New Pi - Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvester View Post
    I have HS3PI running on a raspberry pi 4 as of last night. Tried contacting homeseer support on the phone a few minutes ago, and they refused to help me on the pi 4, saying it's not supported yet, they don't even have one in house to test on. So the problem I need help with is getting homeseer to run automatically when the pi 4 boots. everything runs fine when I run it manually run it using the ./go command in the homeseer directory (/etc/local/HomeSeer) but I don't know enough about linux to get it too start automatically. I tried editing rc.local, but don't think I'm doing it right. Does anyone on here have it running automatically on the pi 4, and if so, can you post exactly how to do it (like post a copy of your rc.local file and tell me howo to make it run). I am not knowledgable about linux, know just enough to get me in trouble ;-)
    I don't have a pi 4, but I verified that this installer works with the latest Raspbian "buster".

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...taller-package

Comment

I have HS3PI running on a raspberry pi 4 as of last night. Tried contacting homeseer support on the phone a few minutes ago, and they refused to help me on the pi 4, saying it's not supported yet, they don't even have one in house to test on. So the problem I need help with is getting homeseer to run automatically when the pi 4 boots. everything runs fine when I run it manually run it using the ./go command in the homeseer directory (/etc/local/HomeSeer) but I don't know enough about linux to get it too start automatically. I tried editing rc.local, but don't think I'm doing it right. Does anyone on here have it running automatically on the pi 4, and if so, can you post exactly how to do it (like post a copy of your rc.local file and tell me howo to make it run). I am not knowledgable about linux, know just enough to get me in trouble ;-)
      What lines did you put in your /etc/rc.local?
      Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
      Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
      Number of Devices: 633
      Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.54.0: BLBackup
      2.0.40.0: BLLAN
      3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
      30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
      3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
      3.0.0.87: weatherXML
      3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Systemd service is a more updated method of launching a service on boot in Linux. Quite simple to create a service file too.

Myself and a few others have posted their service files on the forum as examples. A quick search should yield results.

Comment

A simple Systemd service file will suffice to launch HS3 on boot. It’s now become a standard method of launching services in Linux and definitely a lot easier to construct.

All you have to consider really is your working folder and the path to HS3.

There’s a number of examples on the forum here. A quick search should throw up a few examples for you to easily edit to suit your own purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

I don't have a pi 4, but I verified that this installer works with the latest Raspbian "buster".

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...taller-package
            Thank you very much for this installer Zwolfpack!... and thanks to all the rest of you for your other suggestions. I downloaded Zwolfpack's installer to the raspberry pi downloads folder, extracted it there, edited the settings file for the pi edition, and installed it. HS3-pi runs fine, and autostarts at reboot. One thing I don't see is what directory it actually installed the homeseer system to. Pardon my ignorance, I have very limited linux or pi experience. Zwolfpack, can you tell me where to look for the homeseer installed package?

One other item of interest. I have been trying to get the pi4 to work with the aeotec Z-stick gen 5, but the pi 4 won't recognize it. Did a bunch of hunting around on the internet yesterday and today, and discovered that this is apparently a known problem between the aeotec z-stick and the pi4. The aeotec z-stick will work with all versions of pi except the pi 4. I'm using the aeotec z-stick on my hs3 pro S6 windows 10 machine, and had hoped to use it on the pi4. Anybody have any help with this issue? Will I need to find a different zwave stick or transmitter to work with the pi4? How will this affect me moving my home automation over to the pi if I decide to do that?

Right now, my S6 system has about 55 nodes and 250+ devices, and still growing. I'm in the middle of converting my 30 year old X10 smarthome from a Stargate/X10 system to zwave. I'm kind of hoping that the pi4 could replace the S6 system, as I would like to have a primary system and a standby backup system, and it would be a lot cheaper to do this with 2 pi4 systems rather than 2 S6 systems.

Comment

Default installation is at /opt/HomeSeer. This is specified in the same 01settings file previously mentioned
              Code:
              # default installpoint
              installpoint=/opt
              WRT aeotec Z-Stick - I presume you found this or similar article. This is unfortunate. I'd guess that your best chance for a workaround would be to place a hub (maybe a powered one) between the Pi 4 and the Z-Stick.

Comment

Thanks! Yes, that is the article I found. I tried an old Rosewill usb2 hub, but pi 4 would not recognize it. Tonight I ordered a 'Plugable' brand usb2 hub from Amazon that is highly rated by the Linux.org site as working well with Pi's. It will be here tuesday, so will give an update when it arrives.

I also opened a ticket with Aeotec support, pointing them to that same article, and asking if they can solve the problem. We'll see what happens.

Zwolfpack, do you run hs3 pro or standard on the pi 3? Do i understand correctly that your installer file would install the standard hs3 software on the pi if I didn't enable the line that points to the hs3-pi version? Just wondering how well the pi 4 would run standard hs3. Also, if I'm not trying to exceed 5 plug-ins, does it make any sense to run the hs3 standard instead of the hs3-pi version?

Comment

The installer was originally written for HS3 standard. I have an older Windows 7 Hometroller S6 and wanted to evaluate a possible move to Linux (the HS3-pro license on the S6 also works for HS3 standard). I recently added support for the HS3-Pi version when they offered a free license that I could test with.

