Raspberry PI2 Install for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete,

do I just download Homeseer and copy and past the file into the correct folder or do I put the url of the download in the sources folder and use apt get install?

How do I untar?

Thanks

John

Comment

What version of Homeseer 3 did you purchase?

The Zee-2 entire Homeseer 3 program is not downloadable; only the updates are that I know of. Here I purchased the Zee-2 image, booted it up and wrote it to a new microSD card, then copied out the HomeSeer directory and started from scratch.

Note that the Zee-2 image is a built in boot reimage thing in case your microsd card gets trashed.

You can download Homeseer 3 (standard or pro).

Easy to do this via ssh.

1 - SSH to the RPi2
      2 - sudo su
      3 - cd /usr/bin
      4 - wget hxxp://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_208.tar.gz
      5 - tar xavf hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_208.tar.gz

6 - V.208 has a built in update button so you do not have to update via SSH.

hs3_linux_3_0_0_208.tar.gz is the entire HomeSeer 3 directory.

hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_208.tar.gz is the update.
      Last edited by Pete; November 9, 2015, 02:05 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete

Homeseer untared without error. However I can not find the HomeSeer folder.

Because of some previous errors and not finding files where I expected them, I am beginning to suspect that I did not create the user homeseer correctly.

I think I will start over in the morning.

homeseer@watchman1 ~ $ cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
        bash: cd: /usr/local/HomeSeer: No such file or directory

thanks

John

Comment

Un tarring the Homeseer .tar.gz file creates a HomeSeer directory in the same place you untarred the file.

It is there.

Just do a cd . (dot) or cd /root, ls, cd /usr/local/HomeSeer, ls

You have to do a sort of refresh of what you did after you untar.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

John,

I'm sorry I mistyped Homeseer's folder name above. This probably added to the confusion... My bad.

As Pete has already answered, the correct folder, created when you uncompress the tar.gz file you downloaded is "HomeSeer".

The location of the folder creation depends on were you "were", at the moment you issued the tar command to uncompress the file you downloaded.

Let me try to explain: If you were logged as the root user, when you downloaded the compressed (tar.gz) file, it will be located at the /root folder. When you uncompress it, with the tar command, then the HomeSeer folder will be located at /root/HomeSeer, because the HomeSeer folder created by the uncompress command will be a child of the folder where you are located when you issue the tar uncompress command.

Likewise, if you were logged as a user named 'homeseer', the downloaded file will be at /home/homeseer and the folder created by the tar uncompress command will be at /home/homeseer/HomeSeer.

And lastly, only after you have the folder created by the tar uncompress command explained above, you should move it from the location were the folder were created to its desired location, which is a child of /usr/local. The end folder, therefore, will be /usr/local/HomeSeer

I hope it's clearer now.

Comment

thanks guys. I am trying a different approach this time I am using Rob's image and Pete's instructions.

I discovered something useful, even with better software for unzipping, files on a Mac, it is unreliable. I was unable to get Rob's image to work at all until I used Apple Pi Baker to both unzip and create the disk image. I can't say enough good things about this free app.

Pete, when I run updates on webmin logged in as root or homeseer, I get an error message on each item in the update list;

There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

Any Idea what I did wrong?

Thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Does this look right?

yes

SSH over the RPi2 remotely via root or sudoer.

via sudoer type:

1 - sudo apt-get install update
                1 - sudo apt-get mono-complete
                2 - sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc
                3 - sudo apt-get install chromium-bsu

It will take a bit to install.

When finished type

sudo mono -V

and print out what you see here. Next is sound and speech stuff.
                when I finished this set of instructions, I got a different result after sudo mono -v than I did on the previous attempt that you verified.

root@RPi2:/# sudo mono -v
                Usage is: mono [options] program [program-options]

Development:
                --aot[=<options>] Compiles the assembly to native code
                --debug[=<options>] Enable debugging support, use --help-debug for details
                --debugger-agent=options Enable the debugger agent
                --profile[=profiler] Runs in profiling mode with the specified profiler module
                --trace[=EXPR] Enable tracing, use --help-trace for details
                --jitmap Output a jit method map to /tmp/perf-PID.map
                --help-devel Shows more options available to developers

