Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reference ID of a deleted device - re-used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference ID of a deleted device - re-used?

If I delete a device, does the reference ID get re-used or is it gone forever?

It will get reused. Sometimes not right away on the next device add, but eventually. I'm not sure why it is not always immediately reused.

Comment

A zwave ID will eventually get reused. A reference ID in HomeSeer will never get reused as far as I know.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I am about to find out the answer as I have to delete about 50 devices and re-enter them as X10 devices.

Comment

I've not found a device reference get re-used, it just keeps on going - I suspect (and hope) that there is a routine if you get to the limit that it fills in the spaces but I don't think in practice you don't need to worry about this.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            A zwave ID will eventually get reused. A reference ID in HomeSeer will never get reused as far as I know.
            A Z-Wave node number will eventually be reused. Device Reference IDs are NOT reused until you pass 9999. Then it will start back at 1 and begin reusing unused Reference IDs. As you delete a device the Reference ID is free, but will not be reused until you have added 9999 devices. I don't know what would happen if you actually had 9999 devices.

Rich just fixed the 9999 rollover in the last HS3 release. Mine froze when it passed 9999. I only have 2038 devices, but I have been busy adding, deleting and changing devices over the last three years.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

It looks like the Ref IDs of deleted devices do not get reused. At least the 50 or so that I deleted never got used after I created about 200 new devices.

Comment

Originally posted by noopara View Post
                It looks like the Ref IDs of deleted devices do not get reused. At least the 50 or so that I deleted never got used after I created about 200 new devices.
                Like I wrote above, they do not start getting reused until device 9999 is created.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

OK...roger that...I didn't see your post before I posted my results...

Comment

Working...
                  X