"tags" or similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"tags" or similar

Is there any way to create "virtual groups" of devices. Like tags or something.

Would be great to be to do stuff like "iterate through all devices that has the tag 'decorative lights' and execute turn on".

You could do this fairly easily with a script, with or without a 'tag'.

You could try to use the device address. Give your decorative lights addresses like D100, D101, ... etc. But I can't think of an easy way to turn them all on or off in a HS event. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      You could do this fairly easily with a script, with or without a 'tag'.

You could try to use the device address. Give your decorative lights addresses like D100, D101, ... etc. But I can't think of an easy way to turn them all on or off in a HS event. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
      Oh, the scripting does not worry me. It is the management and "Keeping track of" that is more cumbersome. And one tag per device will not be enough for me.. so the device address is sort of out the window

Comment

Originally posted by janjoh View Post
        Oh, the scripting does not worry me. It is the management and "Keeping track of" that is more cumbersome. And one tag per device will not be enough for me..
        Have you considered a 'serialized' string to contain your tags? You could parse the tags from the string in a script to determine which to include in a particular task.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          Have you considered a 'serialized' string to contain your tags? You could parse the tags from the string in a script to determine which to include in a particular task.
          I think i sitll am not making myself clear... Hm.

I have no issue with building an array or similar database to include various ID's and then parsing them from scripts.

My point was that i would prefer not having to leave the HS WebUI to _manage_ the tags when i (for instance) no longer want Relay X to be included in my decorative lighting routines.

Comment

Originally posted by janjoh View Post
            My point was that i would prefer not having to leave the HS WebUI to _manage_ the tags when i (for instance) no longer want Relay X to be included in my decorative lighting routines.
            Sorry, you're right, I didn't understand.

You are not alone in wanting the browser interface to be more of a UI, but at the moment it appears to be designed primarily as a place for (your personal) system development, not a place for routine control interaction. I'd guess that it is unlikely that there will be fundamental changes in the direction you would prefer.

There are, of course, other ways to do what you want, but they involve intermediate steps, so they are not as quick to accomplish, but they offer much greater overall flexibility and design latitude.

Comment

Working...
            X