HS3 Rpi Insteon Reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Rpi Insteon Reliability?

Is there anyone on here that is running HS3 on a Raspberry Pi3 with Insteon that is having no problems with reliability?

i have had HS1 and HS2 on XP and aside from the usual Windows tantrums it worked ok. One problem I always ran into was the Insteon plugin not coming back from a power failure. The PLM connect to mains power, the PC connected to a true sinewave UPS. I was able get around coming home to a dark house by daily scheduled reboots.

When HS3 Rpi came out I jumped in it hoping for better reliability. My current system is an Rpi3B+ with HS3 non pro running in the Linux environment that ships with the HS3 Rpi image. Totally ’off the shelf’ so to speak. I use the Mnsandler Insteon, DSC and Sonos plugins.

Only add-on was a script to keep the virtual com port assignments the same on start up. This was required because the PLM and USB to serial adapter for the DSC alarm interface kept getting mixed up. Only way was to reboot with only the USB PLM them plug in the DSC USB/serial later and enable the DSC plugin. The script resolved that.

As things sit now I still have the Insteon plug in crash after a power interruption. Not always but i am on rural power so power bumps are common. Sometimes i can disable and re enable the plug in the bring Insteon connectivity back. Other times as soon as I try to disable the plugin it locks up homeseer and a power cycle is all that brings it back. when it crashes i usually get a SONOS plugin error too. I added SONOS last year. The insteon plugin was still failing the same way back then.

Insteon is now a 3rd party plugin and the developer supports the plugin. I have been working with the developer off and on for a few years now. No major breakthroughs yet but we’ll keep trying. I’ve had to run an insteon hub to keep the basics running when HS3/Insteon crashes to avoid coming home to a dark house. It’s a bit of a running joke now with the neighbors.

i even went so far as to totally replace all the hardware and PLM and download the image again and use a Sandisk platinum uSD card.

this is not a rant or to complain or trash anyone. I just need to know there are others out there that are running insteon/HS3Rpi/Zee with no issues. If you are i would love to hear from you. Or if you found a way to make it stay up for more than 3 weeks at time I would also love to hear from you just to compare notes.

thanks for reading this.

Hello,
    I also have a complete standard setup. Nothing fancy.
    I also see periodic “crashes” that means I have to power recycle the Zee to get things working again.
    It happens 1-3 times per month.
    I have tried to setup a periodic restart but that did not work - left the system down.
    I basically use the system to turn on the outdoor lights and some minor automation - e.g. turn on Sonos when we come home, nothing complicated.
    seriously considering to stop using HS as the stability is not OK.

PS - I have not been able to figure out why Zee stops working - the log file is deleted every time a restart is done.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.550
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 12 Minutes 35 Seconds
    IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    Number of Devices: 307
    Number of Events: 20
    Available Threads: 396
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.1.1.0: JowiHue
    3.1.0.53: Sonos
    3.0.2.0: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by BrianB View Post
      Hello,
      I also have a complete standard setup. Nothing fancy.
      I also see periodic “crashes” that means I have to power recycle the Zee to get things working again.
      It happens 1-3 times per month.
      I have tried to setup a periodic restart but that did not work - left the system down.
      I basically use the system to turn on the outdoor lights and some minor automation - e.g. turn on Sonos when we come home, nothing complicated.
      seriously considering to stop using HS as the stability is not OK.

PS - I have not been able to figure out why Zee stops working - the log file is deleted every time a restart is done.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.550
      Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 12 Minutes 35 Seconds
      IP Address: 127.0.0.1
      Number of Devices: 307
      Number of Events: 20
      Available Threads: 396
      HSTouch Enabled: True
      Event Threads: 0
      Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
      Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
      Device Exec Queue: 0
      HSTouch Event Queue: 0
      Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.1.1.0: JowiHue
      3.1.0.53: Sonos
      3.0.2.0: Z-Wave
      So I'm not the only one on earth running this system! . Mine suddenly got less unreliable not too long after I created this thread. Like yours it's now 1 to 3 times per month. The only change that I am aware of was an update to the Sonos plugin. It sounds like you and I have tried the same work arounds and getting the same stability result.

