Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing HS3-Pi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Maybe the hummingboard is a valid option as well then ?

    Comment


    • #32
      You are correct, the BeagleBoard is 512MB, we were working with the manufacturer to supply us with a 1GB version, which they could do. Cost turned out to be the big issue, we wanted to keep the cost as low as possible.

      Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
      Thanks about the comment of the beagleboard !
      But doesn't it have 512 MB iso 1GB RAM ?
      website| buy now| support| youtube

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rjh View Post
        Let me clarify some of this.

        Originally, we wanted the Zee to run EXE plugins just like the Windows HS3. However, there was a problem with MONO ver 2.10 where remote calls were not reliable and it would sometimes call the wrong function. So to fix this we made a minor change to the plugin API so plugins could be a DLL instead. This fixed the problem and we released the Zee with this special build of HS3. That is what the Zee build is today. Also, MONO only worked on the soft float version of Linux so that is what we had to use.

        Now, MONO is at version 3.2 on the PI, the PI OS is now hard float (means it runs a little faster) and the original remote call issue is fixed, so EXE plugins now work. Our intent was to change the Zee so it would support exe plugins. However, after much testing we decided to not do this. The reason is that each EXE plugin runs in its own MONO process and each process uses at least 30MB of memory. Add that to the mem that the plugin uses and you quickly start using up the 512MB of memory on the PI. So while it works ok with 2 or 3 plugins, it will probably run out of memory with more. So the user experience will less than optimal! So we decided to keep with the DLL plugins for now. I wish they would do a 1GB version of the PI, that would solve the problem.

        Note that you can run HS3 on the BeagleBoard and it really runs fast there. That board has 1GB of RAM and much faster processor.

        Now if you have a PI, you can run the Linux version of HS3 and run EXE plugins. As long as you monitor memory and know the limits, it will probably be fine. If some of you want to do this but don't know how to get it installed, I can create an SD image already configured. If you purchased HS3 or HS3PRO, the Linux version is free.

        Some have asked if you can use remote plugins with the current Zee, I have not actually tried that, but there is nothing in the code to stop it from working, so I think it should work. In fact, if you run an EXE plugin on the Zee from the HS3 folder, I think that also works. You could launch the plugin from the startup script. The Zee version only initializes the DLL plugins that are included, it does not scan the folder for plugins like with EXE plugins. But EXE plugins can run straight from the command line. They have to be in the HS3 folder so they have access to the correct dll files.

        Some have asked if they can create their own DLL plugins for the standard Zee, I will look into that and post back. But it might just be better to run the Linux ver of HS3, then you have access to the updater.
        Rich, thanks for the clarification that explains a lot. I can see why you don't actively promote full HS3 on the PI as people's expectations soon run away with themselves and once they hit the limitations of the hardware it would come back on you. Your approach to offer the slightly restricted Zee and PI versions at reduced price must be commended.

        The PI is designed to be experimented with so it's good that full HS3 can also be run and we can see how far we can push it. When I have some time I will certainly play around with more plugins and monitor memory use and see how I get on. I'm also keen on spreading the load by running HS3 on one PI and plugins on another PI or multiple PIs, which I think is possible but I haven't tried it. Feedback from people experimenting will help us all so let's hope as many people as possible are tempted to try.

        Thanks again for your input.

        Steve

        Comment


        • #34
          I did try remote plugins with the standard Zee and it does not work. The issue is that there is a slight plugin API change and that causes and exception to be thrown. So for now, the solution is to just run the full Linux version, that does support remote plugins.
          website| buy now| support| youtube

          Comment


          • #35
            Use HS3PRO license with HS3 Linux on Pi

            Originally posted by macromark View Post
            Your HS3PRO license will also work with the HS3PRO Linux version of the software. HS3-Pi is not the same software and uses different licensing.
            Glad to hear this - I didn't see the download file in the downloads area. Is it named something different that HS3Pro Pi?

            Bill

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by wbmurray@comcast.net View Post
              Glad to hear this - I didn't see the download file in the downloads area. Is it named something different that HS3Pro Pi?

              Bill
              The link is available in the first post of this thread. It's a link to an image file.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                The link is available in the first post of this thread. It's a link to an image file.
                Looks like Bill is looking for HS3-Linux, not HS3-Pi

                HS3-Linux is available here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167560

                Comment


                • #38
                  Correctamundo

                  Originally posted by spud View Post
                  Looks like Bill is looking for HS3-Linux, not HS3-Pi

                  HS3-Linux is available here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167560

                  Thanks - I have HS3Pro running on Linux.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    Let me clarify some of this.

                    Originally, we wanted the Zee to run EXE plugins just like the Windows HS3. However, there was a problem with MONO ver 2.10 where remote calls were not reliable and it would sometimes call the wrong function. So to fix this we made a minor change to the plugin API so plugins could be a DLL instead. This fixed the problem and we released the Zee with this special build of HS3. That is what the Zee build is today. Also, MONO only worked on the soft float version of Linux so that is what we had to use.

                    Now, MONO is at version 3.2 on the PI, the PI OS is now hard float (means it runs a little faster) and the original remote call issue is fixed, so EXE plugins now work. Our intent was to change the Zee so it would support exe plugins. However, after much testing we decided to not do this. The reason is that each EXE plugin runs in its own MONO process and each process uses at least 30MB of memory. Add that to the mem that the plugin uses and you quickly start using up the 512MB of memory on the PI. So while it works ok with 2 or 3 plugins, it will probably run out of memory with more. So the user experience will less than optimal! So we decided to keep with the DLL plugins for now. I wish they would do a 1GB version of the PI, that would solve the problem.

