No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI2 Install for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have looked at the various post regarding installing Homeseer. One described using 2 different links to the Homeseer downloads page and another listed only 1.

All 3 links were different. Do I understand correctly that the way to install software like this is to add the link to the sources.list file and then sudo apt-get install ? Which link or links?

cesarvog's suggestion of editing this file has revealed a possible error on my end. I do not seem to have this folder. when I enter sudo nano /usr/local/homeseer or /user/local/homeseer/speak.sh it tries to create a new folder by that name instead of opening an existing folder. I suspect that this problem may prevent homeseer from installing properly.

Regarding sound, you don't need to give it up. I found out that all you have to do is use nano to edit 'speak.sh', which should be in /usr/local/Homeseer.

Your edited file should look like this:

#!/bin/sh
    flite -voice kal16 -t "$1"
    #pico2wave -w=temp.wav "$1"
    #aplay temp.wav

Thanks

John

Comment

You misspelled the last folder's name. It's Homeseer, not homeseer. Linux's filesystem is case sensitive.

Comment

I tried it both ways it looks like both local and Homeseer are missing

homeseer@watchman1 / $ cd /usr/
        homeseer@watchman1 /usr $ cd /local/
        bash: cd: /local/: No such file or directory
        homeseer@watchman1 /usr $

Comment

Let's go back a little.

Whenever you want to move on to a child folder of the CURRENT folder, you use:

cd <foldername>

Do not use cd /<foldername>, because that would mean <foldername> is a child of the root folder, represented by /

Since usr is a child folder of the root folder (/), cd /usr is correct.

From then on, there is no forward slash in individual commands to traverse the folder tree structure.

You only type the forward slash in-between folder names if you use a single command, like:

cd/usr/local/Homeseer

Cesar

Comment

Thanks Cesar,

I still dont see Homeseer. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

John

homeseer@watchman1 /usr $ cd Homeseer
            bash: cd: Homeseer: No such file or directory
            homeseer@watchman1 /usr $ cd local
            homeseer@watchman1 /usr/local $ cd homeseer
            bash: cd: homeseer: No such file or directory
            homeseer@watchman1 /usr/local $ cd Homeseer
            bash: cd: Homeseer: No such file or directory
            homeseer@watchman1 /usr/local $

Comment

Try HomeSeer

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
                Do you know what I am doing wrong?
                Once your are at /usr/local, type:

ls -all

to verify the correct name of your Homeseer folder.

This is assuming you have correctly followed Pete's instructions on this thread, which at some point instructed you to move the Homeseer folder from the location it was uncompressed to /usr/local, by issuing the command 'sudo mv Homeseer /usr/local' (without the opening and ending ' signs) from the terminal screen, as long as you typed it from the folder where the tar.gz file was uncompressed.

If you followed Pete's instructions right, without any typos, the above sudo command should have resulted in your Homeseer folder being at /usr/local/Homeseer. The ls -all command above would let you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  For updating the RPi2 you can either SSH and use apt-get install update or just log in to the Webmin interface. The info page tells you if you need to update and provides a link to the updates.
                  Hey, Pete, I always end up with 3 Mono updates that do not get installed, no matter if I use the Webmin interface, or if I use sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade.

Do you get the same results?
                  Thanks,
                  Cesar
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
                    Once your are at /usr/local, type:

ls -all

to verify the correct name of your Homeseer folder.

This is assuming you have correctly followed Pete's instructions on this thread, which at some point instructed you to move the Homeseer folder from the location it was uncompressed to /usr/local, by issuing the command 'sudo mv Homeseer /usr/local' (without the opening and ending ' signs) from the terminal screen, as long as you typed it from the folder where the tar.gz file was uncompressed.

