087|Event|Event Trigger "Climate Thermostat Change Notice - Living Cool"|Event_02-Oct-2014 17:00:28.2780332_Thermostat Change Notice - Living Cool|0|0||6418
                        2014-10-02 17:00:28|2278087|Event|Event Trigger "Climate Thermostat Change Notice - Family Cool"|Event_02-Oct-2014 17:00:28.27806166_Thermostat Change Notice - Family Cool|0|0||6419
                        2014-10-02 17:00:29|1106254|email|Email successfully sent to pxxxx@gmail.com|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6420
                        2014-10-02 17:00:39|91140|email|Email successfully sent to pxxxx@gmail.com|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6421
                        2014-10-02 17:00:39|8888056|email|Email successfully sent to pxxxx@gmail.com|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6422
                        2014-10-02 17:00:39|9903682|Error|Exception sending E-Mail: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: Index|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6423
                        2014-10-02 17:00:39|9903682|Error|Exception sending E-Mail: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: Index|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6424
                        2014-10-02 17:00:39|9903682|Error|Exception sending E-Mail: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: Index|(System)_29-Sep-2014 10:06:37.3033_E-Mail Sender|0|0||6425

Comment

Working...
                        X