Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Status & Control Settings for REAL Devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status & Control Settings for REAL Devices?

Trying to set up a REAL device, a simple Insteon ApplianceLink which I am using to "lock" my garage door. I have the garage door opener plugged into it, and turn it off at night just to add an extra measure of security. (No one should be pulling into my garage between midnight and sunrise).

I would like the Device Manager page to show the status as "Locked" and "Unlocked" instead of simply "Off" and "On." But when I change the status text on the Status Graphics tab, I no longer can control the device from the Device Management page. The controls show up as Locked and Unlocked, but clicking the buttons has no effect. Changing the text back to the defaults makes it start working again.

So is this functionality ONLY for virtual devices?
    Attached Files

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
    Trying to set up a REAL device, a simple Insteon ApplianceLink which I am using to "lock" my garage door. I have the garage door opener plugged into it, and turn it off at night just to add an extra measure of security. (No one should be pulling into my garage between midnight and sunrise).

I would like the Device Manager page to show the status as "Locked" and "Unlocked" instead of simply "Off" and "On." But when I change the status text on the Status Graphics tab, I no longer can control the device from the Device Management page. The controls show up as Locked and Unlocked, but clicking the buttons has no effect. Changing the text back to the defaults makes it start working again.

So is this functionality ONLY for virtual devices?
    It is certainly not ONLY for virtual devices, I change Arduino and Z-Wave devices status text all the time. I can't see how it could happen, because a devices numerical value is what is used for control, the status text is just for the UI. That said, I have a suspicion it is the fault of the Insteon plug-in. Whose plug-in are you using? Along those lines, have you tried either restarting HomeSeer or the plug-in after you make the changes, in case it is something the plug-in evaluates at startup?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      It is certainly not ONLY for virtual devices, I change Arduino and Z-Wave devices status text all the time. I can't see how it could happen, because a devices numerical value is what is used for control, the status text is just for the UI. That said, I have a suspicion it is the fault of the Insteon plug-in. Whose plug-in are you using? Along those lines, have you tried either restarting HomeSeer or the plug-in after you make the changes, in case it is something the plug-in evaluates at startup?
      I am using Mark Sandler's.

I did not try those things, however, I did delete and re-define the device. That didn't work, so I'll try those other things. I'll also ask Mark in the Insteon forum.

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

Also, what is the meaning of the drop-down, "control use:"?

Jim Speiser
        Still don't know squat

Comment

Also, what is the meaning of the drop-down, "control use:"?
          As I understand it those are for HSTouch and voice control.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            As I understand it those are for HSTouch and voice control.
            Ah, so I don't need to mess with them? Or do I need to leave them at "undefined" or something?

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Ah, so I don't need to mess with them? Or do I need to leave them at "undefined" or something?
              If it is a binary device - off/on, open/closed, etc. I usually set them to off and on, but I don't really think it matters. I'll check when I get home but I think HSTouch will control virtual devices even if that parameter is not set. I think Rich said it was more important for voice control and possible future UI enhancements.

Comment

I am using Mark Sandler's.

I did not try those things, however, I did delete and re-define the device. That didn't work, so I'll try those other things. I'll also ask Mark in the Insteon forum.
                Neither cycling the plug-in nor cycling HomeSeer had any effect. I shall take this up with Mark, but if you can think of anything else, please advise.

Thanks.

Jim Speiser
                Still don't know squat

Comment

what plugin version are you running? you need the latest from the Updater to change Controls without affecting the btns.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                  Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                  Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                  Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I was at 3-0-5-something. I just now upgraded to 3-0-6.

Looks like that works. Thanks.

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

Glad its working. Thanks for reporting back.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                      X