Woke up to all Three Garage Doors Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up to all Three Garage Doors Open

I looked out the window this morning and found all three of my garage bay doors wide open! This is the second time this has happened in about a year, both times first thing in the morning. Oddly enough there are no log entries for these occurrences. I know I didn't forget to close them because there are log entries for that. Normally there are log entries when the doors are activated even if I use the remote in the car.

Each door is controlled by a separate Insteon I/O Linc Output Relay with the relay controlling the openers and the sensor input controlling the overhead lights and cross-linking the status lights on eight-button keypads and the HS3 status page. There are no events in the database for these I/O relays and there is only one controller device (eight button keypad) that has all three I/O relays in common.

I am flummoxed by this one and obviously concerned for security reasons. Even if it was an external RF source triggering the openers, there would still be a log entry.

Has anyone experienced phantom events like this?

Some others have recently posted about similar issues with z-wave controlled garage doors. I use an IOLinc on my garage door as well and it has not happened to me. I have set HomeSeer to send a Pushover alert anytime the garage door is opened and closed and we also have a chime in the house that chimes when the door is opened and once every 10 minutes till it is closed. You may want to set up something like that in case it happens again.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Grant View Post
      I looked out the window this morning and found all three of my garage bay doors wide open! This is the second time this has happened in about a year, both times first thing in the morning. Oddly enough there are no log entries for these occurrences. I know I didn't forget to close them because there are log entries for that. Normally there are log entries when the doors are activated even if I use the remote in the car.

Each door is controlled by a separate Insteon I/O Linc Output Relay with the relay controlling the openers and the sensor input controlling the overhead lights and cross-linking the status lights on eight-button keypads and the HS3 status page. There are no events in the database for these I/O relays and there is only one controller device (eight button keypad) that has all three I/O relays in common.

I am flummoxed by this one and obviously concerned for security reasons. Even if it was an external RF source triggering the openers, there would still be a log entry.

Has anyone experienced phantom events like this?
      Any chance you had a power bump last night on the Insteon? That might explain the activation without notification...

Z

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        Some others have recently posted about similar issues with z-wave controlled garage doors. I use an IOLinc on my garage door as well and it has not happened to me. I have set HomeSeer to send a Pushover alert anytime the garage door is opened and closed and we also have a chime in the house that chimes when the door is opened and once every 10 minutes till it is closed. You may want to set up something like that in case it happens again.

Cheers
        Al
        I'm wondering if the alert would be activated if HS doesn't even log the incident. ??

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Grant View Post
          I'm wondering if the alert would be activated if HS doesn't even log the incident. ??
          Possibly not. I have a separate z-wave sensor on the door that triggers the alert.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
            Any chance you had a power bump last night on the Insteon? That might explain the activation without notification...

Z
            Well none of the clocks in the house were flashing this morning and the HS3 computer is on a UPS anyway. I have whole-house surge protection installed also. What gets me is that all three doors were open. There has to be a common denominator.

Comment

We have an ezio8 that has run our pool for several years. This spring we noticed the analog in was not reading the temperature properly. Then we were getting odd responses. Next it would report the status of the I/o wrong. Now it will cycle on and off at random. None of the behavior showed up in the log. We are switching our pool control anyways, so not terrible upset. I would suspect yours may be dieing also.

Comment

For my garage doors, I used an X-10 receptacle plug at one address, and plugged into it a powerflash module. The event to then open the door requires to turn on the receptacle first, then the powerflash module at a completely different address. I have never woken up to open doors despite using this old technology...

Robert
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

This may not be for everyone, but I only ever wanted HS to close my garage door, never open it. (for this very reason)

So what I did was I put a normally open contact in line with my iolinc this effectively makes it impossible for HS to trigger the garage door unless it is open.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
                  Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
                  Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by JHughes View Post
                    We have an ezio8 that has run our pool for several years. This spring we noticed the analog in was not reading the temperature properly. Then we were getting odd responses. Next it would report the status of the I/o wrong. Now it will cycle on and off at random. None of the behavior showed up in the log. We are switching our pool control anyways, so not terrible upset. I would suspect yours may be dieing also.
                    I thought of that also but it would seem unusual to have all three I/O devices die at the same time, not to mention having the same malfunction simultaneously occur.

Comment

Originally posted by codemonkey View Post
                      This may not be for everyone, but I only ever wanted HS to close my garage door, never open it. (for this very reason)

So what I did was I put a normally open contact in line with my iolinc this effectively makes it impossible for HS to trigger the garage door unless it is open.
                      That's a good idea. Is it a dry contact and what does it control? I assume that when the door is down that the contact is open, cutting the power to the I/O link. ???

Comment

I do 'close only' on my traditional openers and home automation. A relay is wired across the garage door buttons in a typical fashion but there is a switch inline that is only closed if the door is already open. If I want to let someone in while I am not there I give them a keypad code.

~Bill

Comment

I had my garage door tied to a relay on my caddx to open the door. Always worked well until the power went out, then the battery went dead on the alarm. While I was away. Once the power was restored, the relay cycled and opened the door.

Got to plan for all circumstances!
                          -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
                          Way2 Call
                          Elk M1 Gold
                          UPB HAI switches
                          HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
                            Got to plan for all circumstances!
                            Is that possible???
                            How long you been in home automation???

~Bill

Comment

I have had the same experience with lighting on with no log entry. Power blinks have happened when this occurs but the devices affected are not random.

I think this is just the state of the art in home automation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X