Automated basement ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated basement ideas

I am in the middle of a remodel of my basement. While I have the walls ripped open it would be a great time to install any automation. I have HS3 Pro.

A few details about my basement;
    Will have a full kitchen
    Has a bathroom
    will have a bar area
    Has a media area with projector / screen

Any ideas for automation? Are there any good in-wall mounted controller options? I run z-wave devices mostly.

Thanks

Here are the things I regret not doing
    1. If you have a window, run low voltage wiring for window shades. Its much cheaper and cleaner to do it now with bare walls
    2. Water sensors
    3. Motion sensor pre wiring
    4. Ensure the wall switches can take zwave switches
    5. wire for more speakers than you will ever think you will need. Example if today you plan on doing 5.1 soround, wire for 11.2 atmos. Again, wire is cheap if its not used, no big deal

Comment

couple more things. If in the media room you have a closet with equipment and the bare tv on the wall. Think about doing the following
      1. Two Cat6 cables from closet to tv
      2. three hdmi cables (minimum) from closet to TV
      3. Extra power behind TV for things like Roku, Chromecast, HDMI extender
      4. Consider doing something like a BOX behind the TV - Example http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/ho...tv-box/TVBU810

Comment

+1 on a closet with media equipment

Even though you have a projector and screen planned, consider the possibility of a big LCD screen. A 70 inch 4K LCD is already price competitive with a high end projector.

Run lots of cat6 wire. At least two from every wall to your wiring closet. Take pictures of where they are before you close the walls. Label the ends in the closet. You will not use most of it, but the few that you do will make it worth while.

Take lots of pictures of the framing and wiring. Memories fade. Knowing where stuff is can be a big help when you need to make changes in the future.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X