Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone successfully using Z-wave remote plug-in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
    I tried this at the weekend in the hope that things may have changed lately but no. Same result as Pete in December 2014.

Any chance HS may look at compatibility between linux and windows Z-Wave plug-in to allow remote connection?
    I may well be wrong but my guess is that HS have to produce different versions of the ZWave plug-in for Windows and Linux due to port handling in mono. I suspect that there is a routine in the plug-in that checks which version of os HS is running on when it initialises to make sure that the correct version is being run. When you run the linux version remotely connecting to HS on windows you get a log message in HS saying something like:

'Initializing plug-in...Z-Wave instance...Error, wrong os type'

It thinks you are trying to run the linux version on windows. It may well be that it could work fine as the plug-in running on linux is handling the port communications, and interfacing with the server is platform independent.

If my assumptions are correct it might be a relatively easy fix, but it is probably much more complicated.

I will submit a bugzilla enhancement request when I have some time.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• david
    replied
    +1 for this. I'd like to be able run HS3 on a Wintel VM (HyperV or ESXi) to get access to a wider range of plugins, and be able to have an RPi run the remote ZWave plugin in a central location...

Cheers,
    David

Leave a comment:

• SteveMSJ
    replied
    Originally posted by ekempen View Post
    has anyone recently tried the Z-Wave remote plugin with a remote raspberry pi (linux) connecting to a windows based HS3PRO?
    So far all reported attempts apparently have failed.
    Any evidence that HomeSeer could be re-aligning these Z-Wave plugins such that linux-wintel remote plugin might finally work?
    I tried this at the weekend in the hope that things may have changed lately but no. Same result as Pete in December 2014.

Any chance HS may look at compatibility between linux and windows Z-Wave plug-in to allow remote connection?

Steve

Leave a comment:

• ekempen
    replied
    has anyone recently tried the Z-Wave remote plugin with a remote raspberry pi (linux) connecting to a windows based HS3PRO?
    So far all reported attempts apparently have failed.
    Any evidence that HomeSeer could be re-aligning these Z-Wave plugins such that linux-wintel remote plugin might finally work?

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Progress today. I uninstalled/reinstalled HS3 on both the Win 8 and Win XP machines. So starting clean. I'm using the latest beta. Started both HS3 applications and loaded the beta ZWave. I wanted to make sure that I had all the correct files loaded.

Shut down HS3 on the XP machine and started the remote ZWave plugin and all went well from there. For now using remote desktop to restart the plugin when I restart HS3.

I am assuming I had all the files I need by installing HS3 on both machines. Must have been missing something before. I haven't tried hitting the Disconnect button that caused my last crash.

Going to test this for a couple of days, then try adding it to my production machine.

Thanks,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Just submitted a bug report, after my latest test. Was trying the remote plugin on the same box as HS3. That worked until I clicked the disconnect box. The plugin now throws a db error whenever I try to start the plugin. Can't seem to get past it and may do a reinstall.

I referenced this thread in the bug note.

On a related matter, does the Linux version of the plugin shut down when HS3 shuts down? That appears to happen on the Win side. That would be a problem if I have to restart the remote Win application every time I restart HS3. It shouldn't be a problem on the Pi since I can login remotely. Possible, but harder to do on a Windows box. I was thinking about when I have a machine in the pump house that I can't get to easily.

Wonder if you could automate the remote plugin process?

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yup.

This is what I see.

I can run two remote plugins from the RPi to the HS3 Pro on Linux machine just fine.

Running from the RPi to the XP HS3 Pro machine I see an OS error from Linux to Wintel.
    I then copied over the Wintel Z-Wave EXE to the RPi and get the DB error you see.

The HAI Plugin almost works this way but it keeps wiping out the INI file when it starts then locks up.

See pics.

BTW noticed updates today that I didn't see yesterday. Updated both Wintel and Linux to most current versions of plugins and HS3.

You could create a new Linux Ubuntu 64 bit server box and install HS3 on it for Linux and your stuff will work or if you want install the Linux Server with the Wintel box and grub boot either or put a Linux VM inside of Wintel or a Wintel VM inside of Linux and run the two together.

