• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pi - Raspberry Pi 4

Just announced:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

With up to 4GB of ram.

Personally, I would have preferred if they had gone for dual NICs rather than dual displays.

Originally posted by adeux View Post
    Just announced:

With up to 4GB of ram.

Personally, I would have preferred if they had gone for dual NICs rather than dual displays.
    +1

—-
    John

Comment

Remember it's a school educational tool and not a commercial product. The fact that some have exploited it for commercial use would be a classic case of unintended consequences. Had it been purely commercially driven we would have been way past the famous €35 base price at this stage. So many board makers have tried and failed miserably. The community academic contribution has been the secret to the Raspberry Pi's longevity

Comment

I just posted this on another thread, but realized I should have probably posted it here:

I was lucky enough to reserve a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB at my local Micro Center on Thursday. Picked it up Friday and immediately took the leap and upgraded, got it working last night and this morning. I was coming from an RPi3 B+ on Stretch.

I can report no issues specifically with Buster. Everything seems to be just the same as Stretch. Granted I'm not doing a lot, just went with the simple UI version (not Lite) as I wanted the option to use the UI later. I then installed the latest Mono, Webmin, copied over my old HS3 and used zwolfpack's "update-hs3" and other scripts and it pretty much worked. Granted I had similar challenges I've always had being far from a Linux expert, but there was nothing I can attribute to the new RPi4 or Buster. My X15 is not working, but I've had issues with mochad drivers before so I don't think it's Buster. I think I'm to the point where I can retire that one anyway.

Webmin on my RPi3 was always 80+% memory usage with virtual memory very high as well. The new 4GB RPi4 has me currently at 16% RAM usage. Probably could have easily gone with the 2GB, but for just $10 more it gives me more flexibility.

If anyone wants me to check anything, let me know.

Ben

Comment

I'm in no hurry to make a purchase just yet. Reason is that it won't boot from USB and reports suggest it will take a little time for that matter to be resolved. I'm tired of the old flaky SD cards and booting from USB using SSD would be a must for me.

Comment

Super excited

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

While I do have some RPi's to kick around, I generally go with Hardkernel Odroid family for anything serious. At any given point in time they have better performance than the equivalent RPi offering. I see now that their N2 is able to boot from USB3/SSD. I like their HC1 with its SASI interface and heatsink/case that also houses the SSD. Last year I had to boot from SD but running applications off of SSD.

Comment

A few years ago I setup a RPi/HS3pi system in my detached garage/workshop. I could never get reliable Z-Wave operation in the building and thought it might be fun to learn to use Linux. Only a handful of X-10 and Z-Wave devices and mostly just events to turn things, like air compressors and water heaters off when I am not around. It worked, but there was no real advantage, since I couldn't get the two HS3 systems working together. I finally just put a Z-Net in the building and life was much simpler.

Having said that, I've been thinking about a backup system for my pump house monitoring. If I loose my network connection (as happened this summer), I'd like some local intelligence to continue to monitor and control things. I don't think I could use Z-Wave devices, but that isn't a major issue at the moment. Still think what is needed is a way for HS3 systems to be linked.

Barry

Comment

When transitioning from HS2 and HS3 Jon00 provided a utility to link HS2 with HS3. It could also be done with mcsXap for any combination of HS1, HS2 and HS3. I suspect it could be done with mcsMQTT as well for HS3. Managing redundancy is not trivial and one could easily run into additional failure modes that did not exist in a single HS3 install.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    When transitioning from HS2 and HS3 Jon00 provided a utility to link HS2 with HS3. It could also be done with mcsXap for any combination of HS1, HS2 and HS3. I suspect it could be done with mcsMQTT as well for HS3. Managing redundancy is not trivial and one could easily run into additional failure modes that did not exist in a single HS3 install.
                    Jon00’s utility can be used to link two instances of HS3.

