not a normally listening node?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a normally listening node?

Running HS3 Pro on a Windows7 PC, I just added an Everspring water sensor. The Z-wave panel for its devices say:

Error: The device 2nd floor Bathroom Water sensor Battery is not a normally listening node, and an attempt to communicate with it has failed. To use the functions on this page, please make sure the device is awake and ready to receive a command prior to selecting the function buttons below.

and for example the battery level shows up as 0% on the main devices page. How should it be set up (polling etc.) so that it reports its values properly? What does it mean that it's not a "normally listening" node?

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post
    What does it mean that it's not a "normally listening" node?
    It means it's a battery powered device which needs to be woken up for HS to talk to it. Check the associations and also the optional parameters in the manual for what needs to be set. I have a few of these and the battery always reports as 100% for me. The Everspring luminance sensors I have do report them properly, so don't know why the difference.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

> Check the associations and also the optional parameters in the manual for what needs to be set.

do you have a PDF of the manual? The one I have is very bare-bones, doesn't say anything about the parameters or how often it's supposed to be polled.

> I have a few of these and the battery always reports as 100% for me.

ugh, so how often do you replace the batteries?

Comment

Here's one: http://www.everspringamerica.com/wp-...02_ZDK5.02.doc

Make sure HS is associated on Group 1. Reading the manual again, it looks like it only sends a low battery indication, not regular battery updates. The led on it will flash red as well. I've had mine a couple of years now and recently took the batteries out to check them and they still tested fine. I poll the batteries every 12 hours, but the value has not changed.

Cheers
        Al

Comment

The manual is attached. Mine has been updating the battery level with the Z-Wave beta 3.0.1.90. The day I installed it the battery went from 100% to 90 %. It hasn't changed since. This unit has been in place for a year and is still working reliably. It controls power for a yard sump pump.
          Attached Files
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Mine has been updating the battery level with the latest Z-Wave beta 3.0.1.92.
            Hey Randy, I haven't seen a change in behavior with .92 for these. Did they start working automagically after installing .92 or did you have to rescan them, etc. to get it to work?

Thanks
            Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              Hey Randy, I haven't seen a change in behavior with .92 for these. Did they start working automagically after installing .92 or did you have to rescan them, etc. to get it to work?

Thanks
              Al
              I edited the post. It was 3.0.1.90 where I magically got an update to a battery level that hadn't changed since installation. It has not changed since, but I have no idea what the reporting resolution is to initiate a change. The batteries could still be at 90% or they may only report in 5-10% increment changes.

Comment

I edited the post. It was 3.0.1.90 where I magically got an update to a battery level that hadn't changed since installation. It has not changed since, but I have no idea what the reporting resolution is to initiate a change. The batteries could still be at 90% or they may only report in 5-10% increment changes.
                Thanks, I'll try some old batteries in one to see what happens.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

With the older batteries that I put in one, it immediately changed to 60%, so looks like it's working better.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

With the older batteries that I put in one, it immediately changed to 60%, so looks like its working better.

Cheers
                    Al
                    I hope they are. Like I said, I got the update the day I installed the new plug-in.

Comment

I hope they are. Like I said, I got the update the day I installed the new plug-in.
                      newbie here; can someone inform me how I figure out what version is on there, and how I update to the new one if needed?

Also, have people noticed that when you put the back cover on, it makes a beep, like the little plastic tab on the inside of the outer cover presses on the black button (and presumably keeps it pressed down as long as the cover is on) - is that right??

Comment

newbie here; can someone inform me how I figure out what version is on there, and how I update to the new one if needed?

Also, have people noticed that when you put the back cover on, it makes a beep, like the little plastic tab on the inside of the outer cover presses on the black button (and presumably keeps it pressed down as long as the cover is on) - is that right??
                        Randy is referring to the version of the zwave plugin which can be seen on the Plugins - Manage page within the HS web interface. Yes, the beep is normal.

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

> Randy is referring to the version of the zwave plugin

oh I see, I thought it was firmware on the device itself.

> Yes, the beep is normal.

just to make sure I understand, the normal operation 24*7 is to have that button pushed down by the plastic cover?

Comment

> Yes, the beep is normal.

just to make sure I understand, the normal operation 24*7 is to have that button pushed down by the plastic cover?
                            Correct.

Comment

Randy is referring to the version of the zwave plugin which can be seen on the Plugins - Manage page within the HS web interface.
                              hmm, mine is 3.0.1.25, but it's not showing anything new to be downloaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X