                    Note that you can run HS3 on the BeagleBoard and it really runs fast there. That board has 1GB of RAM and much faster processor.

                    Now if you have a PI, you can run the Linux version of HS3 and run EXE plugins. As long as you monitor memory and know the limits, it will probably be fine. If some of you want to do this but don't know how to get it installed, I can create an SD image already configured. If you purchased HS3 or HS3PRO, the Linux version is free.

                    Some have asked if you can use remote plugins with the current Zee, I have not actually tried that, but there is nothing in the code to stop it from working, so I think it should work. In fact, if you run an EXE plugin on the Zee from the HS3 folder, I think that also works. You could launch the plugin from the startup script. The Zee version only initializes the DLL plugins that are included, it does not scan the folder for plugins like with EXE plugins. But EXE plugins can run straight from the command line. They have to be in the HS3 folder so they have access to the correct dll files.

                    Some have asked if they can create their own DLL plugins for the standard Zee, I will look into that and post back. But it might just be better to run the Linux ver of HS3, then you have access to the updater.
                    I understand the reason. You want a stream line product, allthough a limited one.

                    My point still stands: Even if the Pi has a limited amount of RAM, it should still be MY CHOICE what plugins I want. If I cut it to the bone, I only need Z-wave and RFXCOM (and perhaps Arduino or my Textseer), but at least I should be given the option to choose...



                    That said, I've been playing with the Zee during my vacation. It's still a pretty cool device.
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

                    Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                      My point still stands: Even if the Pi has a limited amount of RAM, it should still be MY CHOICE what plugins I want. If I cut it to the bone, I only need Z-wave and RFXCOM (and perhaps Arduino or my Textseer), but at least I should be given the option to choose...
                      Moskus - the Pi version is intentionally limited and, because of that, is sold at 1/2 the cost of the full HS3 version. Having said that, you can run the standard Linux version (with .exe plug-ins) on a Pi. We do not support this, but, if you know what you're doing with Linux (unlike me! ), you should be able to make this work.
                      website | products | support | youtube

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Is Insteon Supported?

                        Hello, can anyone confirm if Insteon is supported on the HS3-PI version? I'm seeing conflicting data on the Hoomseer website: The "product" page says "Supports Z-Wave, Insteon and X10 devices," however on the Compare Systems page, it says that Insteaon is not supported.

                        Also, can anyone confirm that this does have a 30 day trial?

                        Thanks,
                        crussty

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          The HS3-PI version as well as the HomeTroller Zee support the HomeSeer HSInsteon plugin, its already installed.

                          Originally posted by crussty
                          Hello, can anyone confirm if Insteon is supported on the HS3-PI version? I'm seeing conflicting data on the Hoomseer website: The "product" page says "Supports Z-Wave, Insteon and X10 devices," however on the Compare Systems page, it says that Insteaon is not supported.

                          Also, can anyone confirm that this does have a 30 day trial?

                          Thanks,
                          crussty
                          website| buy now| support| youtube

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            The HS3-PI version as well as the HomeTroller Zee support the HomeSeer HSInsteon plugin, its already installed.
                            Rich, thanks for the quick reply. Can you (or anyone else) confirm if it is supposed to have a 30 day trial? I downloaded the image and tried to run it but it is telling my I need a license to do anything but view that I need a license...

                            (And sorry for the double post earlier. New to this forum and thought it didn't post correctly the first try.0

                            Thanks,

                            Chris Russell

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Hometroller zee

                              I have a Hometroller zee, would Ibe able to use my Zee license on the PI software?

                              Originally posted by macromark View Post
                              Your HS3PRO license will also work with the HS3PRO Linux version of the software. HS3-Pi is not the same software and uses different licensing.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                The original Zee / HS3 license software can be utilized on a RPi/RPi2 with a base configuration.

                                Same / similiar if you download the Pi image and replace the HomeSeer directory with the original Zee Homeseer directory.

                                Ask Mark relating to seeing if you can upgrade your Zee license to a Zee-2 license and how much it is to do that today.
                                Last edited by Pete; April 22nd, 2016, 06:11 AM.
                                - Pete

                                Auto mator
                                HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.449 | OS Ubuntu 18.10 64 bit | Mono version 5.18.0.225 | Headless | Oracle Virtual Box Windows
                                Hardware ==> Pine64 2Gb ARM | iSeries 3 16Gb Intel computer | POE ZWave.me GPIO RPi2
                                Homeseer Designer version 3.0.0.1 | Homeseer Windows Touch version 3.0.0.30 | Homeseer Speaker version 3.0.0.3
                                1998 - Homeseer 1 running on Windows 98
                                2004 - Homeseer 2 running on XP / W2003 Server
                                2013 - Homeseer 3 running on Ubuntu

                                ______________________

                                MQTT Software - mcsMQTT - Node Red - Home Assistant
                                MQTT Hardware - SonOff Basic WiFi GDO sensor and control, SonOff Basic Wifi 1Wire hub, H801 RGB Controller, SonOff SV
                                LED Controller
                                ______________________


                                2003 - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2, Omnitouch screens, CCTV, Omnistat, Russound

                                X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi Mosquitto automation.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X