Log Filter weirdness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log Filter weirdness?

I noticed when looking at the HS3 log today that even though it's showing me today's log entries (12/31/2015), it only goes to 12/30/2015 on the drop down filter range. How odd.

Anyone else have this?
    Attached Files

Did you select the Apply button?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Did you select the Apply button?
      Don't you have to select the date first? The date range widgets stop at 12/30.

Comment

Check the HS GUI window for errors when you start HS up, it might say something about the DB being malformed. If so remove the database out of the logs directory and restart and it should create you a new file and work again.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          Check the HS GUI window for errors when you start HS up, it might say something about the DB being malformed. If so remove the database out of the logs directory and restart and it should create you a new file and work again.
          No errors, and the log is working fine (showing today's entries). I just can't filter on today's entries.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
            No errors, and the log is working fine (showing today's entries). I just can't filter on today's entries.
            I had that happen once and clicking on "Reset" got the dropdown populated. If that doesn't work try restarting HomeSeer.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I don't know if I've missed something here but I have had a similar issue with HS3 ever since I first installed it and the only way I've ever been able to resolve the issue is to stop HS3 and delete the log before restarting. Of course that begs the question why you would have a log at all since doing that renders the log virtually useless IMO. Just to be clear, I'll explain the current situation.

Yesterday I stopped HS3, deleted the log and restarted as I have many times before. At that point, all looks good. I could view the log and filter to my heart's content. Now today when I look at the log unfiltered, I can see entries for today (26th of Jan) but no entries for the 25th. If I attempt to filter, I get only the 25th as a valid date in the drop down for the date range and if I apply without adding anything to the filter I see only entries for the 25th and at the bottom of the page it says there are around 11,000 entries. If I then hit the reset button, I see only entries for the 26th and at the bottom it says there are around 1700 entries.

Is this common behavior? Why is the date drop down not populated correctly? Why when I reset the filter can I not see all log entries? To me it looks like a serious bug and nothing I have been able to find in these forums indicates that there is a fix. Can anyone please help me to overcome this as I have had this frustration from day one and seriously want to see the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by philzgr8 View Post
                I don't know if I've missed something here but I have had a similar issue with HS3 ever since I first installed it and the only way I've ever been able to resolve the issue is to stop HS3 and delete the log before restarting. Of course that begs the question why you would have a log at all since doing that renders the log virtually useless IMO. Just to be clear, I'll explain the current situation.

Yesterday I stopped HS3, deleted the log and restarted as I have many times before. At that point, all looks good. I could view the log and filter to my heart's content. Now today when I look at the log unfiltered, I can see entries for today (26th of Jan) but no entries for the 25th. If I attempt to filter, I get only the 25th as a valid date in the drop down for the date range and if I apply without adding anything to the filter I see only entries for the 25th and at the bottom of the page it says there are around 11,000 entries. If I then hit the reset button, I see only entries for the 26th and at the bottom it says there are around 1700 entries.

Is this common behavior? Why is the date drop down not populated correctly? Why when I reset the filter can I not see all log entries? To me it looks like a serious bug and nothing I have been able to find in these forums indicates that there is a fix. Can anyone please help me to overcome this as I have had this frustration from day one and seriously want to see the end of it.
                It is not common, nor does it seem to be many users. In two years I've never lost a log entry and only once were the drop downs not properly populated. That one time a "reset" on the log page cured it. I keep 90 days of logs.

If you could state the HS version, O/S and hardware you are running on it might help to narrow it down.

Also note that the log is a database file and can become corrupted with a improper shutdown and the log is stored in RAM on the Z so it is lost at reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  It is not common, nor does it seem to be many users. In two years I've never lost a log entry and only once were the drop downs not properly populated. That one time a "reset" on the log page cured it. I keep 90 days of logs.

If you could state the HS version, O/S and hardware you are running on it might help to narrow it down.

Also note that the log is a database file and can become corrupted with a improper shutdown and the log is stored in RAM on the Z so it is lost at reboot.
                  Thanks for the response Randy. I am running the following: "HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)" This is running on Windows Small Business Server 2011 SP1. The Hardware is Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.4 Ghz with 16Gb RAM. My server runs fairly critical services for my home so I am generally very careful to ensure proper shutdowns when required. I have had errors reported in the past of malformed data but that is not currently the case. The log is currently configured to retain 7 days or 20mb of data.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
                  Thanks,

Phil

Comment

Thanks for the response Randy. I am running the following: "HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)" This is running on Windows Small Business Server 2011 SP1. The Hardware is Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.4 Ghz with 16Gb RAM. My server runs fairly critical services for my home so I am generally very careful to ensure proper shutdowns when required. I have had errors reported in the past of malformed data but that is not currently the case. The log is currently configured to retain 7 days or 20mb of data.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
                    Thanks,

Phil
                    That hardware and software should be reliable. I currently run under Windows 10, but have run on my Windows Server 2012r2. My first thought would be file permissions, since the server is generally more strictly controlled and coupled with the fact that HomeSeer puts everything in a directory under Program Files (x86), against Microsoft's best practices recommendations. As a result permissions on the HomeSeer HS3 folder have to be correctly set. I made a post on this here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...77&postcount=5

I had to do this to get it to run properly on the Server O/S.

