HS3 Speaker Client - Not Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Speaker Client - Not Starting

Finally got most of my devices scripts transferred from HS2 to HS3. Just started working on the speaking items and realized the speaker client wasn't on... tried restarting HS, restarting the computer, etc... doesn't turn on. Went the speaker client to start it manually. I don't see an icon in the tray, but if I open task manager, I see it starts for about 20 seconds and the disappears. I am I missing something?

Thanks,
    dave

Any errors in your HS log file? What OS are you running HS3 on?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Running Windows 8.1.

Homeseer startup log shows the following (deleting non speaker events). There are no errors in statup log.

8/3/2015 12:06:41 AM ~!~Startup~!~Start automation engine...
      8/3/2015 12:06:41 AM ~!~Startup~!~Initializing Speaker Client Interface
      8/3/2015 12:06:41 AM ~!~Speech~!~Listening for remote speaker connections on port 10401
      8/3/2015 12:06:41 AM ~!~Info~!~Starting speaker client...

There is no speaker Client icon in the system tray.
      There is no speaker.exe in the Task Manager

If I force open Speaker, It shows in the Task Manager just for a few seconds. then disappears.

In the normal Running HS Log speaker only shows up as a keyword on the following lines (which seem to match the startup log). forcing open the speaker client does not add anything to the log.

Aug-03 12:06:12 AM Startup Creating Speaker Client Interface Object...

Aug-03 12:06:41 AM Startup Initializing Speaker Client Interface

Aug-03 12:06:41 AM Speech Listening for remote speaker connections on port 10401

Aug-03 12:06:41 AM Info Starting speaker client...

Aug-03 12:06:42 AM Startup (Startup.vb script) No speaker clients detected, waiting up to 30 seconds for any to connect...

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

Here and its been a while had some issues with the firewall / security relating to running Homeseer Speaker on Windows 8.1. I did get it going (it is today) on my current Windows 8.1 test touchscreen combo client. I have installed it with the old Homeseer Neospeech MS SAPI 32 bit voices on my Atom Baytrail mini PC.

Today on my Homeseer 3 Pro box running in Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit I am running a virtual box of Windows Server in 32 bit mode and getting audio wave / TTS from that
        instance.

The speaker dot exe running on the VB of the Wintel server box starts before Homeseer 3 finishes starting on Ubuntu. So the speaker logs show it first not connecting then connecting to the instance.

Relating to the errors you see on W81; have you looked at the MS Event log and does it show anything?

Best guess here is to manually start speaker dot exe and watch the Homeseer Speaker logs (for those few seconds it is running) as it is more descriptive than the Homeseer logs of the speaker client.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Same here after upgrade to Win10. On Windows 8.1 it was working

Comment

There are errors in the Windows logs.

1st Error - .net runtime error

Application: Speaker.exe
            Framework Version: v4.0.30319
            Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
            Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
            Stack:
            at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplic ationBase.DoApplicationModel()
            at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplic ationBase.Run(System.String[])
            at Speaker.My.MyApplication.Main(System.String[])

2nd error - Application error

Faulting application name: Speaker.exe, version: 3.0.0.4, time stamp: 0x559d3589
            Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d4548
            Exception code: 0xe0434352
            Fault offset: 0x00012eec
            Faulting process id: 0x1dd4
            Faulting application start time: 0x01d0ce1e9b7a9319
            Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Speaker.exe
            Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
            Report Id: d94f3534-3a11-11e5-9c56-001cc058c642
            Faulting package full name:
            Faulting package-relative application ID:

3rd error - Windows reporting error.

Fault bucket 128876768906, type 5
            Event Name: CLR20r3
            Response: Not available
            Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
            P1: Speaker.exe
            P2: 3.0.0.4
            P3: 559d3589
            P4: System.Windows.Forms
            P5: 4.0.30319.34209
            P6: 53489a36
            P7: c2b
            P8: 36
            P9: System.InvalidOperationException
            P10:

Attached files:
            C:\Users\Hal_2\AppData\Local\Temp\WER320B.tmp.WERInternalMet adata.xml

These files may be available here:
            C:\Users\Hal_2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArc hive\AppCrash_Speaker.exe_1b5dbeae286837632e43fc04acb3b9808e 3b5_0cf630ce_210533df

Analysis symbol:
            Rechecking for solution: 0
            Report Id: d94f3534-3a11-11e5-9c56-001cc058c642
            Report Status: 0
            Hashed bucket: 0929846b7562152ae944571f85656f09

Comment

Do you have the .net 4.0 framework loaded on this PC?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Shows 3.5 and 4.5, but just to be sure, I download 4.0. install shows the followng.

Details

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable. <A HREF="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=164207">More information</A>.

Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer.

