HS3-Pi As remote z-wave interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3-Pi As remote z-wave interface

Is there anything preventing the use of HS3-Pi as a remote HS3 system and as a remote z-wave interface? I suppose a poor-man version of z-net in a way. With the Black May sale it's much cheaper to buy HS3-Pi now than a z-net considering I already have spare RPI boxes and z-wave usb sticks

Is there a limitation of HS3-Pi being linux connecting to a Master running Windows? I've read other threads about this testing and at that time there were problems with remote z-wave going from linux to windows but it worked as long as the source and destination were the same OS.

I am doing this now. But my main HS3 system is Linux. I do not know if it will work if your main system is Windows.

If you already have an HS3 license, you do not need to purchase any additional licenses for Linux. And if you are running the Z-Wave plugin remotely, that does not count as a server install.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bdickhaus View Post
      I am doing this now. But my main HS3 system is Linux. I do not know if it will work if your main system is Windows.

If you already have an HS3 license, you do not need to purchase any additional licenses for Linux. And if you are running the Z-Wave plugin remotely, that does not count as a server install.

Bill
      I've seen where linux to linux works fine. However it "should" work linux to windows as well since the z-net is running linux and that works. So what gives HS?

Comment

Just purchase a Z-Wave GPIO card and install it in your new RPi. Personally the footprint of the GPIO card works much better than the Z-Wave stick for me.

I currently utilize a "poor mans" DIY'd ZNet RPi in the attic.

It is just an RPi2 / ZWave GPIO card / RTC shim with battery

This RPi2 is multitasking a bit running OWFS-9097 and Node Red==> Mosquitto and also connected to a radio for downloading NOAA maps from NOAA satellites.

The HS3 Pro or HS3 Lite computers (both Ubuntu) can connect easily to the RPi2 / ZWave device in the attic. Thinking it works the same in Windows as it is just a simple sertonet serial to ethernet configuration.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.10.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I have always wanted to try and build a z-net but wasn't sure what all was needed. So I am gathering from this thread that I would need an RPi3 (newest I guess) and a z-wave GPIO card plugged into the top of the RPi3?

After that what is needed as far as software to get the thing talking to HS?

Is it really cheaper to go this route or just buy a z-net? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
            I have always wanted to try and build a z-net but wasn't sure what all was needed. So I am gathering from this thread that I would need an RPi3 (newest I guess) and a z-wave GPIO card plugged into the top of the RPi3?

After that what is needed as far as software to get the thing talking to HS?

Is it really cheaper to go this route or just buy a z-net? thanks
            Cheaper depends on level of comfort working with Linux and supporting it yourself. The dollars saving doesn't add up over long term with z-net being fully supported. Short term savings are decent though.

I don't have a problem with getting a GPIO card. Why doesn't Linux -> Windows work in a DIY manner? Is it really the GPIO card versus USB stick that the z-wave plugin is checking against?

Comment

[ATTACH]68982[/ATTACH]
              Last edited by Pete; May 26, 2018, 11:58 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
              HS4 Pro - V4.1.10.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
              HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                Cheaper depends on level of comfort working with Linux and supporting it yourself. The dollars saving doesn't add up over long term with z-net being fully supported. Short term savings are decent though.

I don't have a problem with getting a GPIO card. Why doesn't Linux -> Windows work in a DIY manner? Is it really the GPIO card versus USB stick that the z-wave plugin is checking against?
                I guess the z-net will be the best bet. It is all ready to go and as you said I would have to support it myself and I don't know anything about Linux.

Thanks Pete. Your pic looks very complicated and further convinced me to get the z-net.

Comment

Its not that complicated. The picture has a bunch of unrelated stuff unneeded for a zwave controller. What is needed is:

1) Raspberry Pi board
                  2) operating system: Raspbian Lite or NOOBS
                  3) zwave controller: GPIO or USB - (US) (EU) (AUS)
                  4) network to serial port connector: ser2net

As a jump start, attached zip will download, build & install ser2net, patched for EZZee GPIO LED control. Just download & unzip it on the raspi, read over the included 00README.txt, then enter command "make install" and you should be good-to-go.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by zwolfpack; June 4, 2018, 11:34 PM. Reason: added script to apply needed edits to /boot files

Comment

Yeah the RPi2 in the attic started as a Z-Wave controller with just the ZWave GPIO card and an RTC shim.

The additional hardware has not affected or slowed down the Z-Wave communications.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                      Its not that complicated. The picture has a bunch of unrelated stuff unneeded for a zwave controller. What is needed is:

1) Raspberry Pi board

As a jump start, attached zip will download, build & install ser2net. Just download & unzip it on the raspi, read over the included 00README.txt, then enter command "make install" and you should be good-to-go.
                      I already built that. Only I used a HUSBZ-1 USB stick. Everything works fine until trying to make it an inclusion controller (secondary) then it fails with replicating. I tried several times, erased and started over, restarted z-wave plugin and rebooted and still fails to replicate to it.

Making the controller is easy, getting HS3 to "work with it" in the same fashion as a z-net is what is not working.

Comment

1) Raspberry Pi board

As a jump start, attached zip will download, build & install ser2net. Just download & unzip it on the raspi, read over the included 00README.txt, then enter command "make install" and you should be good-to-go.
                        Thanks zwolfpack. I assume that the Z-Stick would work? I have one of those laying around. I will take another look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                          Thanks zwolfpack. I assume that the Z-Stick would work? I have one of those laying around. I will take another look at it.
                          It will. I don't have one but I'm pretty sure it looks the same to the raspi as a UZB stick, which I do have. If it doesn't work out of the box, let me know - additional configs can be added easily.

Comment

It will. I don't have one but I'm pretty sure it looks the same to the raspi as a UZB stick, which I do have. If it doesn't work out of the box, let me know - additional configs can be added easily.
                            The rPi is all setup and HS is happy with it as a controller but every time I try to "Make this interface an inclusion controller" it sits and sits and then I get the following error:

Code:
                            	Error reported in the Replication Send response object - Replication Send failed.
                            Is there something magic HS3 is looking for to make it an inclusion controller?

EDIT!!! The problem is with a distance issue between the SmartStick+ and the USB Stick I was using. I didn't think of it because it's in the same room 10 feet away!!!

I Found this posting about adding a 2nd Z-Net with the same problem: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...on+send+failed

FYI when trying to do the last step of making it an inclusion controller make sure they are within feet of each other... treat it like pairing a battery device!!!
                            Last edited by simplextech; May 26, 2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                              The rPi is all setup and HS is happy with it as a controller but every time I try to "Make this interface an inclusion controller" it sits and sits and then I get the following error:

Code:
                                  Error reported in the Replication Send response object - Replication Send failed.
                              Is there something magic HS3 is looking for to make it an inclusion controller?

EDIT!!! The problem is with a distance issue between the SmartStick+ and the USB Stick I was using. I didn't think of it because it's in the same room 10 feet away!!!

I Found this posting about adding a 2nd Z-Net with the same problem: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...on+send+failed

FYI when trying to do the last step of making it an inclusion controller make sure they are within feet of each other... treat it like pairing a battery device!!!
                              Interesting - I have never tried that. So the replication occurs over the air vs. over the network. Good find!

Comment

Working...
                              X