WiFi Static IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Static IP

Ok, I've read posts on earlier HS3 having issue(s) on static IP entries, but thought this was resolved (I think posts were from 2015/6).
    Currently using:
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V6 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Interface fairly strait forward on assigning static IP's; the LAN interface appears w/o issue, working as intended.
    However on WLAN interface, not able to obtain an IP unless I create a reservation on the router (DD-WRT).

Was curious if this normal? Including several printers, scanners, cameras, & other devices on the home LAN, don't remember having to create reservations for other devices (not that I can think of).

Thanks, Jeff

LAN side is for the address reservation and Wan side is for port forwarding which you shouldn't need unless you are running MyHS with a static internet provider or a DDNS. Then it just the port you want exposed.

Comment

I assign all of my devices through the router (in my case a ubiquity edgemax pro). I then have a single point of change and I maintain DHCP on all the devices. On laptop running linux, I reserve an IP address for both the wired and wireless. I would run the Zee S2 wired if possible.

The instruction for the zee suggest you keep DHCP

Configuring the Optional Wi-Fi Adapter If you wish to connect your Zee to your home network using WiFi, you’ll need to purchase and install the optional WiFi adapter. Follow these instructions to configure the WiFi adapter:
      1. Connect the Wi-Fi adapter to your HomeTroller with the Ethernet cable still attached.
      2. Access the Network Tab of the Setup section. Locate the Wi-Fi Settings section.
      3. Enter the SSID (Wi-Fi network name) of your Wi-Fi. (This is case sensitive)
      4. Choose your encryption type and enter your Wi-Fi password. Keep ‘Use DHCP’ checked.
      5. Go to Tools->System->Shutdown System and shut the system down. Unplug the power and Ethernet cables. Now reconnect the power and let the system boot.
      6. Using any browser-enabled device, access find.homeseer.com. Your WiFi connected HomeTroller Zee should now be accessible!

Comment

I assign all of my devices through the router (in my case a ubiquity edgemax pro). I then have a single point of change and I maintain DHCP on all the devices. On laptop running linux, I reserve an IP address for both the wired and wireless. I would run the Zee S2 wired if possible.
        So all your devices get IP's via DHCP? Devices like window/door & PIR sensors, outlets and switches? Perhaps that's a Linux thing on the 908Mhz Z-Wave network...? I was only talking about the WLAN interface on the gui of the TrollerZee with connectivity to my LAN. I prefer Static for something of this much power & control, like my cameras, thus the curious post.

Reading the instructions is exactly why I am continuously on these forums, hunting down information for a newb just starting out in this ...stuff.
        I can't even imagine how scary info was, even worse, twenty years ago :/

Comment

Sorry - bad choice of words. All of my servers, desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, and printers.

Comment

mycastle why are you wanting to use both the wired and wireless connections at the same time? Just use the wired connection.

Comment

@AllHailJ -Much better sense, thx.

@drhtmal -I had to during the troubleshooting of the issue of no connectivity when setting a static IP on WLAN; only after setting a reservation (on my router) was I able to achieve connectivity. I don't recall any devices needing a reservation; I'd simply set & reboot.

Locating the TrollerZee is much more convenient (& hidden) when only a power cord is necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X