Power Failure Recovery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Failure Recovery Question

I understand what it means to include an event in Power Failure Recovery. What does it mean to include a device in PFR? Does it override the event? In other words, if an event that is included in PFR refers to a device that is not included, is that device skipped during PFR?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

I'm also curious how Power Failure affects events...

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
      I understand what it means to include an event in Power Failure Recovery. What does it mean to include a device in PFR? Does it override the event? In other words, if an event that is included in PFR refers to a device that is not included, is that device skipped during PFR?
      That is the way it worked for me in testing. An Event marked to be included in Powerfailure Recovery will run if it was missed due to HomeSeer not running. It is subject to the time limit set in "Number of hours to catch-up". If the event is marked and within the time limit, it will run and all actions will be executed, except for device controls where the device "Include in power fail recovery:" is not checked.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        That is the way it worked for me in testing. An Event marked to be included in Powerfailure Recovery will run if it was missed due to HomeSeer not running. It is subject to the time limit set in "Number of hours to catch-up". If the event is marked and within the time limit, it will run and all actions will be executed, except for device controls where the device "Include in power fail recovery:" is not checked.
        So, I'm thinking, shouldn't that "include" box be checked by default when a device is created? I have to go through 126 devices to make sure the ones I want will be included. Just a thought.

Jim Speiser
        Still don't know squat

Comment

So, I'm thinking, shouldn't that "include" box be checked by default when a device is created? I have to go through 126 devices to make sure the ones I want will be included. Just a thought.
          If the box was checked by default, then you would have to select the devices you didn't want included. In my case the devices I would want included are a very small subset of my devices. Since I have over 1400 devices with probably 5-600 of them controllable, I would prefer to enable the devices I want included in recovery. When I started to think how I would want to handle actions from events over a long outage of several hours, there were but a few devices I wanted to "catch up". It turned out that everything was so conditional that it made more sense to create my own group of events specifically designed to bring my system back in sync. So now I check everything on restart making sure certain devices are in the proper state based upon time of day or other conditions.

I'm not saying that there is a good answer to whether the box should be checked by default or not, just that someone had to make a choice when designing the hierarchy of powerfail recovery devices and events.

It is just like the box "Run Only If Other Event Conditions are TRUE" under Run Another Event. One could argue that this box should be selected by default or (my preference) that the logic be reversed to make the section "Ignore Conditions in the Event". Either choice is OK and arguments can be made for both, but bigger problems could arise if they changed the logic after many learned how to expect it to behave.

Comment

OK, point taken.

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

An Event marked to be included in Powerfailure Recovery will run if it was missed due to HomeSeer not running.
              But how does HS know a [sensor] change happened an hour ago when power was off?

That is what I don't get...or is it ONLY for time triggered events.

Comment

Originally posted by AgileHumor View Post

It is only for triggers involving time.

Comment

It's only for time-triggered/recurring events. It can't know about events that should have been triggered by device changes, so best would be to create catch-up/sync events as Randy described earlier.

Cheers
                  Al
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

A change that happened during a power failure will NOT be registered. If a timed event was SUPPOSED to run during the power failure, then the PFR routine will activate it.

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

Since I have over 1400 devices with probably 5-600 of them controllable,
                      (I just had the world's longest double-take.) 1400 devices? May I ask, are you married? How's your WAF? I have 126 devices, and I'm constantly on the precipice of being handed a screwdriver and being told to "take it all out."

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Hi Randy ,

Can you show how you did manual create the catch-up events ?
                        So i can try to create Some events to resync my devices .

Thanks ,
                        Regards

If the box was checked by default, then you would have to select the devices you didn't want included. In my case the devices I would want included are a very small subset of my devices. Since I have over 1400 devices with probably 5-600 of them controllable, I would prefer to enable the devices I want included in recovery. When I started to think how I would want to handle actions from events over a long outage of several hours, there were but a few devices I wanted to "catch up". It turned out that everything was so conditional that it made more sense to create my own group of events specifically designed to bring my system back in sync. So now I check everything on restart making sure certain devices are in the proper state based upon time of day or other conditions.

I'm not saying that there is a good answer to whether the box should be checked by default or not, just that someone had to make a choice when designing the hierarchy of powerfail recovery devices and events.

It is just like the box "Run Only If Other Event Conditions are TRUE" under Run Another Event. One could argue that this box should be selected by default or (my preference) that the logic be reversed to make the section "Ignore Conditions in the Event". Either choice is OK and arguments can be made for both, but bigger problems could arise if they changed the logic after many learned how to expect it to behave.

Sended from far far away
                        Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                        Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

I am running a Zee S2 V5 with HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548. I have a main turn on lighting sequence Event that is timed on Sunset, the event has Option: Include in Power Fail Recovery enabled. Every Device (mostly Insteon with a few X10 and a couple Z-Wave) has the Include in Power Fail Recovery box checked. I have the Power Fail Recovery Settings at default (12 hrs, 30 sec) and enabled. I have never seen HS3 do a power fail recovery. Nor for that matter have I ever seen HS2 on my PC do one years ago.

In the last couple months our house has gone from having totally reliable power that fails maybe once every two years to failing twice a week. Something has gone wrong in our neighborhood distribution circuit which will hopefully be repaired soon. Tonight, power went off for 2 minutes, then later went off for 20 seconds twice before staying back on. It seems all the Insteon devices come back on in whatever state they were in when power failed. X10 Lamp Devices do not turn back on if they were on at power loss. But HS3 does not perform a Power Fail Recovery that I can see happening. Example the X10 devices do not turn back on if they were on at power failure and they are in the timed Event that turned them all on.

Is this is known bug or is this a feature that should run perfectly with no problem after every power failure?

Comment

(I just had the world's longest double-take.) 1400 devices? May I ask, are you married? How's your WAF? I have 126 devices, and I'm constantly on the precipice of being handed a screwdriver and being told to "take it all out."
                            How many of these are virtual lmao

Comment

That was five years ago. I now show 367 total devices. BUT....I've added a lot of Plug-Ins, which add a lot of child devices. UltraRachio, for instance. It creates.....holy crap, 74 devices, all virtual!

Which reminds me, has anyone heard from UltraJones lately? I've got like 3 messages to him, no answer so far. Is he OK?

Jim Speiser
                              Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
                              X