Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller Zee2 vs HS3-Pi vs HS3 Std. Linux

Hello homeseers,

Anyone care to clarify how the HS3-Pi downloadable software differ from the software that comes onboard with the Hometroller Zee2?

AFAIK, on the Hometroller Zee2, you are limited to 5 plug-ins of your choice. Does the same limit apply to a HS3-Pi license? Any other limitations one should be aware off?

Additionally, can one download the HS3-Pi software, bake a microSD card with it, boot it up to install, then simply replace the Homeseer folder with a Homeseer folder backed up from a previous HS3 Std. Linux install, in order to move a working installation from a Pi2 to newer Pi3 hardware?

If so, that would simplify the HS3 Linux install process, since you wouldn't need to manually install Debian, Mono and everything else.

Thanks in advance,
    Cesar

Comment

HS3-Pi downloadable software differ from the software that comes onboard with the Hometroller Zee2?

The downloadable software is just an image with a boot script to bake your own Zee2.

The versions of HS3 lite are the same on the two.

Any other limitations one should be aware off?

no.

Additionally, can one download the HS3-Pi software, bake a microSD card with it, boot it up to install, then simply replace the Homeseer folder with a Homeseer folder backed up from a previous HS3 Std. Linux install, in order to move a working installation from a Pi2 to newer Pi3 hardware?

Yes and no.

I did that originally with the first Zee2 and just copied out the HS3 directory to my own DIY RPi2 way back.

A HS3 standard and Pro build will can tax your RPi3/RPi2 if you push it. I am taxing my Zee-2 build right now adding the limit of plugins plus a bunch of scripts.

Best to try it yourself.

The image is propietary with a DR recovery mode that will wipe out the running OS HS3 partition and build a new one.

AFAIK, on the Hometroller Zee2, you are limited to 5 plug-ins of your choice. Does the same limit apply to a HS3-Pi license?

Yes.

If so, that would simplify the HS3 Linux install process, since you wouldn't need to manually install Debian, Mono and everything else.

Yes but you still will need to be aware of the Linux OS a bit. I personally here have kept the Wheezy OS up to date.

And the contradiction to the above statement.

There are many Zee-2 folks that have never updated the Wheezy OS and are still running the original un updated OS and HS3 is running fine.
      Last edited by Pete; August 11, 2016, 12:24 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks, Pete. Will start on the new PI3 from scratch. Since I'll have to start from square one, I may even try to put that old Udoo Quad sadly lying on a drawer to some use...

Comment

There is no breaking of the Pi3 and it seems to me that the newest microSD cards are better made than those of yesteryear.

I got a warm and fuzzy knowing a bit about a Windows OS / Homeseer same as Linux OS / Homeseer. But that is me.

That said my old circa 2009 Intel Atom based 7" tabletops (big board embedded Intel stuff) are still running just fine with soldered on good stuff MMC memory and a dash of old and slow SSD. Both are utilized today for one OS.

Udoo Quad......we now have mini Intel Cedarville, Penwell, Cloverview, Baytrail, Morefield, Cherry Trail and Braswell...where do these names come from anyways?

Over the years did switch out my USB boot based irrigation controller to a USB / SSD based one. I don't pay attention to it anymore today. It just works and is based on the whole fat ARM CPU / linux / mono thing.
          Last edited by Pete; August 11, 2016, 09:12 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS3 OR HS3 PI

Good morning Pete,

I am looking at switching over to using either the HS3 software to run on a dedicated ACER Rivo desktop with Atom processor, or to go to the Raspberry PI with HS3 PI software.

I am sure the following have been answered before, so feel free to redirect me to another section of the forum.

I am looking at switching over to Z-Wave, I have looked at different venues but none seem to meet my simple requirement. I simply want to do be able to control my modules, via conditional If and Then action, but without the INTERNET, for processing.

Maybe the initial setup could be done via the Internet but once completed, I want to disconnect and have to have my system work on its own, I want commands and action reaction to be instantanious, and not have to go through the Internet and back.

PS, please note that I'm an old fart with no programming experience or expertise, I don't understand all these API stuff or whatever.

Thanks Pete

Dom

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Dom!

I am looking at switching over to using either the HS3 software to run on a dedicated ACER Rivo desktop with Atom processor, or to go to the Raspberry PI with HS3 PI software.

Try them both if you want.

Will you be running Wintel or Linux on the Acer Rivo? Guessing it comes with Windows on it. The RPi off the shelf runs Linux but not windows.

Here started with the HS3 Zee-2 DIY'd with a Z-Wave GPIO / RTC shim and put it in the attic with a fast microSD card.

The recently tested(ing) the Pine64/2Gb RPi-like (built in RTC with battery) device running Ubuntu 16.04 64bit and a Xi3/Xi5A AMD based (with a 32Gb mSATA card / 2Gb of RAM) also running Ubuntu 16.04 64bit. Both work fine.

Left the RPi2 (old seer) in the attic with Z-Wave and remoting the controller to the Xi5A.

Many folks are using USB Stick Z-Wave controllers which work fine. I have them here too.

I am looking at switching over to Z-Wave, I have looked at different venues but none seem to meet my simple requirement. I simply want to do be able to control my modules, via conditional If and Then action, but without the INTERNET, for processing.

Homeseer 3 (Zee-2 lite), Homeseer 3 Standard and Homeseer 3 Pro all do what you want. I personally have the HS3 INTERNET stuff off and do not utilize it on my Zee-2 (HS3 lite) and HS3 Pro box. It is just a check box in the HS3 GUI.

It's quick to me but I am old such that quick is relative to my age now.

It's been mentioned this morning. You can run HS3 on Linux and never do anything with the HS3 provided Linux OS if you wanted to. The Homeseer GUI is the same in Windows and LInux.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X