Are you trying to run as a service or as a logged in user? Unfortunately HomeSeer is designed to be run in user mode and trying to run it in any other mode than under a logged in user can result in problems.

Comment

That hardware and software should be reliable. I currently run under Windows 10, but have run on my Windows Server 2012r2. My first thought would be file permissions, since the server is generally more strictly controlled and coupled with the fact that HomeSeer puts everything in a directory under Program Files (x86), against Microsoft's best practices recommendations. As a result permissions on the HomeSeer HS3 folder have to be correctly set. I made a post on this here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...77&postcount=5

I had to do this to get it to run properly on the Server O/S.

Are you trying to run as a service or as a logged in user? Unfortunately HomeSeer is designed to be run in user mode and trying to run it in any other mode than under a logged in user can result in problems.
                      Thanks Randy. I've now set those permissions and I'll see how it goes although I'd have thought that without the correct permissions I would not have seen any log but it wouldn't be the only thing about Windows I don't fully understand.

I am running HS3 in a kind of hybrid mode whereby I do not log in to the console but use a scheduled task to run it at startup. This is done with the highest privileges using the Administrator's credentials. I have tried running it in the console as a test but that makes no difference to what I'm seeing in the log. Clearly I'd prefer to run it as a service but I'm not sure that there is a reliable way to do that.

Comment

OK, I have now reset the permissions on the HS3 base folder and all child folders although I was forced to take ownership (Administrator account) in order to do so. I then restarted HS3 and checked the logs once again. Sadly, the issue persists in that the only date available to me in the date range filter is the 25th of Jan even though the 26th is now around 5 hours old and with the filter reset I can clearly see data for the 26th. To me this seems more like a functionality issue in terms of the way the date range in the filter is populated. Do you have any understanding of how that works?

Comment

OK, I have now reset the permissions on the HS3 base folder and all child folders although I was forced to take ownership (Administrator account) in order to do so. I then restarted HS3 and checked the logs once again. Sadly, the issue persists in that the only date available to me in the date range filter is the 25th of Jan even though the 26th is now around 5 hours old and with the filter reset I can clearly see data for the 26th. To me this seems more like a functionality issue in terms of the way the date range in the filter is populated. Do you have any understanding of how that works?
                          I wish I could offer more help. Maybe someone else has an idea. I have freely moved my complete installation between the dedicated machine running Windows 10, a couple of VMs and running on the Server 2012 directly and it has been working without issue. It really seems that something is hosing your log file and it seems odd that the HomeSeer database is not affected.

If I had the problem, I would suspect it would be something unique to my installation and I would take a backup (through HomeSeer), move or rename the HomeSeer HS3 directory, reinstall HomeSeer and all plug-ins then restore from the backup, possibly deleting the log file before restarting.

The HomeSeer backup just saves data files, config and script folders. This way all of the program files are reinstalled.

Comment

I wish I could offer more help. Maybe someone else has an idea. I have freely moved my complete installation between the dedicated machine running Windows 10, a couple of VMs and running on the Server 2012 directly and it has been working without issue. It really seems that something is hosing your log file and it seems odd that the HomeSeer database is not affected.

If I had the problem, I would suspect it would be something unique to my installation and I would take a backup (through HomeSeer), move or rename the HomeSeer HS3 directory, reinstall HomeSeer and all plug-ins then restore from the backup, possibly deleting the log file before restarting.

The HomeSeer backup just saves data files, config and script folders. This way all of the program files are reinstalled.
                            Thanks Randy. I'm sure I could do that and indeed it may well come to that if I can't find a fix. In the meanwhile, I'm trawling through my log with a sqlite viewer to see if there's anything in there to help. I think it may make sense before getting heavy with it if I delete the log once more and monitor it for a few more days to see if the permissions have made a difference.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Log Filter Date Range not Updating

I'm repeatedly having issues where I can't filter the logs on the current date after midnight. Pressing Reset or Clear View has no effect, I can't select today's date or anything by yesterday's date. I'm using the latest Chrome browser. Refreshing the browser page also doesn't help.

The log shows current entries when no filter is applied, but I can't filter on the dates / today. As you can see from the attached screenshot, today is Jan 22nd but the date range only shows the 21st as the only available option. Both Date Range dropdowns only show the 21st. Assume the Reset button should reset those selectors to show the last 24 hours or at least the current day but it doesn't. Really it should default to the last 36 hours because currently when checking the log at 1am I typically only see an hour worth of logs without having to fiddle with the Date Range values.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
                              Linux version: Linux Si-HomeSeer 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3 (2017-12-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 2 Days 3 Hours 56 Minutes 27 Seconds
                              Number of Devices: 606
                              Number of Events: 222
                              Available Threads: 190

Enabled Plug-Ins
                              3.0.0.12: AirplaySpeak
                              3.0.0.56: DSC Security
                              3.0.0.43: EasyTrigger
                              3.0.0.39: EnvisaLink
                              3.0.1.184: Z-Wave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...