My current thinking is to run with the S6 for the foreseeable future. I have concerns that HomeSeer isn't adequately supporting their Linux product. With luck, down the road there will be better choices available.

Comment

Update on the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 Incompatibility with Raspberry pi 4.

I received my usb2 hub from Amazon today, and using that usb hub, I can get the pi 4 to recognize and use the Z-Stick.

The hub I bought from Amazon is this one:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B005P2BY5I

It was $14.56

This hub does not seem to backfeed 5 volts to the pi, even though hub says it does charging through the 4 ports on the hub, so you still need your pi power supply running the pi 4. I tested that, and can confirm that it does not seem to backfeed the pi, as my pi died when I pulled it's power cord to test powering it though the hub. The pi rebooted immediately when I plugged the pi power supply back into the pi.

I plugged the hub into the pi, and the pi recognized the hub immediately. I then plugged the Z-stick into the hub, and dmesg showed the z-stick connected to ttyACM0. I then added that into the hs3-pi zwave plugin and it took it and seems to be working fine. I then moved my usb mouse and keyboard over to the hub, and they work fine over there also.

Aeotec support says they are working on a fix, but won't give any time frame for when the fix will be done. They suggested using a usb2 hub until the fix comes out. They said they would notify me when the fix is available.

So for now, at least there is a work-around to use the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5 with the raspberry pi 4.

I think my next experiment may be to move my S6 configuration and events over to the pi 4, and see if it will run my house ok... 58 nodes now and 250+ devices, still growing as I continue working on my X10 to zwave house conversion.

Any suggestions on the best way to make that move?

Comment

zwolfpack, I noticed that my bluetooth isn't running on the pi 4 after using your installer. The bluetooth does run ok when I boot the pi 4 from my other sd card that has stock raspbian on it (the one that won't autostart HS3-pi, but I can manually start hs3-pi on that one)... Can you shed any light on what I have to do to get the bluetooth running on the pi 4 after running your installer?

Thanks!

Comment

The installer configures the on-board UARTs for use by a GPIO Z-Wave controller, like the ones provided with the ZeeS2. A side effect of this is that bluetooth is disabled.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ration/uart.md

To re-enable,

1) In the file /boot/config.txt, remove or comment out the line added at the end

Code:
                        # disable bluetooth function and restore serial0/ttyAMA0 over GPIO 14&15
                        [COLOR=#FF0000]dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt[/COLOR]
                        2) re-enable the bluetooth service

Code:
                        systemctl enable hciuart
                        In order to prevent the installer from doing this in the future, edit the Makefile, and at line 74, remove bootedit from the target list

Code:
                        # upgrade HS3
                        upgrade-hs3: fetch-hs3 backup-hs3data install-hs3 restore-hs3data fix-vbnc fix-localtime fix-images fix-tools fix-hspicase [COLOR=#FF0000][B]bootedit [/B][/COLOR]install-service start-hs3

Comment

The installer configures the on-board UARTs for use by a GPIO Z-Wave controller, like the ones provided with the ZeeS2. A side effect of this is that bluetooth is disabled.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ration/uart.md

To re-enable,

1) In the file /boot/config.txt, remove or comment out the line added at the end

Code:
                          # disable bluetooth function and restore serial0/ttyAMA0 over GPIO 14&15
                          [COLOR=#FF0000]dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt[/COLOR]
                          2) re-enable the bluetooth service

Code:
                          systemctl enable hciuart
                          In order to prevent the installer from doing this in the future, edit the Makefile, and at line 74, remove bootedit from the target list

Code:
                          # upgrade HS3
                          upgrade-hs3: fetch-hs3 backup-hs3data install-hs3 restore-hs3data fix-vbnc fix-localtime fix-images fix-tools fix-hspicase [COLOR=#FF0000][B]bootedit [/B][/COLOR]install-service start-hs3
                          The Os will not let me save the file after I do instruction #1. How do I do this?

Comment

How are you editing the file? Assuming a command line editor such as nano or vi, preface the command with 'sudo':

Code:
                            sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Comment

How are you editing the file? Assuming a command line editor such as nano or vi, preface the command with 'sudo':

Code:
                              sudo nano /boot/config.txt
                              Linux noob here I tried to edit from the mousepad from File manager. Apparently I need a different app like one you mentioned?

Different note,
                              I just tried to register my HS3/4 license on a PI4/Raspberry and it failed. It said that the user/name and password were incorrect.
                              I contacted HS and the first question they asked was what hardware am I installing it on?
                              What should I do? Scrap and install Ubuntu or am I missing something?

BTW, thanks again for all the help here. It would have taken me a long time to figure this out without your installer.

Comment

You won't have sufficient privileges to edit that file from the GUI. The nano editor is really easy to use, I'd recommend trying that. Just type the command from the last post in a terminal window, scroll to the bottom of the file and either delete or comment out (insert a # character at the beginning of the line). Then follow the on-screen instructions to save the file.

If you ran the full installer, it should have created a userid 'homeseer' with password 'hsthsths3', which is what HomeSeer's initial page prompts you to enter.

Are you installing HS3 or HS4?

Comment

Working...
                                X