• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS in caravan

Hello!!

This is a project ...
    I consider installing HS3 in a caravan.

The caravan has power supply through 230V (camping stays) and 12v AMG battery (autonomous).
    In the future, solar panels will charge the battery.

The whole caravan works at 12v (except refrigerator and air conditioning). It has powered by switching power supply that automatically switches from 230v to 12v.

I am testing with Raspberry Pi 3 B + and HS3.
    As dimmers for LED lights I use Fibaro RGBW modules.
    I use RaspberryIO Plug In to monitor, among other things, level of clean and dirty water tanks.

I have various doubts:
    Raspberry Power Supply, I understand that it is delicate. I have thought of a PSU with backup battery. I have seen many, but powered with 5v, I should put voltage adapter. Do you know any sure way of powered Raspberry at 12v?

Access via HsTouch:
    Can I use Raspberry WiFi to directly connect a tablet? I tried, but I couldn't.

At the moment I am testing things and assessing whether this project is feasible.

Sorry for my English and thank you very much in advance to those who can give a little more light to the project.

Great idea, and I've been considering the same for our travel trailer. Any good USB power supply that is intended for use in vehicles should provide a stable 5V DC source for the Pi from the 10.5-13.xV from the batteries. Be default the Pi wireless is a client, but you can set it up as an AP: https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-ras...-access-point/. What kind of sensors are on your tanks and how are you connecting them to the Pi? The built in display in my trailer has 4 LEDs that show the battery, fresh water, grey water and black water levels when you press a button on the display. I had not researched how to interface to that yet. I've found the grey and black water readings to be wildly inaccurate with the built-in sensors.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hello sparkman, thanks for answering.

Any good USB power supply that is intended for use in vehicles should provide a stable 5V DC source for the Pi from the 10.5-13.xV from the batteries
      Do you mean a USB power supply that connects to the cigarette lighter?

Be default the Pi wireless is a client, but you can set it up as an AP: https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-ras...-access-point/.
      I'm going to try this ... but first ...
      Can I connect a physical access point to Raspberry and connect HsTouch through this access point?. This would be a network that would allow me to connect to the campsite WiFi or to the place where the caravan is located?.
      Usually in campsites they have WiFi.

What kind of sensors are on your tanks and how are you connecting them to the Pi? The built in display in my trailer has 4 LEDs that show the battery, fresh water, grey water and black water levels when you press a button on the display. I had not researched how to interface to that yet. I've found the grey and black water readings to be wildly inaccurate with the built-in sensors.
      This is part of the project. I have to find a way to be able to monitor battery charge level through HS. Water levels, water level sensors with REED relay are easy to connect to Raspberry through GPIO.
      I think the most difficult to monitor the battery charge level. It has to be quite accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by ferran View Post
        Yes, although you can find ones too that can be hard wired.

Can I connect a physical access point to Raspberry and connect HsTouch through this access point?. This would be a network that would allow me to connect to the campsite WiFi or to the place where the caravan is located?.
        Yes, a separate access point would work, but then you would have more items putting a load on the batteries if you don't have 230v available. I think I would want to keep the trailer WiFi and campsite WiFi separate.

This is part of the project. I have to find a way to be able to monitor battery charge level through HS. Water levels, water level sensors with REED relay are easy to connect to Raspberry through GPIO.
        I think the most difficult to monitor the battery charge level. It has to be quite accurate.
        Because the Pi does not have an analog input, you would need to use a voltage divider circuit and then an analog to digital converter. There are some example projects like that on the internet, so not too difficult (if you're comfortable with electronics). Here's one example I found: http://www.lediouris.net/RaspberryPI...nitor-12v.html

Comment

Yes, although you can find ones too that can be hard wired.
          I will try to find one cabled.

Yes, a separate access point would work, but then you would have more items putting a load on the batteries if you don't have 230v available.
          You are right, one of my concerns is energy consumption.

I think I would want to keep the trailer WiFi and campsite WiFi separate.
          I do not understand. To control HsPi using HsTouch, can I configure Pi as an access point, but then, how do I connect to PI to configure events and other things? by LAN ?.

Because the Pi does not have an analog input, you would need to use a voltage divider circuit and then an analog to digital converter. There are some example projects like that on the internet, so not too difficult (if you're comfortable with electronics). Here's one example I found: http://www.lediouris.net/RaspberryPI...nitor-12v.html
          The contribution is very good.

Comment

To control HsPi using HsTouch, can I configure Pi as an access point, but then, how do I connect to PI to configure events and other things? by LAN ?.
            That would be the simplest. Of course, if you want to access HS remotely (from other areas in the campground using their WiFi, or away from the campground), then things would need to get more complex.

Comment

That would be the simplest. Of course, if you want to access HS remotely (from other areas in the campground using their WiFi, or away from the campground), then things would need to get more complex.
              At some point in the project things will become complex ...

Comment

A question ...
                My test Raspberry is connected to my local network, but I cannot control it using HsTouch. Do you know how you should do it?

Comment

A question ...
                  My test Raspberry is connected to my local network, but I cannot control it using HsTouch. Do you know how you should do it?
                  I don't use HS Touch, so likely can't be a lot of help there. Can you ping the rPi from the HS Touch tablet?

Comment

Here I get lost ...

I don't know how to do what you say ...

Comment

I think I'm going to open a new post regarding this issue ...

I think that, when using two HS systems, I need a new license for HsTouch ...

Comment

ferran For the solar controller, I've gone to a Epever Triron model. It has an RS485 port which can be used to access data on it, including battery voltage, panel voltage, current, etc. My next steps is to see if the Modbus plugin can be used to access this data.

Comment

For networking including internet look at this unit here : https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte_kit or for others or great kits for your project check out this site here : https://linitx.com/category/teltonik...e-routers/1187

One other boy's toy to consider : DDAUTO Android 6.0 IPS Car Roof Mount MP5 Player.

But there is also this bad boy here : LattePanda Alpha which can be a good unit for such a project! It even has on board Arduino

For the router, it works well if you have the signal (4G) in range plus it works with wireless (WiFi) and LAN so you can add a small network switch.

Eman.
                          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                            ferran For the solar controller, I've gone to a Epever Triron model. It has an RS485 port which can be used to access data on it, including battery voltage, panel voltage, current, etc. My next steps is to see if the Modbus plugin can be used to access this data.
                            wow that's great, I don't know if it will be too much for my little caravan ...

Thank you for contributing something so interesting. If you can report your progress with Modbus plugin I will be very grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                              For networking including internet look at this unit here : https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte_kit or for others or great kits for your project check out this site here : https://linitx.com/category/teltonik...e-routers/1187

One other boy's toy to consider : DDAUTO Android 6.0 IPS Car Roof Mount MP5 Player.

But there is also this bad boy here : LattePanda Alpha which can be a good unit for such a project! It even has on board Arduino

For the router, it works well if you have the signal (4G) in range plus it works with wireless (WiFi) and LAN so you can add a small network switch.

Eman.
                              Great contributions ...

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X