I've since set up HomeSeer on Windows 10 running it along side Zee. So far the Zee version crashes less often then the windows version gets halted by a problem after Win 10 update or the update has halted start up waiting for user input. I also run an Insteon Hub (which has been the most reliable) to do some basic lighting timers and other basic functions as a safety net for when the Zee crashes. Unfortunately the Hub does not have very much conditional logic to do the full job.

I used to own a security system business. I've had many old customers ask me to hand craft a home automation system like mine for their residences or farms. I never sold or installed systems that I didn't run myself. Unfortunately I have had to decline. Homeseer is fine to tinker with at home and that's it. I could never put my reputation on the line or sign myself up for the aggravation. I would need to give up on HS and find something better that would support Insteon.

I see you have 307 devices but indicated you are using HS for some basic control and automation. Are they Insteon or Zwave? Do you use another controller for any more advanced automation?

Comment

Sorry to hear that you have similar problems.
        i have recently setup HS Zee to restart every second day - not that this helped a lot.
        The majority of the devices are from Sonos and Jowihue- and just one zwave switch to control outside lights.
        Even with the restarts I sometimes have to manually restart the Sonos plugin to get device updates working - And I see that Jowihue plugin does periodic self restarts.
        So it is not perfect.
        I recently moved most of the out door lights controls to HUE - you don’t get the same conditional controls - but it works every day.

I noticed that HS4 is out for ZEE - but I am a bit reluctant to go that way, when I don’t know if it will work better...

I also have a house ventilation system, solar panels and heat pump, that I would like to include in the automation - but I halted all that due to stability and the fact that ZEE only can manage 5 plugins

so basically I am back to more manual controls - it works, but requires me to be “online” ... 😃

when reading other posts on different automation it seems that lots of people are doing more complicated stuff - and not mentioning stability.
        so maybe it’s the ZEE platform that’s not working.

Did you consider moving to a Linux based solution?
        I have considered the new Intel NUC device, which is relative cheap - but I do not have Linux Knowledge, and don’t have time to figure out how to do things.
        Basically I want an out of the box solution that gives you conditional rules and ties together the different things you have in your house..

stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianB View Post
          Sorry to hear that you have similar problems.
          i have recently setup HS Zee to restart every second day - not that this helped a lot.
          The majority of the devices are from Sonos and Jowihue- and just one zwave switch to control outside lights.
          Even with the restarts I sometimes have to manually restart the Sonos plugin to get device updates working - And I see that Jowihue plugin does periodic self restarts.
          So it is not perfect.
          I recently moved most of the out door lights controls to HUE - you don’t get the same conditional controls - but it works every day.

I noticed that HS4 is out for ZEE - but I am a bit reluctant to go that way, when I don’t know if it will work better...

I also have a house ventilation system, solar panels and heat pump, that I would like to include in the automation - but I halted all that due to stability and the fact that ZEE only can manage 5 plugins

so basically I am back to more manual controls - it works, but requires me to be “online” ... 😃

when reading other posts on different automation it seems that lots of people are doing more complicated stuff - and not mentioning stability.
          so maybe it’s the ZEE platform that’s not working.

Did you consider moving to a Linux based solution?
          I have considered the new Intel NUC device, which is relative cheap - but I do not have Linux Knowledge, and don’t have time to figure out how to do things.
          Basically I want an out of the box solution that gives you conditional rules and ties together the different things you have in your house..

stay safe!
          So I've somehow made some progress. My HS3 Rpi system and been running for months at a time between crashes. What seemed to help this along is I just issue several Stop Plugin/Restart Plugin commands per day to the Insteon Plugin. That's all I can think of that helped.

I began looking at Home-Assistant.io as an alternative. I set it up on an Rpi4 with a PLM but getting it to recognize my Insteon devices is proving to be a challenge. Turns out HA is popular but few users are using it to run Insteon so getting help to get going has proven illusive. I'll plug away at it on rainy days. More to come...

Comment

Working...
          X