• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Rpi feature request - Nightly reboot option

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2397.png
Views:	283
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1354166 We really need to have a setting option in HS3 (and HS4) to schedule nightly (or weekly) reboots. It would reduce the impact (to 24 hrs or less) of problems such as plugins that stop working after a power interruption or other reasons and coming home to a dark house. This is required to help increase the overall reliability of HS3/Rpi. I have my Rpi on UPS power and PLM on the AC Line because the UPS does not pass Insteon commands out onto the AC line. I thought there was an HS3/Rpi feature request area on this forum but I could not find one. Please advise. Thanks.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...taller-package

The included service unit will perform a graceful shutdown of HS3 when the system reboot/halt/poweroff commands are issued.

To set up, first remove how you currently start HS3. If you're running the HomeSeer HS3-Pi image, that would be via /etc/rc.local. In that file comment out the lines:

Code:
    sudo /usr/local/HomeSeer/autostart_hs &
    echo "HomeSeer is starting..."
    To install just the service. unzip the installer archive and run

Code:
    sudo make install-service
    Now you're setup to do a graceful reboot via an HS3 event action 'Run Another Program or Process', with executable '/sbin/reboot'.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...taller-package

The included service unit will perform a graceful shutdown of HS3 when the system reboot/halt/poweroff commands are issued.

To set up, first remove how you currently start HS3. If you're running the HomeSeer HS3-Pi image, that would be via /etc/rc.local. In that file comment out the lines:

Code:
      echo "HomeSeer is starting..."
      To install just the service. unzip the installer archive and run

Code:
      Now you're setup to do a graceful reboot via an HS3 event action 'Run Another Program or Process', with executable '/sbin/reboot'.
      Thanks. It might be just above my paygrade but I'll give it a go. So I i need to do all the work in the post you posted the link for or just follow the instructions you posted?

Comment

Just the instructions in my post above.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          Just the instructions in my post above.
          I have HS3 not HS3Pro. WIll this still work?

Comment

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post

I have HS3 not HS3Pro. WIll this still work?
            Yes. It is not dependent on HS vs. HS Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

Yes. It is not dependent on HS vs. HS Pro.
              ok just so I understand... the name of the service is autostart_hs and is already present on the image my HS3 came in?

Comment

Originally posted by ve3bwp View Post

ok just so I understand... the name of the service is autostart_hs and is already present on the image my HS3 came in?
                The name of the service is not autostart_hs. autostart_hs is a file in the HomeSeer directory /usr/local/HomeSeer on a Raspberry PI install of HomeSeer and is what is run from the file /etc/rc.local to start HomeSeer. Think of it like an autoexec.bat file in the old DOS days or your start up folder in Windows. When the PI boots one of the last things it does is run whatever commands are in the file /etc/rc.local. One of the commands in /etc/rc.local is autostart_hs.

You need to edit the /etc/rc.local file and comment out the line

Code:
                Then you have to download the installer package mentioned in post #3. Unzip it in the correct location and run the command

Code:

Comment

If you are running the image provided by HomeSeer (HS3-Pi), HS3 is started from the system file /etc/rc.local. This is an old-fashioned (deprecated since the 1990's) method and doesn't provide ability for orderly application shutdown at system shutdown.

The method I posted is a replacement for this. However it is necessary to remove the original startup method or the two will conflict. Thus the instruction to edit the /etc/rc.local file to remove the original startup command.

Comment

Which brings up the question, WHY would HST code things in this manner? A startup method deprecated since the 1990's? REALLY?
                    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
                    X