Help.. need help installing Homeseer z stick+ on raspberry pi3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help.. need help installing Homeseer z stick+ on raspberry pi3

Please help. I have searched everywhere and a novice we it comes to raspberry pi and Linux.

I am having issues installing the SmartStick+ on the Raspberry Pi 3.

I did manage to get everything else installed and working including HS3!

Thanks
    Last edited by csellebrecht; July 7, 2016, 10:42 PM.

Have you installed the zwave plug in?

Go to the zwave plug in config,
    Controller management and select the smart stick from the list.
    I have an aeon labs in the example.
    Then the port.
    You may need to try different ports until you find it from the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

there are a lot of ports..

No driver needs to be installed?

There has to be an easier way to install this thing, crazy

Comment

I never installed a driver.

There is write up on the web about identifying the ports. Offhand I can't remember plus I've not used the smartstick+ but the aeon labs and zwave.me sticks I've used have installed without any hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. I am very new to RPi so probably changed a few too many things in config.

I am starting from scratch and try it again. I am also trying a Razeberry z-wave and see how that does.

Any tips installing the Razeberry.

Thanks

Comment

Raspberry Pi 3 port for Smartstick

I too had an issue getting the Smartstick + to work and after trying 0 - 25 I found the port to work /dev/ttyACMO at the bottom of the list.

I set up my unit with with the software downloaded from the Raspberry Pi site. I have it running Real VNC server and client as well as RDP. I loaded the full Linux version of HS 3 with Smartstick +. I have a second Pi unit that I am going to go through the set up again to create a backup card and will document the process and post back here in a few days.

My primary purpose was to place the Raspberry Pi at my lake house to monitor my PC running HS 2 which interfaces into my HVAC and security panel which is an old HAI using the serial port which is not available in HS 3.

The plan is to have a zwave unit be able to restart the PC or remote to it from inside the network if it fails to respond. I can use either VNC or RDP and both work very well and can be accessed with my PC or iPhone. So I remote to the Raspberry, then start a client and remote to the PC.

The house also is fitted with X-10 so this HS 3 install will be used to transition to newer technology when it makes sense. I will also add the camera and start creating a back up security system with cheap motions sensors monitored by the Raspberry Pi. I will place some of these motion sensor in outdoor locations and use them more as pre-alarms notifying me when someone is outside the house.
            Last edited by leelangreer; July 30, 2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Raspberry Pi 3 Set for SmartStick +

Raspberry Pi 3 set up instructions

Requirements
              SD card reader
              mincro SD Card with adapter
              Downloads from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ -- NOOBS
              SDFormatter

OS install
              1. Format the card with SDFormatter
              2. Download the NOOBS software. I used the zip version 1.9.2 Offline and Network
              3. Unzip the file and copy the files to the SD card, safely remove the card from the computer
              4. Put the card in the Raspberry Pi Mount in case if desired.
              5. Hook a keyboard, mouse to the USB ports and attach the HDMI to your monitor or TV
              6. You will need to insert a network cable and attach the unit to your home network.
              7. Plug in the power cable into the mini USB on the Pi and then plug in the power adapter
              8. The unit will boot into a menu and you will need to select Raspian as the OS (check box) select language, and keyboard (bottom of screen), then select the install icon at top left of the screen...Wait...wait...wait...it will show the slide show at least twice but it is not stuck in an install loop. It will take 30 minutes to an hour to install.
              9. You receive the dialog that says your Raspberry set up is completed select OK
              10. Select menu | Preferences | Raspberry PI Configuration and complete the information on the tabs,
              11. Your Raspberry is now functional

Real VNC Install (you could install other versions but I do not show those here)
              1. Open the PI browser and go to the Real VNC site-- https://www.realvnc.com/docs/raspberry-pi.html
              2. I like simple so I clicked on the package down load (item 1 in the downloading, installing and licensing section on the pack.
              3. The download will include both the server and veiwer packages-- once downloaded the File Manager opened. If you double-click it will walk you through the install process. You must load the viewer and server separate.
              4. Obtain a free license by following the instructions on the Real VNC web page and enter the license. You will also want to follow the instructions on setting up the options to allow VNC server to load on boot if desired.
              5. You may want to consider assigning the server a static address, other wise the DHCP server will assign your address
              6. VNC can be run from the command line or from the Menu | Internet | VNC Server/Client
              7. Once you have licensed VNC, from a computer using the VNC client try connecting to the Raspberry.
              8. Complete the licensing and VNC set up including password. Once complete the server will be ready, however unless you run the command line process to load on reboot, once rebooted you will have to manually start the server.
              Auto start VNC with command line below. This only need to be run one time then on reboot the server will start. You may need to reset the password, for some reason when I ran the command below my password was disabled.

sudo systemctl enable vncserver-x11-serviced.service

Install Homeseer
              1. Download the full Linux version and follow the instructions here. http://www.homeseer.com/current-downloads.html and use the File Manager to untar the files to a directory called Homeseer.
              2. Instructions for installing the required additional packages are here. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162813
              apt-get install mono-vbnc
              apt-get install libmono-system-web4.0.cil
              apt-get install libmono-system-design4.0.cil
              apt-get install libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil
              apt-get install libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil
              apt-get install flite
              apt-get install chromium (I got an error loading this package due to a name change- I did not need it to install Homeseer)
              3. Once all the packages are installed
              4. Using the File Manager extract the tar file into the root directory (should be sub folder of PI)
              5. Reboot
              6. Change to the Homeseer directory with CD Homeseer command then type ./go
              7. Go to a computer and type the IP address in a browser window and HS webpage should load. You can also type localhost in the Raspberry browser, but it is not real pretty, this is where the Chromium package is helpful,
              8. Homeseer should now be functioning
              9. Once you load the Homeseer webpage, go to Plug-ins | Manager and load the zwave plug in
              10. Once the plug-in loads enable it and then select the Plug-Ins | Z-Wave | Controller Management
              11. Under the add a zwave inteface give it a name, select Homeseer smarstick + and then the serial Port near the bottom. Make sure your smartStick is inserted and click the "No" circle to intialize it. If it does not initialize select the other port. mine was called /dev/ttyACMO
              12. Your z-wave should now be shown as a controller
              Last edited by leelangreer; July 30, 2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X