Network management- Amazon Echo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some HS3 users have expressed concern about the possibility of the Amazon Echo "always listening". I am not particularly concerned but there are times when I would like to disable the Echo. DInner guests, kids playing, overnight, etc.

Is there a way to use HS3 to shut down the wireless network connection(s) being used by the echo. I was thinking about using a separate wireless router only for the Echos. But I would rather not do that. Is there some way to temporarily "firewall" them?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Another idea... maybe. If you could figure out a way to wire in a zwave relay into the mute button the echo. Just thinking outside the box a little.

I know people get concerned about it always listening, but I would think they are the same people that are on facebook all the time which I would imagine is doing the same if not more data collecting on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
      Some HS3 users have expressed concern about the possibility of the Amazon Echo "always listening". I am not particularly concerned but there are times when I would like to disable the Echo. DInner guests, kids playing, overnight, etc.

Is there a way to use HS3 to shut down the wireless network connection(s) being used by the echo. I was thinking about using a separate wireless router only for the Echos. But I would rather not do that. Is there some way to temporarily "firewall" them?

Steve Q

Why not just push the mic button on the top??

Z

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
        Another idea... maybe. If you could figure out a way to wire in a zwave relay into the mute button the echo. Just thinking outside the box a little.

I know people get concerned about it always listening, but I would think they are the same people that are on facebook all the time which I would imagine is doing the same if not more data collecting on you.

Or plug it into a Zwave (or other controllable) outlet and control that from a status virtual device and/or schedule.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Use MAC address filtering on your wireless access and a script that removes Echo from the whitelist or adds it to the blacklist through the web management page.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
            Or plug it into a Zwave (or other controllable) outlet and control that from a status virtual device and/or schedule.

I thought about this too, but always get concerned with just powering on and off computers and corruption.

But I think it would work just as well with no issue and it's easy.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
              Use MAC address filtering on your wireless access and a script that removes Echo from the whitelist or adds it to the blacklist through the web management page.

Yes, this is what I would like to do. But how? I have no idea how to access my router with a script. Can you point me to an example.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Sorry I don't know html or know of an example. I use ssh and preshared keys to access my routers. It is easy in Linux to do something like that once manually via terminal and then record your commands as a bash script.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
                  Sorry I don't know html or know of an example. I use ssh and preshared keys to access my routers. It is easy in Linux to do something like that once manually via terminal and then record your commands as a bash script.

Ok, not using Linux. I use "Autoit3" for a few things. I suppose I could create/record an Autoit script for Windows 10. Not easy but possible. This approach is highly dependent on the graphics interface. I am running HS3 on a headless Dell3050 micro computer. I think it will be quite difficult to get this working reliably. Not sure it is worth the effort.

I was thinking of launching a firewall program that would block the Mac addresses of the echos. Then just kill the program when I want to use the Amazon echo.

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

Z

Not quite what I had in mind! This is an automation forum[emoji18]

But maybe there is a JSON command that will "electronically" push the button...... Any ideas? Does anyone have access to the API for the echo. This would be a really great approach!!

Steve Q

Comment

Here originally configured the Echo to a DDWRT'd AP and just SSH'd to the device shutting off the AP.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The problem with shutting off network connectivity to the Echo is that it will verbally complain when it loses Internet access to the mothership.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                          The problem with shutting off network connectivity to the Echo is that it will verbally complain when it loses Internet access to the mothership.

Yes, I did not think about that. Every time it hears "Alexa" the echo will say "I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet".

Perhaps the easiest way to disconnect the echo is to plug it into a Z-wave appliance module, then use HS3 to turn the module off. Not very cost effective.

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

You can say "Alexa, Volume level 1" and you will probably not hear her complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

Z

This actually can be used when you have the Amazon remote for the echo. Leave the echo mic always muted and just use the remote.

Maybe somebody will create an app for the iPhone that will mimic the Amazon remote. That would be great for people who are already using their smart phone to turn on/off their lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X