Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have followed the steps in the video guide (and triple checked settings), tried the delay start program, and am still having trouble with this. I am running Windows Server 2016 headless via RDP and HomeSeer will only start if I remotely login. Anyone else having these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by gauldin View Post
      I have followed the steps in the video guide (and triple checked settings), tried the delay start program, and am still having trouble with this. I am running Windows Server 2016 headless via RDP and HomeSeer will only start if I remotely login. Anyone else having these issues?
      Is startup path within quotes?

Comment

Simple solution

Open notepad, type

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3
        Start /min HS3.exe

Save as a Start Homeseer.bat in the windows startup folder.
        Tested working (Working even without closing the " on the path)

Also no login required.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamijerry View Post
          Tested working (Working even without closing the " on the path)
          That's just side effect of how Windows works, because opening " starts the string, which is either ended by a closing " or EOL in a batch file. In your example EOL ends it, but obviously a closing " is nicer, especially if you have to add additional parameters to the CD command.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

Is startup path within quotes?
            Yes, tested both ways, still doesn't work. Were you able to get it working in a headless setup?

Comment

fyi - i recall someone mentioning you can use a scheduled task and set it to run at startup... not sure if that means will work while logged out.
              my system - still working on it -...
              need to run AutoLogon from microsoft (bought out sysinternals) to get my machine to auto logon
              then will try the scheduled task.
              my hs3 box

for hs3 i followed this..
              https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/...tartup-folder/

Open the Run function dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R key simultaneously.
              • The All Users Startup Folder requires the following path:
                • Shell:common startup
              • The Current User Startup Folder requires:
                • Shell:startup

works like a charm... here is a SS of mine...

CMD window stays open so the date/time helps me know last time it was ran... as win10 auto updates and reboots

Attached Files
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by gauldin View Post

Yes, tested both ways, still doesn't work. Were you able to get it working in a headless setup?
                Yes, I'm using a tiny Gigabyte NUC that has no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected, and it boots up Windows, auto logs in via the "netplwiz" method that stores username/password inside encrypted keystore, and then via Task Scheduler with normal trigger HomeSeer gets launched with highest privilege access active (so that UAC can remain active). Then inside Windows startup I fire up a small batch-script that immediately logs off the user, so that Windows is back to the login screen.

Control is done via "Mouse without Borders" if I do connect a monitor, and RDP. Windows update advanced settings are tweaked to make sure any security update restarts are done at a time that I'm most likely not to rely on any scenes, and it only takes a few seconds anyway which usually coincides with 2nd Tuesday of the month unless I manually force an optional pack, such as the one a couple of weeks ago.

Code:
                Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.815]
                \\HOMESEER has been up for: 13 day(s), 22 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Comment

Dismayed to learn that HomeSeer doesn't have a more elegant and secure solution. Security should be top of mind right now, and having a user with admin privileges auto login seems like a big no-no. Has HomeSeer ever had a Windows service component that could be run without the need for a login? Looking to roll my own at this point and hoping someone has a place to start.

Comment

I imagine the best predictor of the future would be to look at HS4's beta. Did HST address any of the security concerns (like requiring run as admin) in this release? If not, I'm guessing they never will.

I personally use "AlwaysUp" to run HS3 as a service, others use "FireDaemon" or other utilities. There are limitations to this method, mostly around audio. I don't use the speaker client, so I've never had issues.

Comment

Rich gave a detailed answer why the run as admin is required, and it extends well beyond ACL permissions.

If you modify ACL permissions, and adjust a few more things then you can launch it without login required via TaskScheduler like any other service, but it might not support everything then. Especially the audio gets tricky.

Comment

RoChess , mind posting a link to the description? I don't recall seeing it and I'm interested in the details.

Comment

I tried to search, but Rich posts too much to make that easy, and it becomes a small needle in a big haystack.

It could also be that new methods are in the pipeline, so I'm hoping rjh has time to recall his post where he outlined the details on why HomeSeer runs as admin as a program and not a Windows service.

Main parts I remember is that it was the thread-safest way to ensure access to hardware such as Z-Wave controller and the Speaker/TTS stuff.

Comment

So, I finally got around to finish the script that automates the steps described by Rubber_Boot and ServiceXp in this post. It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/jstuyts/hs3-auto-...racefully-stop

If you do not want/have to customize the default location and names, the script only needs a username and the associated password. After that the script creates and configures everything automatically.

You can customize the installation directory of HomeSeer, the name of the Windows tasks group and the name of the Windows task.

If you find a problem or have an improvement, create an issue or a pull request.

Comment

Nice work indeed!
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

I just have it my Startup folder as a shortcut and it works fine

Comment

Working...
                                X