Remote Speaker Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Speaker Client

I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup a remote speaker client. Would be cool to have HS3 make announcements, a feature I don't use currently. I run HS3 Linux on a server in the basement as a VM so I was thinking of some kind of in wall speaker attached to maybe a raspberry pi behind the speaker in the wall. I can run the pi with POE for a single wire install. However, I never touched a raspberry pi before so if there is something more common or simple I'm all for easy.

Any recommendations? Does the pi running linux have any limitations vs a windows based speaker client?

Separate questions - if I had multiple speaker clients can they be used individually or does HS3 broadcast to all speaker clients?

Thanks

Hi Dennis, speaker clients can be addressed individually or as a group. I'm not sure if the normal Speaker software works on a pi. You could use a Squeezebox install on the pi's, but I don't know if the Squeezebox plugin runs on your linux server.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Al - looks like the squeezebox plugin is not supported on linux unfortunately. Coincidentally I just setup my LMS server last week in a Linux VM and this would have been a great feature to connect into HS3.

I've read about running plugins remotely on a Windows machine. I could spin up a Windows VM to run the squeezebox plugin remotely if that's feasible. Can this be done?

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
        Al - looks like the squeezebox plugin is not supported on linux unfortunately. Coincidentally I just setup my LMS server last week in a Linux VM and this would have been a great feature to connect into HS3.

I've read about running plugins remotely on a Windows machine. I could spin up a Windows VM to run the squeezebox plugin remotely if that's feasible. Can this be done?
        If you spin up a Windows machine then there' s no need for the Squeezebox plugin as you can load the HS3 Speaker app on the server. Many users load the speaker clients throughout the house on laptops and distribute their announcements in this manner.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would think so, but haven't played with remote plugins, so not sure if there are any "gotchas" with that setup.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            If you spin up a Windows machine then there' s no need for the Squeezebox plugin as you can load the HS3 Speaker app on the server. Many users load the speaker clients throughout the house on laptops and distribute their announcements in this manner.
            I'm not sure I follow this. If I install the speaker client on a windows vm how would I connect it to the Linux HS3 server? Are there instructions on how to do this anywhere?

I was thinking I could setup something like the picture below by setting up the raspberry pi's as a logitech player (like this). Then I could use the speakers for HS3 and to play music.

The other piece to the puzzle would be to run the squeezebox plugin remotely on the windows server since it's not supported on linux - something I have no idea how to do...
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure I follow this. If I install the speaker client on a windows vm how would I connect it to the Linux HS3 server? Are there instructions on how to do this anywhere?
              Once you load the speaker client there's a setup section labeled Options and you simply put in the ipaddress of you PC running HS3. Set the connection name and password as a valid HS3 user and it will become a client that can speak.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Could a similar thing be done with Airplay and Airspeak?
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I was thinking I could setup something like the picture below by setting up the raspberry pi's as a logitech player (like this). Then I could use the speakers for HS3 and to play music.

The other piece to the puzzle would be to run the squeezebox plugin remotely on the windows server since it's not supported on linux - something I have no idea how to do...
                  Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  Could a similar thing be done with Airplay and Airspeak?
                  I finally gave up on ever seeing a speaker client setup for the Pi so I just switched over to Spuds AirPlaySpeak since there is a AirPlay client for the Pi. Works great, thanks Spud. I'm getting ready to make several of them using the Pi ZeroW so the cost will be quite low even after purchasing the audio board with speaker needed on the Pi. I figure about $30ish for each one.

I'm also looking at adding status LEDs so one can have status indicator for HS3. This is quite easy to do other than the code for HS3. I'd like to see that code added to an existing plugin such as AirPlaySpeak if Spud might consider such a thing once I'm finished.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                  Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                  3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                  4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                  3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                  SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I see that although the squeezebox plugin doesn't officially support Linux it seems to work fine. I may give it a try it for what ever its trial period is just to do some testing. Always nice to have options.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

HomeSeer Speaker Log -Redirect

I really like the HomeSeeer Speaker application. I have it running on several of my home machines announcing significant events. I also find the "Log" for the Speaker a very useful product and would like to be able to redirect it to a dedicated printer, if possible. I have a nice little thermal printer that came from an old restaurant point of sale setup that would be perfect. Anybody ever figured out how to re-direct the output to a printer?

JR

Comment

@John,

The Homeseer Squeezebox plugin is officially now supported in Linux. You can also utilize the speech proxy piece to distribute your Homeseer speech stuff via a thin headless RPi squeeze player client or a regular client running on Linux or Windows. Here have been testing the client on my tabletop touchscreens running an embedded SP touch screen program and it works great.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HiFiBerry

Has anyone messed around with a Hifiberry? There looks to be some RPi audio projects in the blog called Hifiberry. Looks promising. I would love to utilize one of these to integrate with Homeseer.

www.HifiBerry.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd7703 View Post
                            Has anyone messed around with a Hifiberry? There looks to be some RPi audio projects in the blog called Hifiberry. Looks promising. I would love to utilize one of these to integrate with Homeseer.

www.HifiBerry.com
                            I have one but haven't tied it to HS3, just ditched HS2 on Windows for a Linux server with HS3 so I'll try it sometime because I've been looking for an annunciator for HS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

PcP + hifiberry and LMS is a great combo for music

Comment

Working...
                              X