Runtime:
                --config FILE Loads FILE as the Mono config
                --verbose, -v Increases the verbosity level
                --help, -h Show usage information
                --version, -V Show version information
                --runtime=VERSION Use the VERSION runtime, instead of autodetecting
                --optimize=OPT Turns on or off a specific optimization
                Use --list-opt to get a list of optimizations
                --security[=mode] Turns on the unsupported security manager (off by default)
                mode is one of cas, core-clr, verifiable or validil
                --attach=OPTIONS Pass OPTIONS to the attach agent in the runtime.
                Currently the only supported option is 'disable'.
                --llvm, --nollvm Controls whenever the runtime uses LLVM to compile code.
                --gc=[sgen,boehm] Select SGen or Boehm GC (runs mono or mono-sgen)
                root@RPi2:/# reboot

Broadcast message from root@RPi2 (pts/0) (Wed Nov 11 21:52:12 2015):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
                root@RPi2:/# Connection to 192.168.1.74 closed by remote host.
                Connection to 192.168.1.74 closed.
                Johns-Mac-Pro:~ jl_photo$ ssh 192.168.1.74 -l root
                root@192.168.1.74's password:
                Linux RPi2 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
                the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
                individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
                permitted by applicable law.
                Last login: Sat Jan 31 15:23:35 2015

Comment

When I search for HomeSeer using locate, I get the following, none of which seem to be correct. I searched using both root and homeseer.

homeseer@RPi2 / $ locate HomeSeer
                  /usr/bin/HomeSeerAPI.dll
                  /usr/bin/bin/HomeSeerUtil.dll
                  /usr/bin/html/images/HomeSeer
                  /usr/bin/html/images/HomeSeer/classic
                  /usr/bin/html/images/HomeSeer/contemporary
                  /usr/bin/html/images/HomeSeer/status
                  /usr/bin/html/images/HomeSeer/ui

One of the errors I suspect I am making is using the wrong command prompt condition. I notice that after many operations, the command prompt has been changed to a different directory. Is there a default condition that I should return to such as homeseer@RPi2 / $ unless otherwise instructed?

When should I use root, when should I use homeseer?

Thanks

John
                  Last edited by JohnD; November 12, 2015, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Apologies John.

I am totally lost now here with your endeavour.

Pete, when I run updates on webmin logged in as root or homeseer, I get an error message on each item in the update list;
                    There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
                    Any Idea what I did wrong?

I have never seen this. The only errors I have every seen is relating to an issue with DNS. Test DNS by just SSHing and pinging google. IE: ping www.google.com

Remove webmin and reinstall it using sudo (sudo everything - don't skip this part). Easier if you do a sudo su once.

Make sure that homeseer user is a sudoer.

root@RPi2:/# sudo mono -v

only works with upppercase V

I have untarred files on Wintel way long time ago. Today only untar the files via SSH command line on the RPi2. I would recommend that you only untar the files while in the RPi2 SSH session.

From the above /usr/bin/ stuff looks that you untarred your Homeseer files to /usr/bin and the untar didn't create a directory.

Note above one file is just an update and the other is the whole Homeseer installation. You only utilize the update file within the HomeSeer directory and the install file outside if that makes sense.

1 - cd /usr/local
                    2 - wget homeseer file
                    3 - untar homeseer file

This will create a HomeSeer directory that looks like this /usr/local/HomeSeer

To update Homeseer (you do not need to do this anymore as it is included in the GUI)

1 - cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
                    2 - wget homeseerupdatefile
                    3 - untar homeseerupdatefile.
                    Last edited by Pete; November 12, 2015, 08:57 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm considering setting up a RPi2, but I would want to run Win10 IoT so I could move my configuration over and use Mr Happy's CC plug-in.

Are there any significant advantages to Linux (and the other version of HS3) that I'd be giving up?

Comment

http://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux...0_0_208.tar.gz
                        18. tar xavf hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_208.tar.gz

19. sudo mv Homeseer /usr/local

Comment

My two cents:

When you issue command 14, you end up logged on as user homeseer. At this moment, your current folder will be /home/homeseer

When you issue the command in step 15, the prompt will change from a $ to home/homeseer#. The # is an indication that you now have superuser power and do not need to use the su prefix at each command. You are at the same place on the tree structure: home/homeseer

There is no need for command 16 at all.

When you issue command 17, the compressed file will be downloaded to the current folder, resulting in a tar.gz file located at /home/homeseer. Please note that the correct file to download at this moment is 'hs3_linux_3_0_0_208.tar.gz" and not the one you mentioned above. The one you mention is the UPDATE file. The one I refer to is the full HS3 version 208 file.

When you issue command 18, you end up with a folder named HomeSeer under your current location. So now you've got /home/homeseer/HomeSeer. The last one is the folder you need to move to /usr/local, which is the purpose of command number 19.

