Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jobee View Post
    Check out http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184724

It works if you don't need speaker running.
    Thanks! I've seen couple of these topics, and I do plan to follow the advice, once I am actually committed to using HS. It was just mighty surprising that HS has any kind of actual UI at all.

At some future point I will need to look into the speaker thing, but for now the speaker client crashes anyway (the machine has an actual server motherboard, which, AFAIR, does not include any sound-related hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by twka90 View Post
      Huh. That works? Do they talk over TCP? That's cool. I am not sure I see the practicality in splitting the main HS installation from the ZWave plugin though... (Unless I can install the plugin on a laptop, stick the Smartstick in, and go around the house including far-flung devices...)
      (Disclaimer: I'm new to HS and any HS information I give is based only on my understanding of reading stuff here...)

Yes, they talk over TCP (or maybe UDP? Not sure... probably TCP as its easier to code and ensures ordering, etc.) You'd run the z-wave plugin with a command line parameter such as "server=IP ADDRESS" which tells the plugin the IP address of the full HS server. Then the server would see the plugin and you'd be good to go.

The application, for you, would be to have HS in a single VM with a single IP address (but with no USB port), and then the z-wave plugin running on the host OS (with USB port access and a zwave dongle plugged in.)

My understanding, from reading these forums, is that many people apparently run HS in some type of data center environment and let it talk to a z-wave plugin running on a simple Raspberry PI that has a USB stick. (Which, from what I can tell, is similar to what a "z-net" really is.)

Comment

Originally posted by garyd9 View Post
        The application, for you, would be to have HS in a single VM with a single IP address (but with no USB port), and then the z-wave plugin running on the host OS (with USB port access and a zwave dongle plugged in.)
        For me personally, if I have to run something outside the VM on the same host there's almost no point to even bother.

Originally posted by garyd9 View Post
        My understanding, from reading these forums, is that many people apparently run HS in some type of data center environment and let it talk to a z-wave plugin running on a simple Raspberry PI that has a USB stick. (Which, from what I can tell, is similar to what a "z-net" really is.)
        Now, this, if it works, is nice, and could potentially be useful.

Comment

Working...
        X