HS3 as Service (Windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 as Service (Windows)

To run HS3 as a "service" without having to physically login to the PC or have to auto-login to a session, I have been playing around with using the Windows Task Scheduler with HIGH SUCCESS.

Attached you will find a zip of screenshots on how I've currently got my Server 2012 r2 running HS3 without having to log in (like HS2 did)

Curious as it creates the session for the user if the speaker client works, will probably get to that after I get bored keying in all these new events.
    Attached Files

Hi Ultimateinternet.
    I went to your clue, yesterday evening. So far so good. Since I was in the process of performing a windows 8.1 maintenance on my server, I installed the way that you described.
    The footprint in memory is very low compared to standard launch. There is absolutely no icon in the footzone. You can see HS3 memory footprint before and after here click <server>.

Thanks for pointing this.
    Jean

Comment

I tried it too, it's working here.

I have HS3 coming up at boot on Win7Pro with no login.

Kudos +11

Comment

How about the speaker client and plugins?
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

How to launch HS3 on your PC without logging in:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184724

Comment

Thanks Mark. I assume this doesn't address the windows
            Limitation (or security feature) of Tts not working unless computer logged in and unlocked?

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              Limitation (or security feature) of Tts not working unless computer logged in and unlocked?
              I didn't know that was a limitation. Guess I'd need to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateInternet View Post
                To run HS3 as a "service" without having to physically login to the PC or have to auto-login to a session, I have been playing around with using the Windows Task Scheduler with HIGH SUCCESS.

Attached you will find a zip of screenshots on how I've currently got my Server 2012 r2 running HS3 without having to log in (like HS2 did)

Curious as it creates the session for the user if the speaker client works, will probably get to that after I get bored keying in all these new events.
                Have you checked what happens when Windows force shuts your system (ex: Windows update)? HS3 doesn't get any warning I believe from Task Scheduler and gets its files forced closed, potentially losing transient updates to them, making HS3 inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                  Have you checked what happens when Windows force shuts your system (ex: Windows update)? HS3 doesn't get any warning I believe from Task Scheduler and gets its files forced closed, potentially losing transient updates to them, making HS3 inconsistent.
                  You should install Windows updates manually on your HomeSeer system. That will give you more control over this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                    You should install Windows updates manually on your HomeSeer system. That will give you more control over this kind of thing.
                    The point I was trying to make is that people promoting Task scheduler is fine, and it works most of the time, but they should also be made aware of the 'exceptions'.

P.S. I use NSSM and have never had an issue with uncontrolled shutdowns, although I see the posts about issues with aspx (not affecting me).

Comment

I can confirm that the Windows Speaker Client does not load and run properly in this configuration. HOWEVER, TTS through HSTouch clients DOES WORK just fine. So... if you're using HSTouch clients as your TTS portals, then you should be all set. I will add some notes to the "How To" to document this.

Comment

A "Caveats" section has been added to the "How To" I linked to earlier in this thread. This deals with the following issues pertaining to launching HS3 as a task:
                        • Windows security prevents our Speaker Client from running properly
                        • Chrome won't launch properly on a PC that's logged out
                        • Checking for HS3 updates may cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          A "Caveats" section has been added to the "How To" I linked to earlier in this thread. This deals with the following issues pertaining to launching HS3 as a task:
                          • Windows security prevents our Speaker Client from running properly
                          • Chrome won't launch properly on a PC that's logged out
                          • Checking for HS3 updates may cause problems.
                          Good to know, and figured about the windows limitation. At least if something restarts, the automation will still be up... just the house won't speak to me.

Thanks for putting this together Mark and everyone else that helped.

Comment

... just the house won't speak to me.
                            Right, unless you use HSTouch clients... then it will speak just fine!

Comment

Hello,

How do you close HS3 in the normal way when it is started from the task scheduler at startup ?
                              Thank you !

Comment

Working...
                              X