Correct installation instructions for Raspberry Pi3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct installation instructions for Raspberry Pi3

hi, newbie to HomeSeer here. Some how I got one version running on a Raspberry Pi3. I am having user/admin errors with that version so I wanted to load the software on a new SD card and try again. Unfortunately I am unable to do it. There are two different instructions to install HS3 on the P, neither of them have worked for me:

http://homeseer.com/guides/HomeSeer-HS3Pi3-Guide.pdf
    Following this one and copying the files from hs3pi3boot directory. never really boots. The screen never changes, when I have a monitor attached. And nothing happens. Tried to press 1 and 2 to see if it was a monitor issue. Nothing!

Then I tried these instructions based on a post from the board:
    http://homeseer.com/guides/HomeSeer-HS3Pi-Guide.pdf
    the directions talk about an image file of "HomeSeer-HS3Pi.img" unfortunately the download gives me the folowing image file: "zee_s1_image_master" which i at least get a a colorful screen but it doesn't boot.

Documentation on this site is very confusing!

The 2nd set of instructions won't work; that one points to an image with an older OS that doesn't work on a rpi3.

The instructons could use some work, to put it politely. I'll try to run them (1st set) and with luck can provide some clarity

Comment

I would appreciate that. I had gone so far as trying another computer and downloading the SD Format program and the hs3pi3boot zip file. I was able to copy over the 75 files to the SD card. I still have the same result. It doesn't boot.

Comment

I extracted the zipfile -- it created a folder named output, with contents as shown. I descended into that folder, selected everything, then dragged it over to the SD drive (G: in my case). It said it copied 75 files. Next I made sure that everything was written -- in the left hand pane of the Windows explorer, right click on the SD drive and select Eject. I installer that into an rpi3 and booted. I got the rainbow screen, then some text and now I'm at a GUI type screen labeled "Restore v1.9 ... " and it's prompting me to connect to my wireless network (and the mouse works). So I'm getting a lot farther that you...
        Make sure you are copying the contents of the output folder, not the folder itself. And try the eject thing...

PS. Installing now...
        Attached Files

Comment

Just weird! It doesn't work for me. We have the same file system. I formatted the SD card with "SDformater" (Format size adjust on). I then copied the files from the output directory over to it. To create the list of files I right clicked on the folder and selected the "extract all" in Windows Explorer. The only difference (that I see) between our two directories is the file dates.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
            Just weird! It doesn't work for me. We have the same file system. I formatted the SD card with "SDformater" (Format size adjust on). I then copied the files from the output directory over to it. To create the list of files I right clicked on the folder and selected the "extract all" in Windows Explorer. The only difference (that I see) between our two directories is the file dates.
            Your screenshot appears to show a USD drive - what does the SD card look like?
            PS. The install just finished; it booted up and it appears to have been successful.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              Your screenshot appears to show a USD drive - what does the SD card look like?
              PS. The install just finished; it booted up and it appears to have been successful.
              I have a Surface Pro with a docking station so i am using a USB hub, USB Adapter, SD Adapter to Micro SD, then obviously the SD card. The one in the picture is 64Gb.

I am thinking that the size (64Gb) could be the problem. I found a 32Gb that appears to be updating now!
              Attached Files

Comment

Maybe, I used an 8GB card.
                FYI here is what the SD looks like after the install is complete -- looks the same as before. However, right click on the drive and select properties, it now says capacity is only 120MB. The remainder is now allocated to the Linux filesystem, which is of a type not visible to Windows.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                  Maybe, I used an 8GB card.
                  FYI here is what the SD looks like after the install is complete -- looks the same as before. However, right click on the drive and select properties, it now says capacity is only 120MB. The remainder is now allocated to the Linux filesystem, which is of a type not visible to Windows.
                  Zwolfpack, thanx for sticking with me and confirming that the installation instructions and download file does work. The 32Gb card just finished the install. It does appear that the install only works if the SD card is formatted as FAT (unlike a normal rasbarian install that can use extFAT). I found a program (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm) to format the 64Gb SD card as FAT. The attached picture is the install humming along on the 64Gb SD card!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Download SD Formatter and use it to format your SD card. Turn format size option to On and format away. The card is now ready to write your image.

Win32 Disk Imager is my preferred imaging tool.

Comment

Unfortunately SD Formatter does not format a 64 Gig card correctly. it creates type extFAT. The installation was not bootable until I used a smaller SD card (32 Gig) or a different format program to create the FAT format.
                        I use Win32 Disk Imager as well.

Thank you for the input!

Comment

Really large size SD card for size for HS3 but I have my 64gb card formatted fine and running Raspbian Jessie.

Careful using the logging utility in HS3 as the constant writing to an SD card will shorten it's life.

Maybe the 32gb SD card option is the way to go for you. Plenty of capacity using it as a headless server for HS3.

Comment

Very true! the 64 does work fine for a Raspberry install, just not HomeSeer.

Thanx for the thought on the life of SD card with logging. I got a good deal on the 64 cards so that is what most of my SD cards are.

Comment

The newer micro SD cards are much better today than previous generations. RW speeds are better and longevity is much better.

My very first Zee came with a 4 Gb card. I just copied it to a new 8 Gb card but HS Zee only ran about 6 months before I trashed the card.

Newer RPi2 has done much better. I have kept it at 16Gb. Newer build Zee-2 running on 64bit Ubuntu in a micro is using a 32Gb SSD which I like. HS3 Pro is using a 120 Gb SSD and I am filling it up with Oracle VBs running on the box...

For writing and reading images and writing images to SD and resizing current use GParted on my Linux laptop (go linux my friend...you will never go back). It works great. I have done stuff like copy an image to a USB stick from SD card. Shrink down the image and copied it to a smaller SD card.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X