Quickie synopsis

1 - Linux RPi remote plugins (two of them) run fine to Linux HS3 box.
    2 - Linux RPi remote Z-Wave plugin to HS3 Wintel box doesn't work - its broken cuz its using two different Z-Wave plugins. (linux and wintel)
    3 - Wintel remote Z-Wave plugin to HS3 Wintel box doesn't work - its broken cuz of the DB write error - HST easy peasey fix.
    4 - Linux RPi remote Z-Wave plugin to Linux HS3 works fine
    5 - Linux RPi remote HAI plugin to Linux HS3 works fine
    6 - Linux RPi remote HAI plugin to Wintel HS3 deletes HAI INI file before started then hangs - looks to be an easy fix.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; December 12, 2014, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Here is the current error I'm chasing -
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Error Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error, database could not be created.
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Z-Wave Error An attempt to create a database failed - the plug-in cannot continue. File=C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Z-Wave Error Database: General Exception Error creating database on 0, = The given path's format is not supported.
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Z-Wave Warning Z-Wave database file does not exist, so a new database is being created in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Z-Wave InitIO called, plug-in version 3.0.0.187 is being initialized...
    Dec-12 3:10:04 PM Info Plugin Z-Wave has connected. IP:192.168.1.3:61691
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The file does exist on the HS3 box. It exist on the remote plug-in machine at
    C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave2.db

Wondering if it is a naming issue between the HS3 box and the remote box?

Nope - the file structure matches on both machines. Ideas on what is causing the error?

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    It should have nothing to do with OS.

Shopping...wasn't my choice ...be back later to test

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Good progress! I download a trail version of HS3 on my Win 8.1. Since I had never used a Z-stick, wanted to be sure that wasn't the problem. That went well and I was able to upload and control the one device in the garage.

I'm going to delete the device and try to run the plugin remotely with no other plugins installed. Going to try single steps. I'm also go to load the latest beta version of HS3 to see if that helps.

More later,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Redid my test set up using:

1 - Linux HS3 Pro V.49 on one Linux Machine
    2 - XP HS3 Pro V.97 on one Wintel Machine
    2 - RPi using current Z-Wave stuff as posted yesterday

NOTE: This did not work yesterday for any remote plugins and today with the Updated Linux HS3 Pro it works. I have three Linux HS3 Pro machines configured at current time and 1 Wintel HS3 Pro machine configured.

Plugins Testing:

1 - Z-Wave running on RPI remotely talking to Linux HS3 Pro - OK now
    2 - HAI Plugin on RPi remotely talking to Linux HS3 Pro - OK now
    3 - Z-Wave running on RPI remotely talking to XP HS3 V.97 - NOT OK - not working

The attached jpg is what you should see on the HS3 Server when connecting the Z-Wave plugin remotely.

The 169 IP is the RPi with the Aeon stick. I am running the Z-Wave plugin with only the files that I previously listed.

I am upgrading the HS3 Pro on Wintel to most current version .149 from .97. I am optimistic that the remote will work then on Wintel.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Clicked on add interface, then gave it the name "Garage Z-stick" and selected the Aeotec Z-Stick.
    Clicked on the "enable" button.
    Nothing happens EXCEPT the X-10 plugin crashes and HS3 has to be restarted to get it working again.
    @Barry,

You are the first to attempt this with Wintel machines. That you see the remote Aeon stick with the main HS3 box is a good thing and a very good first step.

Did it just show up on the Wintel 7 machine as a remote Aeon stick or did you manually add it?

Here for the other plugins they show up as remote as I have not enabled nor added them on the main machine.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    No, not using the zwave plugin remotely. I can run my plugin on a pi connected back to hs3. You will need the zwave db and config on the remote machine.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    On the remote machine, you will need HS installed. It's probably overkill in that you really only need the .DLLs that the ZWave plugin uses, but go ahead and install it anyway.

From a command-prompt, go to the HomeSeer folder where the HSPI_ZWave.exe plugin lives and type:

HSPI_ZWave.exe server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    where server is the IP address of your HS Server.

it should connect and show up as a remote plugin when you manage plugins on the main HS box.
    So it is working for you? Great. Here is what I've done-
    Loaded the Z-stick and drivers on Win XP box in garage.
    Moved the .dll and other Z-wave related files to Win XP
    Ran the remote plug-in and it starts fine, says its connected to the server and is awaiting initialization.
    Went to HS3 Win 7 box and to the Z-wave configuration page. Z-troller already installed and working.
    Clicked on add interface, then gave it the name "Garage Z-stick" and selected the Aeotec Z-Stick.
    Clicked on the "enable" button.
    Nothing happens EXCEPT the X-10 plugin crashes and HS3 has to be restarted to get it working again.

Did I miss something? Did you have to alter the Zwave config file?

I'm trying to determine if this is bug or user error. With no documentation, it is hard to tell.

Thanks,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    On the remote machine, you will need HS installed. It's probably overkill in that you really only need the .DLLs that the ZWave plugin uses, but go ahead and install it anyway.

From a command-prompt, go to the HomeSeer folder where the HSPI_ZWave.exe plugin lives and type:

HSPI_ZWave.exe server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    where server is the IP address of your HS Server.

it should connect and show up as a remote plugin when you manage plugins on the main HS box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X