HS2 to HS3 .. now it is time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 to HS3 .. now it is time

I am a firm believer if it is not broke, do not fix it .. but it looks like it is time to move to HS2 as I have to move from XP to W10 anyway ..

I have a 65+ device/70+ event HS2 enviroment, to move to HS3.

I have read what I can about the conversion .. but it looks like this will be at least an 80+ hour exercise.

I have tried the Conversion utility .. and it appears to have done nothing as I see no devices or events that were converted.

As a result, before the plunge .. if I can ask for help . .I am ..

We have read the "Upgrading from HS2 to HS3" which is very general and basically indicates .. start all over.

If I can ask .. those that have gone thru this .. what suggestions do you have to make this as painless a conversion as possible.

Multi thanks for any suggestions.

tanx .. Don

Hi Don,

For 65 devices and 70 events it should not take anywhere near 80 hours unless they are very complex events. What type of devices are they and what plugins are you using under HS2? Depending on the plugin, the devices will be recreated by the HS3 version of it. You will have to rename them manually and events will need to be recreated from scratch.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Think of it as a learning experience.

Here the variables, triggers, scripts and plugins were running so long I forgot the specficis of what they did.

Today Homeseer 3 is more related to the browser GUI and there are no real pieces needed on the console to have to configure or watch.

I did start here originally with the use of the conversion utility and first generation of Homeseer 3 and Wintel Homeseer 3 then....

.... went to using Linux.

For the time bean keeping to embedded Wintel for the touch consoles, Microsoft SAPI for the old voice fonts, Kinect because...and now the beginning of AI with the Alexa...

Do baby steps; a bit at a time; savour the conversion...don't think of it as an 80 hour exercise; rather do not put time to it; it'll go by so faster that way.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would keep HS2 running and slowly migrate to HS3 and take your time. This way your should have a clean install from the start.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I treated it like a garage cleanout...

Going into my events was like going into a garage that is stacked with stuff I didnt even know I needed. After a few days I had only the events that I really needed and had a lot of old scripts and events that I got rid of.

I was also able to improve on some of the events that needed some updating. So you roll up the sleeves and dig in. For me it was not an easy transition, there was a learning curve but nothing you cant handle. So it wasnt easy, but it wasnt overy challenging either.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I have X10 (or X10 compatable), Insteon, RCS Thermostats

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              I would keep HS2 running and slowly migrate to HS3 and take your time. This way your should have a clean install from the start.
              I agree with Rupp. Start from scratch and build fresh. You system doesn't sound overly complex. Build a new HS3 system and do a manual migration by creating your events anew. As noted earlier, most of your devices will be recreated automagically. I think the end result will be cleaner and better, and you'll learn the new Event engine much better.

I was looking at doing my migration when my HS2 server died. While I could have easily restored a backup to another systen and done a migration upgrade, I chose to just start fresh and I'm glad I did.

Just my .02....ymmv.
              My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by djbeam View Post
                I have X10 (or X10 compatable), Insteon, RCS Thermostats
                For devices with power line control, like X10, you can run the plug-in on both systems simultaneously. The HS3 X10 plug-in has some rough edges, but I've found that you can make it work quite well with some attention to detail. I'm using an XTB-232 PIM and am seeing excellent performance.

The RCS serial thermostat plug-in for HS3 only supports one thermostat, so I'm still running HS2 just to connect to the thermostat until I get around to replacing mine with something that has a working HS3 plug-in. If you have the RCS X10 thermostats you may have a similar problem. You definitely need to do some homework on those.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                X