Which route to go for security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which route to go for security?

I need some opinions here from people using security panels that integrate with homeseer.

I've got about 75 z-wave devices. lots of motion sensors, door sensors, locks, light switches etc. The last piece missing for me is the security aspect.

• I would like a panel that I can buy cheap (cheaper than z-wave) door and window sensors for.
    • I will want 9 more window sensors for it (wireless)
    • 15 - 20 more door sensors for it. (wireless)
    • Sirens. (wireless would be nice, but i can make wired ones work)
    • I will also want fire / co2 detectors (that tie into the rest of my smoke alarms). This doesn't need to interface with the alarm though, it can work with just z-wave and homeseer.
    • Battery backup for panel.
    • would be nice to be able to add GSM radio to this at some point for wireless calling. But to begin with, some VOIP communication, or other LAN based communication would be fine.

• I would like to put probably 2 keypads in. (preferably fancy touchscreen ones that have lots of bells and whistles).

I don't have a clue which brand to even start with. What are the ones that seem to integrate the best with homeseer? Is the homeseer DSC plugin fully functional? Is it kept up to date?

What are peoples favorite alarm panels? ones with the best feature set, or are they all pretty comparable?

Any gotchas I should be aware of with any of the brands or plugins?

I'm starting from scratch here on the alarm stuff, and would prefer to go all in and only do it once. So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

The DSC power series would meet all the above criteria and is scalable. For that fact, all system you see on the forum can do the same.

For integration the simplistic route in the Envislink EVL4 and DSC or Honeywell.

Yes, the two 3rd party DSC plugin in are kept up to date and offer full integration whereby, the HST DSC is only compatible with the IT100 serial interface

Comment

For integration the simplistic route in the Envislink EVL4 and DSC or Honeywell.
      Thanks. I just looked up Envisalink EVL4. It looks like just a module that allows the panel to be added to the network? Do the panels not offer that support out of the box without this device? I assume this is required for any of the plugins to interface with the panel then?

Comment

Correct, the EVL4 API exposes the DSC over IP and the 3rd party DSC plugins then connect to the API.

I cannot answer for all panels but they need some method to interface and for the DSC it is the EVL series or the IT100.

The EVL4 and eyes-on offers other functionality as well. However once you integrate the panel with homeseer the sensors can be used in homeseer in the same fashion as Z-wave

Comment

Thanks!

Anyone else have opinions on the best route to go? What you suggested sounds like a logical route to go. Just hoping to hear some war stories from others that have used other brands or panels.

Thanks again

Comment

I too would recommend the DSC system. It's highly affordable and very reliable and there are a couple of plugins if you are using HS3. There are other systems like the Elk but it's overkill for a security system.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I got an Elk but they are not cheap. I also have no wireless sensor experience, all hard wired. My driving factors were that it had more fast loop response zones, and a good plug in. I use the fast loop for PIRs for faster lights on when entering a room. None of that applies to what you asked about though.

Comment

Do you have a reason to prefer wireless? Heritage building possibly?

Most security sensors I've used will be comparable in cost to a Z-Wave sensor. The least expensive options for alarm panels will be hardwired. Browsing Amazon I noticed a Honeywell hardwired motion for 5$ and 10$ for 10 wired door/window contacts.

Does your house have any pre-wire at all? Many newer houses come with wire to each door and window. Usually, the wire is held in place but out of view hidden behind a small plastic cap pressed into the window or door casement. The wires themselves would originate from a room or closet and be hidden behind a single gang plastic wall plate cover.

I am not sure if you considered a post-wire job. The cost of that many wireless zones would go along way to having a pro wire your zones. Wireless also needs maintenance buying and installing batteries every few years for each of the sensors.

So If it sounds as though I am I opposed to wireless I guess I'd say I was with this explanation: Recently something spooky occurred whereby all of my wireless zones were jammed. Pressing the fob arm button while near the keypad receiver was ignored as were all of my wireless zones. Needless to say this put me off of wireless. Having 32 hard and 32 wireless zones I moved all of my exterior doors and windows to wired zones and left the less critical zones as wireless. I recovered from this by doing a wireless receiver reset but my trust in wireless has been shattered and I still haven't found the root cause of the misbehavior. It really bothered me that a wireless zone could be completely compromised and it was not reported as such for a very long while. DSCs default supervisory window is 24 hours for wireless zones and it was only after this period that the panel reported a fault.

I'm using the Envisalink plugin with a DSC panel and an EVL3 network interface. Great plugin. Great interface. My only wish would be to have all of my motion sensors hardwired. In my opinion hardwired is superior for motion events due to the report delays (battery saving measures) that (any brand) wireless sensors employ. Report delays can effect how well occupancy events work.
                Last edited by Kitar; October 29, 2016, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
                  I got an Elk but they are not cheap. I also have no wireless sensor experience, all hard wired. My driving factors were that it had more fast loop response zones, and a good plug in. I use the fast loop for PIRs for faster lights on when entering a room.
                  If you have a hardwired motion sensor attached to a DSC panel, how long does it take for the device in HomeSeer to be updated once motion is detected? Is it more than 1 second?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman View Post
                    If you have a hardwired motion sensor attached to a DSC panel, how long does it take for the device in HomeSeer to be updated once motion is detected? Is it more than 1 second?
                    It's a fraction of a second.
                    Originally posted by rprade
                    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by smikkelsen View Post
                      I need some opinions here from people using security panels that integrate with homeseer.
                      I have a Vista 20P with the EnvisaLink 4. My second home had a 10se (so outdated I had to do something). I bought a new Vista 20P on Amazon for 58 bucks shipped. I spent another 98 for the EnvisaLink 4 and 100 for a battery from Battery + Bulbs. I got a 6160 keypad to program it for 59 bucks and for the RF you will want the 5881ENH that will support gobs of wireless for 129.00. They have ones for 8 and 16 wireless zones, but your totals exceed this, so the ENH is the best.

Programming is easy once you get the hang of it. When you are ready you can add the GSM unit for 125.00.

The board has 8 zones and zone 1 is already ready for smoke/fire detectors. If you add the wireless, it just kicks in as zone 9 and on.

My main house one is ready for a chip upgrade to up the firmware. You will hear about the Compass program to program it... forget it. It is more of a pain to get the right modem and working. Keypad is faster.

Both my places are integrated with HS3 and trigger lights and sounds and even set the panel if I leave and forget to do it.

Michael
                      HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                      Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                      BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                      X