Raspberry PI2 Install for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good John!

Typically here so I do not have to keep typing sudo this or that I just do a sudo su.

It will prompt you once in the session for the password then you can keep adding stuff.

1 - SSH to the RPi2 with homeseer
    2 - do a sudo su
    3 - do a passwd root and change the password to root
    4 - typically we have to change some stuff now for root ssh access
    5 - nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    6 - change this line to
    PermitRootLogin yes
    in the file sshd_config
    7 - change this line
    StrictModes yes
    so it reads like this:
    #StrictModes yes
    8 - save your changes in nano
    9 - type service ssh restart
    10 - logout
    11 - ssh again this time using root
    12 - you should be able to remotely ssh now using the root username and password you configured.

Write here when you get to this point.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

"3 - do a passwd root and change the password to root"

do I change the password ofroot or change the password to root?

I have previously changed all 3 users, root, Pi and homeseer, to the same password.

Thanks

Comment

do I change the password of root or change the password to root?

No. I didn't see that you had changed the password of root.

Now with the changes you made to the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file you should be able to SSH via root. I just want to make sure that you can ssh via root.

Give it a try.

Log in as root for the next steps....(IE: without the changes to sshd_config then it will hang when trying to log in as root).

You should see this in your ssh terminal window:

root@ICS-HP-Laptop:/home/pete# ssh root@192.168.244.169
        root@192.168.244.169's password:
        Linux ICS-RPi2-Zee 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l
        Last login: Tue Oct 27 15:54:27 2015 from 192.168.244.230
        root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:~#
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have successfully logged in as root root@raspberrypi:~#

Johns-Mac-Pro:~ jl_photo$ ssh 192.168.1.68 -l root
          root@192.168.1.68's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
          the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
          individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
          permitted by applicable law.
          Last login: Thu Oct 29 15:03:41 2015 from johns-mac-pro.attlocal.net
          root@raspberrypi:~#
          Last edited by JohnD; October 29, 2015, 10:11 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

I am sort of multitasking here looking at the forum while I do stuff...

(radiator flush and updates to an old car in the garage in pieces right now jacked up - replaced the old plastic with new plastic - sort of a pita - well and broke the plastic sleeve that holds the plastic radiator drain plug so had to use a coat hanger to pull it out and redid my Logitech media server stuff this morning)

Tried the VU meters and Spectrum analyzer on the Squeezeplayer...like the spectrum analyzer best...VU meters are too analog.

OK to this at the root prompt: (change the xx to tt)

1 - wget hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.770_all.deb
            2 - apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
            3 - dpkg --install webmin_1.770_all.deb

Test webmin by logging in with homeseer, pi and root.

Look at the webmin browser info page. It might say something about updates.

Tell me how many updates you see. Attached are info page and update page.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 10:36 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Success

I am running webmin

I see now one of the mistakes I was making. I did not realize that I needed to (change the xx to tt) on links. I guess this is to get around forum rules prohibiting external links.

I hate plastic radiators. I just had to replace the one on my truck in the parking lot of the Autozone. I hope it's not cold where you are.

System Information
              System hostname raspberrypi (127.x.x.x)
              Operating system Debian Linux 8.0
              Webmin version 1.770
              Time on system Thu Oct 29 15:43:01 2015
              Kernel and CPU Linux 4.1.7-v7+ on armv7l
              System uptime 0 hours, 34 minutes
              Running processes 114
              CPU load averages 0.21 (1 min) 0.49 (5 mins) 0.47 (15 mins)
              CPU usage 2% user, 2% kernel, 0% IO, 97% idle
              Real memory 124.05 MB used, 925.90 MB total

Virtual memory 0 bytes used, 100 MB total

Local disk space 3.61 GB used, 7.22 GB total

Package updates 15 package updates are available

Comment

Yeah its looking like winter here in the midwest; cold, windy and rainy today. Garage is warm. Radiator is metal, just everything that connects to it is plastic. The car is now 14 years old and the plastic stuff is just getting old. It works fine though; just wanting new pieces.

OK now update the 15 packages in Webmin.

I am guessing you tested your login to Webmin with Pi, Homeseer and root eh?

And it all worked fine eh?

Are you going to be using the audio output of the RPi2 for anything relating to Homeseer?

Next step after update
                1 - login via ssh root.
                2 - do a cat /etc/apt/sources.list and print here what you see.

BTW here went to a new 16Gb fast micro SD card. The 8Gb one you have should be fine. Note that I had issues with the older slower microSD cards.
                Tried initially Samsung then settled on SanDisk. The new SanDisk microSD cards are really fast. (well so are the Samsung microsd cards).

I have replaced all seen in the picture now (plastic stuff). The plastic ends of the radiator hoses snap in to place then there is a clip that holds them. You have to buy the hoses with the ends on them. The radiator is plug n play and lifts out of the car with just few clips. Radiator looks new so didn't touch that part.

