Why so many devices??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why so many devices??

Like many people that have been using Homeseer for a few years, I have a huge amount of devices defined on my system (manually defined and auto-generated by plugins). For example, I have an Insteon motion sensor and this physical device is represented by multiple HS3 devices. Each of these HS3 devices represent a certain aspect of the same physical device (e.g. a battery level device, motion status device, dusk/dawn status device, etc).
    It seems that a better approach would be to have one motion sensor HS3 device with the ability to have multiple properties/values defined.
    I think this would help reduce the vast amount of devices we have, and make management much easier.
    Is this possible under the current HS3 framework?

Originally posted by dexterdom View Post
    It seems that a better approach would be to have one motion sensor HS3 device with the ability to have multiple properties/values defined.
    I think this would help reduce the vast amount of devices we have, and make management much easier.
    Is this possible under the current HS3 framework?
    I'm pretty sure the architecture of HS3 restricts each device to one string and one value.
    I also have lots of devices, most created by plug-ins, but I don't find managing them difficult. Can you elaborate on the problem you are having?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

No, this is not possible in HS3. This is because each device has only one value.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        I'm pretty sure the architecture of HS3 restricts each device to one string and one value.
        I also have lots of devices, most created by plug-ins, but I don't find managing them difficult. Can you elaborate on the problem you are having?
        Not a specific problem, more of a vent really :-)
        I had a look at my Device Management page this morning and my gut reaction was "the number of devices here is just ridiculous".
        I know they are all necessary, and understand the logic behind each one, but I think a 1-to-1 relationship between physical and HS devices would help simplify the user interface, and also help simplify creating and maintaining events and scripts.

Comment

Most of them you can ignore. Creative use of 'room' and 'floor' and filtering can reduce the number you see to manageable levels.

Think of it as worrying about the number of words in the English language. Yes, there are quite a few, but you don't have to even think about most of them if you don't want to.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
          X