New Pi - Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
    You won't have sufficient privileges to edit that file from the GUI. The nano editor is really easy to use, I'd recommend trying that. Just type the command from the last post in a terminal window, scroll to the bottom of the file and either delete or comment out (insert a # character at the beginning of the line). Then follow the on-screen instructions to save the file.

If you ran the full installer, it should have created a userid 'homeseer' with password 'hsthsths3', which is what HomeSeer's initial page prompts you to enter.

Are you installing HS3 or HS4?
    Thanks!

I used the file in your installer post. it is labeled "hs3-linux-installer-r3.zip" so I am assuming it is HS3.

Comment

After entering the PI4 IP, I can see the HS UI.
      I have no options available except to "Click here for instant online registration."
      I do notice that the user name is "default" at the top.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Views:	726
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1370035

Comment

This can be a bit confusing. There are two completely independent usernames at play here. 'User:default' at the top of the HS UI is the HS application username. The 'homeseer' userid I was referring to earlier is a Linux system user that is used to gain access to a couple of items deep in the menu. Its kind of silly, but "it is what it is" ...

Once you click on the registration link and enter you license info, I believe you are redirected to the screen that prompts you to change the system password and application username and password. (I may be getting HS3 & HS4 confused, as I have been playing with the latter a bit lately).

I always change the application user name from 'default' to 'admin'.

Comment

This can be a bit confusing. There are two completely independent usernames at play here. 'User:default' at the top of the HS UI is the HS application username. The 'homeseer' userid I was referring to earlier is a Linux system user that is used to gain access to a couple of items deep in the menu. Its kind of silly, but "it is what it is" ...

Once you click on the registration link and enter you license info, I believe you are redirected to the screen that prompts you to change the system password and application username and password. (I may be getting HS3 & HS4 confused, as I have been playing with the latter a bit lately).

I always change the application user name from 'default' to 'admin'.
          I have no access to anything in HS but the registration and unfortunately that is not working.
          I have contacted HS and are awaiting a response as to why I would receive an HS4 license when it is not even fully out yet.

Comment

I misunderstood (what did I say about confusing?) ... the license info has nothing to do with the user info I was describing. You'll need to get the license straightened out before you can get beyond that screen, at which point you will prompted to set the system and HS application passwords.

Comment

I misunderstood (what did I say about confusing?) ... the license info has nothing to do with the user info I was describing. You'll need to get the license straightened out before you can get beyond that screen, at which point you will prompted to set the system and HS application passwords.
              Understood. Thanks for the help.

Comment

You are the man zwolfpack!
                After getting the correct license from HS, everything went smoothly.
                After installing my plugins, restoring and rebooting the Pi4, HS starts on its own and everything is right as I had on my Pi3. I do notice the Pi4 is a bit snappier than the Pi3. I am going to test it further tomorrow but I wanted to thank you for all your work on the installer. It worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
                  You are the man zwolfpack!
                  After getting the correct license from HS, everything went smoothly.
                  After installing my plugins, restoring and rebooting the Pi4, HS starts on its own and everything is right as I had on my Pi3. I do notice the Pi4 is a bit snappier than the Pi3. I am going to test it further tomorrow but I wanted to thank you for all your work on the installer. It worked great.
                  JMAR - did you get the Pi-4 working with the "hs3-linux-installer-r3.zip" ? Just to clarify, you're still on HS3 until HS4 is released?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                    I'm in no hurry to make a purchase just yet. Reason is that it won't boot from USB and reports suggest it will take a little time for that matter to be resolved. I'm tired of the old flaky SD cards and booting from USB using SSD would be a must for me.
                    I know this is a bit of an old post but have you seen this? It seems that booting a pi-4 from a SSD is now doable. I'm in the process of changing my original HomeTroller to a pi-4 with 8GB of memory. As soon as I get that setup and running with the SD card, the next step will be to try booting from a SSD. If that works, the entire thing will be put into a nice little package and squirreled away in my media server room. https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...berry-pi-4-usb

Comment

Originally posted by FlymIfYouGotm View Post

I know this is a bit of an old post but have you seen this? It seems that booting a pi-4 from a SSD is now doable. I'm in the process of changing my original HomeTroller to a pi-4 with 8GB of memory. As soon as I get that setup and running with the SD card, the next step will be to try booting from a SSD. If that works, the entire thing will be put into a nice little package package and squirreled away in my media server room. https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...berry-pi-4-usb
                      Very interesting. Will be following this.
                      Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Very interesting. Will be following this.
                        Happy Thanksgiving!
                        I just wanted to be clear. Are you using a regular USB stick (thumb drive) or an SSD connected through a USB adapter?
                        Thanks!

Comment

I just wanted to be clear. Are you using a regular USB stick (thumb drive) or an SSD connected through a USB adapter?
                          Thanks!
                          According to the article in Tom's Hardware, they are using a standard, off the shelf SATA interface SSD they put in a USB docking station. They are powering the docked SSD separately from the pi-4 because the current draw may easily exceed what the pi-4 USB port can reliably supply. You can also get SSD Passport boxes that include a USB 3.2 interface and that may be the route I will go but I need to research further. I think the Passport will work if I can power them separately from the USB port. It looks like you can patch the firmware and it will still boot off of the SD card. After updating the firmware, if there is no SD boot card, the pi-4 will look for a USB Drive. After reading this article, it seems a shame they are not sent out with firmware already set up this way. More options and less hassle for the end user. Other than power, I am not sure if there are any other SSD limitations. According to the article, you can use a thumb drive but typically those are slower than the Micro SD cards.

Comment

It looks like the little M2 to USB adapter (Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/y3r7h89h ) might be the way to go. I have one and will give it a try. I'm in the process of moving so it might be a while.

Comment

It looks like the little M2 to USB adapter (Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/y3r7h89h ) might be the way to go. I have one and will give it a try. I'm in the process of moving so it might be a while.
                              That may work. So far I have tried a 250GB USB-3.2 JOIOT Portable SSD backup drive and I have not gotten the Pi-4 to boot from it. The boot files and partition all look good but the Pi will not recognize it on boot. I have also tried a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO and it worked great first time. Unfortunately, to ues the Samsung SSD I am using the USB-2 interface card from an old 1.5TB WD USB-2 backup drive. (The old HDD died but the USB to SATA interface card was still good.) This limits the speed of my SSD to the USB-2 interface speed. Unless I can figure out how to make the JOIOT SSD work, I may need to order a USB-3 to SATA adapter. According to others in the RPi world, the USB-3 drivers in the Pi-4 seem to have issues and are very finicky and picky about what hardware they like to play with. Just on a whim, I have tried plugging the JOIOT SSD into a powered USB-2 hub to see if that helped. NADA! If anyone else has any other ideas as to why this particular SSD will not boot I would love to hear it. It seems that all of the later shipped Pi-4's do have the updated firmware already flashed so they support booting from a SSD plugged into either USB-3 port right out of the box. Unfortunately, out of the box they don't support TRIM for SSD's so that requires a couple of pages of manual patching.

Comment

Can you help me understand the need to boot from SSD on a pi4? Should I pursue this or work on a remote backup system for my SDcard?

Comment

Working...
                                X