Migrating from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7

Well, I finally migrated from my XP install to a system running 64 bit W7. The migration went ok overall and HS runs much better on the i7 with 8 GB of memory. However, the migration was more painful than it should have been due to the change in directory structure from Program Files to Program Files (x86). Turns out that the references to scripts that are called from events include the full path, not the relative path from the HS root directory, so I had to manually edit all events that call scripts to reflect the new path. Not sure why HS is not using relative paths for scripts.

Here's a list of everything that needed to be edited:
    • Events that call scripts
    • Events that call other programs
    • Events that include sending emails with attachments
    • Scripts/ASP pages that include references to a full path (most of my scripts that access files use the hs.GetAppPath call, but I had a few exceptions)
    • INI files that had hard coded references to HS files

I did a directory search in the HS directories for all files that contained "c:\program files\" and found the scripts, asp files and ini files that way. For the events, I went through each one manually to check them.

I also migrated from the HS PCI modem to the Way2Call modem and had a few challenges with that. I'm posting this for others that may do a similar migration.

Cheers
    Al

PS Went to W7 rather than W10 due to lack of drivers for W10 for some hardware that I have.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net
Working...
X