“Mirror Homeseer 2 devices in Homeseer 3
                    Mirror Homeseer 3 devices in Homeseer 2
                    Trigger events on Homeseer 3 from Homeseer 2
                    Trigger events on Homeseer 2 from Homeseer 3
                    Control Homeseer 2 devices from Homeseer 3
                    Control Homeseer 3 devices from Homeseer 2
                    Run scripts (with or without parameters) installed on Homeseer 2 via Homeseer 3
                    Run scripts (with or without parameters) installed on Homeseer 3 via Homeseer 2
                    Near real time updating (depending on how many devices you mirror!)
                    Although not intended, it can also be used to link 2 or more copies of Homeseer 3 (or Homeseer 2) together with the same features as above”.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                      While I do have some RPi's to kick around, I generally go with Hardkernel Odroid family for anything serious. At any given point in time they have better performance than the equivalent RPi offering. I see now that their N2 is able to boot from USB3/SSD. I like their HC1 with its SASI interface and heatsink/case that also houses the SSD. Last year I had to boot from SD but running applications off of SSD.
                      I have on xu4 at home. it is running hot. But there community says it is ok.

Since i do not care about hearing the fan all the time, i'll chek if there a setting for this to be always on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by benposton View Post
                        I just posted this on another thread, but realized I should have probably posted it here:

I was lucky enough to reserve a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB at my local Micro Center on Thursday. Picked it up Friday and immediately took the leap and upgraded, got it working last night and this morning. I was coming from an RPi3 B+ on Stretch.

I can report no issues specifically with Buster. Everything seems to be just the same as Stretch. Granted I'm not doing a lot, just went with the simple UI version (not Lite) as I wanted the option to use the UI later. I then installed the latest Mono, Webmin, copied over my old HS3 and used zwolfpack's "update-hs3" and other scripts and it pretty much worked. Granted I had similar challenges I've always had being far from a Linux expert, but there was nothing I can attribute to the new RPi4 or Buster. My X15 is not working, but I've had issues with mochad drivers before so I don't think it's Buster. I think I'm to the point where I can retire that one anyway.

Webmin on my RPi3 was always 80+% memory usage with virtual memory very high as well. The new 4GB RPi4 has me currently at 16% RAM usage. Probably could have easily gone with the 2GB, but for just $10 more it gives me more flexibility.

If anyone wants me to check anything, let me know.

Ben
                        Thanks for posting this Ben!

So am I understanding correctly that you are running HS3 on the Raspberry Pi 4? Any Issues? Did you use any particular OS image? I have an original Homeseer Zee that is giving me problems, so I am considering getting a RPi4 and installing HS3 on it. (Already purchased the Linux HS3 when it was on sale and cashed in some points to get it for cheap...

Thanks for any guidance, experience, etc.

Ed

Comment

I'd hold off purchasing a Raspberry Pi 4 for the moment. It's inevitable that the Pi Foundation will need to release a revised version of the Raspberry Pi 4 to rectify the issue with the power supply USB-C type resistor sharing two pins. Also, the Pi 4 will not boot from USB which prevents users from booting from an SSD drive which would have resolved the need for using an SD card which we know can be flaky at the best of times.

Comment

I have HS3PI running on a raspberry pi 4 as of last night. Tried contacting homeseer support on the phone a few minutes ago, and they refused to help me on the pi 4, saying it's not supported yet, they don't even have one in house to test on. So the problem I need help with is getting homeseer to run automatically when the pi 4 boots. everything runs fine when I run it manually run it using the ./go command in the homeseer directory (/etc/local/HomeSeer) but I don't know enough about linux to get it too start automatically. I tried editing rc.local, but don't think I'm doing it right. Does anyone on here have it running automatically on the pi 4, and if so, can you post exactly how to do it (like post a copy of your rc.local file and tell me howo to make it run). I am not knowledgable about linux, know just enough to get me in trouble ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by adeux View Post
                              Just announced:

With up to 4GB of ram.

I've not checked it out but you might be able to use a USB to Ethernet dongle to get a second network port. The RPi 4 has a much faster USB channel so you could support gigabit speeds.
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Working...
                              X