If you followed Pete's instructions right, without any typos, the above sudo command should have resulted in your Homeseer folder being at /usr/local/Homeseer. The ls -all command above would let you find out.
                    Here is what I have:

homeseer@watchman1 /usr/local $ ls -all
                    total 40
                    drwxrwsr-x 10 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 .
                    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Sep 24 08:16 ..
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 bin
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 etc
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 games
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 include
                    drwxrwsr-x 5 root staff 4096 Sep 24 09:27 lib
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 9 Sep 24 08:16 man -> share/man
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 sbin
                    drwxrwsr-x 8 root staff 4096 Sep 24 09:00 share
                    drwxrwsr-x 2 root staff 4096 Sep 24 08:16 src

Looks like I missed a step somewhere. Can I fix it or do I need to start over?

thanks

John

Comment

I believe you may need to re-read the thread and follow the instructions very carefully. I know it's a pain, but you will end up learning a lot in the process. Linux command line isn't forgiving minor typos and I believe you misspelled something along the way. If I would guess I think you may have made a mistake in the uncompressing and/or moving folder steps. But, again, it's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarvog View Post
                        I believe you may need to re-read the thread and follow the instructions very carefully. I know it's a pain, but you will end up learning a lot in the process. Linux command line isn't forgiving minor typos and I believe you misspelled something along the way. If I would guess I think you may have made a mistake in the uncompressing and/or moving folder steps. But, again, it's just a guess.
                        Thanks for your help Cesar,

I am not using rmasonjr's image this go round. Pete suggested that I should try Jessie. to have the most current OS. I re read Pete's instructions and have not found any instruction to unzip or move anything except the base Jessie image which works fine.

Do I need to create the homeseer folder myself? what is the correct spelling?

I have seen homeseer, Homeseer and HomeSeer

Pete is going to give me instructions about installing Homeseer next after I make sure I have gotten the previous steps right.

John

Comment

rmasonjr,

Can you tell me a little about the image you created?

Is it possible to upgrade to Jessie after installing your image without messing up your customizations?

Thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
                            rmasonjr,

Can you tell me a little about the image you created?

Is it possible to upgrade to Jessie after installing your image without messing up your customizations?

Thanks

John
                            Hi John - At the time, it was just a stock Debian installation. I suspect that upgrading to newer versions might have some issues. I havent followed the entire thread, but, are you having an issue installing HS on an image or are you getting an error?
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

@Cesar

Just relating to mono here added the version source to /etc/apt/sources.list

IE:

deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/3.12.0 main

When you type apt-get update you will see the mono source come up.

IE: most current version of Mono uses dot net 4.5. Dot net 4.5 is not available in XP only everything afterwards. Homeseer 3 for windows currently runs on XP SP3.

If dot net 4.5 is utilized for Homeseer 3 then you will not be able to run it on XP.

For Linux HS3 it doesn't matter.

IE: when you go to download or purchase HS3 the text states.

More Information
                              Requirements
                              Program Installation: PC running Windows 2K, XP, Vista, 7, 8.
                              Configuration: Desktop or Mobile Device running Chrome, Firefox or Safari Web Browser

There are many folks still utilizing XP as it serves their needs just fine (even without support today).

@JohnD

Do I need to create the homeseer folder myself?

no

what is the correct spelling?
                              I have seen homeseer, Homeseer and HomeSeer

The untar will create a HomeSeer folder.

The Homeseer way (cuz of some static stuff) is that you should unzip in the /usr/local directory.

IE:

copy the tar file to the /usr/local directory.

Untar the file and it will create a HomeSeer directory there. /usr/local/HomeSeer.

That is all there is to it.

First time run do it from an ssh console.

1 - Sudo su
                              2 - cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
                              3 - ./go
                              4 - watch the terminal / console window for any errors. There should not be any errors.

Personally here on my RPi2 and Ubuntu box have HomeSeer on the root drive - /HomeSeer.

This is giving me issues because of the static configurations in some of the scripts under the Homeseer directory. I would recommend installing it the Homeseer way. This is the same directory structure first introduced with the original HS3 Zee.
                              Last edited by Pete; November 9, 2015, 10:44 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                                Hi John - At the time, it was just a stock Debian installation. I suspect that upgrading to newer versions might have some issues. I havent followed the entire thread, but, are you having an issue installing HS on an image or are you getting an error?

I haven't quite gotten to the Homeseer install step yet. Pete suggested that I try starting from scratch with a Jessie image so that I can learn a little about Linux.

Pete has been guiding me through the process step by step.

Earlier I had some typo problems and I also discovered that if you open Configuration in GUI it deletes all users and related folders and resets password to raspberry.

I have had a number of file not found problems but I am working through them.

How is Debian different than Wheezy to Jessie.

Thanks for your help and contributions

John

Comment

Working...
                                X