Comment

Actually with the dot net stuff these days it is just a page of extras that you enable or disable. I forgot where it is at. Just optional stuff. That said when you go to install it; it will say or not if it is installed but not whether it is enabled. It's been a while but I used use some tool that would put your dot net configuration on one GUI along with the service packs and versions of dot net.

I am not using dot net 4.0 or 4.5 on the Wintel server and continue to use dot net 3.5 (which included everything before). That said thinking as speaker dot exe is a 32 bit application it really doesn't need much. I am currently running speaker dot exe on my XP embedded touch tablets just fine these days and the build is just some 4Gb with 2 Neospeech text fonts.

I did not install speaker dot exe on the touchscreen clients though. I installed HS3 then kept removing stuff in the directory that wasn't needed. (off the main OP here though).

Yeah; 4.5 is all inclusive. Try removing 4.5 / 4.0 / 3.5 and then using a Microsoft dot net cleaning program (google it) then try with dot 3.5 and see if speaker dot exe works.

It should be fine.

Another thing well noticed with Windows 7 64 bit (not W81 or W10) is that Windows 7 64 bit didn't include the speech control applet for 32 bit speech. That said the base 32 bit pieces are there and it works testing speaker dot exe with a variety of voice fonts. You can manually copy the old 32 bit sapi speech control applet to test it if you want.

Thinking that all has been fixed now in Windows 10 such that these issues do not come up.

OK here went looking on the W81 box running HSTouch 3 and HS Speaker.

Go to
                  1 - Control Panel ==>
                  2 - All Control Panel Items ==>
                  3 - Programs and Features ==>
                  4 - Top left it saids Control Panel Home, View Installed Updates and Turn Windows features on or off
                  5 - click on this text
                  6 - a box will open up that saids Windows Features
                  7 - In that box you will see what options are turned on or off.
                  8 - Geez just checked here and .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) box is NOT checked rather
                  9 - .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services is checked and Internet Explorer 11, Media Features, Print and Document services, Remote Differential Compression API Support, SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, Windows Location Provider, Windows PowerShell 2.0, Work Folders Client, XPS Services and XPS Viewer are checked.

Well too you can load and install Speech SDK 5.1 from Microsoft here. It will not break anything to install this.

Checking on the Speech Recognition applet in W81 I get a box that saids Speech Properties.

Language is Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - US). If I go to the speech tab I do see my NeoSpeech Kate / Paul 16k under the three Microsoft included voice selections. I would personally check and test this first. By default speaker dot exe uses what is here driver wise.

One thing just noticed is that I am getting an MS tickle that want to confirm who and what and where I am at...thinking to shut off that geo stuff; it irritates me.

Note that here I just copied over a bunch of files in to a directory called HS3 Speaker and created a link to speaker dot exe and it runs fine. Nothing in logs cuz it just connects to my HS3 box (well running in Linux Ubuntu 64 bit). (Hodge podge here is speaker dot exe running on whatever Wintel talking to Ubuntu HS3).

I have included a windowed version of KODI below as it streams HD live TV just fine while I can do other stuff here in W81. No pixelation or jitters when streaming.

Note too this is all on an Intel Atom Baytrail running off of 2Gb RAM and on 32Gb of MMC in a tiny box smaller than a paperback.

BTW opened the speaker dot exe application as user and administrator and both are working fine.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; August 3, 2015, 05:11 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

what does this mean?

Error (in log)

DeSerializing object (byte): Couldn't find type 'A.cb99c99729402f641d5b80229dc8a0905+clsSelectorData' in assembly 'Scheduler' Source=mscorlib

running
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.194 (Linux) on
                    HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL-PRO

started after last sw update

Comment

For those getting a problem with running the speaker client on windows 10 (instant crash with the above fault), try installing the feature pack:
                      https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=49919

Note this is an updated feature pack, the older one no longer works with newer builds of windows 10. Any N flavour of windows doesn't have the media components like media player, which speaker client initialises for playback - unfortunately it just crashes rather than traps and report a useful error.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
                        For those getting a problem with running the speaker client on windows 10 (instant crash with the above fault), try installing the feature pack:
                        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=49919

Note this is an updated feature pack, the older one no longer works with newer builds of windows 10. Any N flavour of windows doesn't have the media components like media player, which speaker client initialises for playback - unfortunately it just crashes rather than traps and report a useful error.
                        I installed that, rebooted, and still getting the same instant crashing. Any other ideas? It's a crappy Vulcan Journey Windows 10-32 tablet.

Comment

After months of jerking around with the speaker client, what I just uncovered today is that even though the errors are .NET related, the problem isn't .NET. The speaker client relies on something from the "Media Features Pack" that you install to add windows media player to a windows 8+ system. Discovered this the hard way after doing a fresh install of Windows 8 and 10, then tried several things until I could get it working.

I hope this helps the next guy not pull his all his hair out getting things it working.

-Justin

Comment

Working...
                          X