Next is the fill and purging of air because if it over heats it will warp the aluminium head.

I have to wait though as I busted the plastic sleeve for the drain plug in half, removed it and ordered a new one. Should be a day or so to get it.

Most of the work related to removing and replacing the plastic expansion tank. PITA.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 11:11 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I may use sound

I can log into webmin Pi, root and homeseer

root@raspberrypi:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                  deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
                  # Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
                  #deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
                  root@raspberrypi:~#

Comment

OK now do this:

1 - nano /etc/apt/sources.list
                    2 - add the two lines from the picture above and save your edited sources.list file.

Note change the xx to tt.

deb hxxp://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/3.12.0 main
                    deb hxxp://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib

3 - do a apt-get update after this piece.

Tell me when you are done with this piece.
                    Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 12:04 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Disregard this post, skip to the next one. Some kind of typo

[ Error writing /ect/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory ]

directory is empty with no text

logged in as root

That radiator looks like something a jeep or subaru would have. that does not look easy to work on.
                      Last edited by JohnD; October 29, 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

disregard the previous post

If I type nano /ect/apt/sources.list myself I get a file not found

If I copy past nano /etc/apt/sources.list from your message it works

[ Error writing /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied

I just thought of something, my pi may be set to UK keyboard.

Comment

Radiator is to an E46 automatic and is similiar to an M3 engine. Done with it today; just left the car up on jacks for the time being.

The car is more dusty than it is anything else lately cuz it's been sitting now for a bit.

The manual transmission engine is easier to play with.

Last winter's project was to replace all of the drive belts. (just cuz they were old). That said shattered the plastic water pump pulley so ended up putting in a performance aluminium water pump pulley on the car.

Yeah change the keyboard to a US keyboard otherwise you will have some issues typing stuff.

Here are the steps:

1 - sudo raspi-config
                          2 - Choose Internationalization menu
                          3 - Choose keyboard setup menu.
                          4 - If your exact keyboard is not on the list then choose one of the generic 101, 102 or 104 keyboards.
                          The following steps are Important! If need US then you must choose US. Don't leave it set to UK.......
                          5 - The default Keyboard Layout is [ English (UK) ]
                          You may need to scroll down and select [Other] to get back to the country of origin menu
                          6 - From country of origin menu select [English (US) ]
                          7 - Then from Keyboard layout: menu, scroll to top of list and select - [ English (US) ].
                          Do not choose anything else unless you know exactly what you are doing!
                          8 - Complete the other menus then reboot.

OK so have you edited the sources.list file?

Are you ready to continue?

When you are finished you will be able to do this stuff blindfolded; really you should do another base RPi2 microSD card to keep as a backup or as a spare.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I booted to GUI to set the keyboard to US and got the following message

"your raspian system has been upgraded to the latest version.

To ensure compatibility with the new version, some configuration files have been overwritten-if you had customized your system, some of your changes may have been lost.

Your original configuration fileshave been backed up and put in the directory/home/pi/oldconffiles

this directory is empty bot in SSJ and GUI

GUI boots to Pi without password

Comment

still cant save changes [ Error writing /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied ]

Comment

I did have a Jeep in the 1980's. Put a lift kit on it and it had oversized tires. Never flipped it but had a friend do that with his Toyota 4 wheeler (the jeep looking one) roughing it a bit.

Are you logging in SSH remotely as root or are you using sudo su?

Leave the console alone for a bit and do everything from your laptop or another computer in the house; it is much easier.

You cannot make any changes unless you are root or sudoer.

Manually type in ssh as root
                                1 - cd /etc
                                2 - cd apt
                                3 - ls
                                4 - nano sources.list

root@ICS-006-Basement:/home/pete# ssh root@192.168.244.169
                                root@192.168.244.169's password:

Linux ICS-RPi2-Zee 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l
                                Last login: Thu Oct 29 11:45:59 2015 from 192.168.244.230
                                Uptime: 8 days 46 minutes
                                CPU Speed: 900 Mhz - Load Average: 1min 0% 5min 1% 15min 1% - Cores: 4
                                Free Memory: 769 Mb
                                Free Disk Space rootfs:
                                SD Card: Written 6463M Read 0G
                                Network Traffic eth0: Sent 69.6 MiB Received 267.3 MiB

root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:~# cd /etc
                                root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:/etc# cd apt

root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:/etc/apt# ls
                                apt.conf.d sources.list trustdb.gpg trusted.gpg~
                                preferences.d sources.list.d trusted.gpg trusted.gpg.d
                                root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:/etc/apt#

root@ICS-RPi2-Zee:/etc/apt# nano sources.list
                                Last edited by Pete; October 29, 2015, 01:54 PM.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X