Run HS3 from a secondary drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to run HS3 from a secondary hard drive? I am running HS3 on a DELL3050 mini computer. It has a 30 GB solid-state primary drive which is 98% full and does not have enough room for any Windows 10 updates. It has a secondary 64 GB SDHC card. Could I move HS3 and run it from the SD card? Anybody doing this?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Does this help?
    Jon

Comment

On my main PC I install all programs (well those that will allow) onto a separate drive, Drive P:
      It's less of an issue nowadays but when I started messing with 'putters it was always the case that a program was more likely to cause a corruption than Windows. Using a second drive mitigated against that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        Does this help?

Thanks for pointing me to this. It is exactly what I needed. However, I am extremely reluctant to try this for fear of losing years of work with HS3. My experience with Windows 10 is very limited. I have never tried to backup and restore. If something goes wrong I will need backups of HS3 and my HS3 data files. I already have the database backup zip files created via the HS3 tools/setup/general tab, but I have never used this process.

I think I will do a trial run on my HS3 test/backup system; a Dell desktop Inspiron 620 running Windows 10.

I am highly invested in HS3 and my system is up 100% of the time. Taking it down for more than a few minutes gives me severe heartburn!

I will post my experience.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Simplest way is to make a full copy of your HS directory.
          If anything goes pear shaped, reinstall HS and then overwrite the new installation with the copy.
          All will be well.

Comment

Jon, I followed the directions on the site, but it did not work. There are multiple issues:

1. Windows 10 uses apps as well as programs. The directions are for apps but the procedure will work for some programs but not all.
            2. On my Dell 3050 computer, this feature of windows 10 does not work. The box is grayed out and only the C: drive can be selected for program installation. On my Windows 10 Dell Inspiron Desktop 620, the feature does work and other drives can be selected. However, when a program is selected, the previous drive selection is no longer available. It seems to check if it is an app or a program.
            3. After further web searching, I did find several methods to gain additional space on the C: drive. They all involve deleting the "recovery" folder.
            4. Before deleting the folder a backup on a flash drive needs to be created. I formatted the 32GB flash drive to NTFS and used windows 10 "Create a recovery drive" tool to make a bootable flash recovery drive. This process took a very long time. About 4 hours.[emoji853]
            5. I then deleted the recovery folder from the c: drive of my DELL3050 computer. Now I have about 7GB of available space. Hopefully this will be enough space to install windows 10 updates.

I will let you know.

Steve Q

Comment

Thanks for the update.

FYI, the Win10 anniversary update needed 16Gb of space. I just managed to clear that on my tablet when it came out earlier this year.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Thanks for the update.

FYI, the Win10 anniversary update needed 16Gb of space. I just managed to clear that on my tablet when it came out earlier this year.

I spent the whole day yesterday trying to install the Win10 anniversary edition on my 3 Win10 computers. It did not install on any of them. I knew that the update required a lot of space but it will allow the use of a secondary drive for temporary storage during the installation. But this did not work for me. After hours of waiting for the install to complete, it did not finish on any of my computers.

Is it worth it to install the anniversary edition?

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post

Is it worth it to install the anniversary edition?

Steve Q
                  Only you can decide that!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12...eatures-review
                  Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X