Please note there is a minor but fundamental error in your command 19 above: As mentioned before, the folder name created by the tar command is HomeSeer. So the correct command number 19, would be 'mv /home/homeseer/HomeSeer /usr/local'.

Comment

@John,

You are doing fine. Baby steps. You are almost there. Look at step #16. This part cuts out the mv piece.

OR

14. ssh to the RPi2 as homeseer
                            15. sudo su
                            16. cd /usr/local
                            17. wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux...0_0_208.tar.gz
                            18. tar xavf hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_208.tar.gz

The only purpose to Webmin is to provide a management/monitoring web based GUI for your RPi2 such that you do not have to SSH to the RPi2.

Let's title the DIY to

Raspberry PI2 base OS and Homeseer Install using a MAC

Eh John?
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I think I have it correct now. Webmin works everything seems to have installed correctly. What is the next step? This should be a good rough draft for the DIY Mac instructions. I suspect that the order of operations could be improved and there may be duplication and redundancies that need to be addressed.

1. Format SD card using Apple Pi Baker Prep for NOOBS button do not use a large card. 4 or 8 gig at most.
                              2. Load rmasonjr disk image using Apple Pi Baker on Mac using the Restore Backup button, Pi Baker will reliably unzip the compressed image and install it correctly on the SD card. Do not try to unzip the file by other means. eject card, then quit Pi Baker.

3. ssh to RPi2 as homeseer@RPi2 ~ $

4. sudo raspi-config expand filesystem and change keyboard to your local. Use generic keyboard unless you know exactly what keyboard you use and never use a different one.

5. exit with reboot from raspi-config

6. sudo apt-get update answer y to any y/n questions
                              7. sudo apt-get upgrade answer y to any y/n questions

8. sudo reboot

9. sudo apt-get update
                              10. sudo apt-get upgrade

11. reboot then ssh back in as homeseer

12. sudo shutdown -h now wait for a few moments, power down Pi and remove card

13. backup disk image, name as version 1.0 using Apple Pi Baker Create Backup button, properly eject SD card, reinsert card into Pi and power up. Quit Pi Baker after each use, it works more reliably this way.

14. ssh back into homeseer

stop mono from upgrading to the latest but incompatible version by inserting these two lines in the folder /etc/apt/sources.list by executing this command;

15. sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list copy paste the two lines below control o return to save control x to exit

deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/3.12.0 main
                              deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib

16. sudo apt-get update

17. sudo apt-get install mono-complete

18. wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.770_all.deb

19. sudo dpkg --install webmin_1.770_all.deb

20. sudo apt-get -f install ‘To fix some unmet dependancies’

21. sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc

22. sudo apt-get install chromium-bsu

23. sudo apt-get update

24. sudo apt-get upgrade

25. Reboot

26. sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

27. sudo nano /etc/modules needs to have line: snd_bcm2835

28. sudo apt-get install mplayer

29. sudo nano /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to add line: nolirc=yes

30. sudo apt-get install libttspico-utils ‘this doesn’t work omit’

31. sudo apt-get install flite

32. sudo su

33. cd /usr/local

34. wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3_linux_3_0_0_208.tar.gz ‘changed per Cesar’

35. tar xavf hs3_linux_3_0_0_208.tar.gz ‘changed per Cesar’

36. mv /home/homeseer/HomeSeer /usr/local “did not use per Pete’

what is the next step? how do I start Homeseer?

Thanks

John
                              Last edited by JohnD; November 12, 2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Looks good, John.

Since in step 33 you moved to the desired folder location for the download and uncompress of the HS3 for Linux tar.gz file, step 36 is indeed unnecessary.

Once you successfully run the uncompress command in step 35. You should end up with a folder named 'HomeSeer' being created by the uncompress command (so you end up with '/usr/local/HomeSeer').

The next step is to change the current folder to it, by issuing the following command:

cd /usr/local/HomeSeer

And, finally, you can run HS3 for Linux, by issuing the following:

./go

You should then see a lot of startup messages display at your terminal screen.

Then, you can open a browser from any computer in your network, pointing to http://find.homeseer.com

Once the page displays, press the 'Search...' button on it, which should present you with a list of your current running instances of HS3 for Linux (there should be only one line).

From then on, use the browser to administer HS3 for Linux, by clicking on the link under the SYSTEM column. At this point I would recommend you do not use the Maintenance link.

Good job!
                                Cesar

Comment

Working...
                                X