Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spud View Post
    A Zee is a Pi with a stripped down version of HS3 Linux pre-installed
    According to your signature you already own a HS3 Pro license, so you could install HS3 Linux on your Zee at no additional cost.
    Yeah, but the ones I want to recommend it to can't do that...
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
      This is not to get at anyone but I don't understand all the complaints about the Zee and HS3-PI not running plugins. My understanding is that the HS3-PI software is sold as a 'lite' version of HS3 and it is priced accordingly.
      Why would anyone want that?

Perhaps it's just me but I can't imagine thinking "Okay, I'll get this system to control a few lights, but I will never, ever do anything else." At the moment you can't even upgrade to a better license.

I'm sorry for my rants, but I got a Zee when it was brand new, and I feel a little let down. It was said it was just a "mono problem" that it couldn't run other plugins, but now when that is no longer an issue, we still don't get Linux plugins.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        Why would anyone want that?
        Because it's half the price!
        You can do a lot with HS3 using just ZWave, X10 and HSTouch. That's enough for a lot of people. It's all I was using until fairly recently. If you want more then you buy a full license.
        I do agree though that there should be an upgrade path.
        Steve

Comment

Can anybody comment on the performance of HS3 (linux, no HS3-PI) on a raspberry ?

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
            Can anybody comment on the performance of HS3 (linux, no HS3-PI) on a raspberry ?

Sure. I haven't run it on Windows to compare to. However, I can say that while it isn't snappy, it's no dog either. Seems to run acceptably well for me.

It doesn't spike the CPU too much or use all the RAM.

I suggest you run the trial to see if it meets your needs. That's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
              Because it's half the price!
              You can do a lot with HS3 using just ZWave, X10 and HSTouch. That's enough for a lot of people. It's all I was using until fairly recently. If you want more then you buy a full license.
              I do agree though that there should be an upgrade path.
              Steve
              It's half the price, but it ain't got an entire world of computing power either!
              And if money it's important there are alternatives to the Zee/HS3-Pi. If you want to get users, I believe a better approach is to let the user pick what he wants to do. When he hits the wall, he can upgrade. Now you hit the wall pretty fast, almost after turning on the box (IMHO)...

There WILL be a limit on what HS3 can do on a Raspberry Pi, but I'd like to decide that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                There WILL be a limit on what HS3 can do on a Raspberry Pi, but I'd like to decide that myself.
                That's what full HS3 (linux) on the PI is for. No need to restrict yourself with the HS3-PI version if it doesn't do everything you want. Others may be happy to pay half the money for the software if it does all they need to do. I for one do a lot more than turn lights on and off without using any plugins. That's not to say that plugins can't take you to another world of fun though.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus
                  I was just hoping to get a quality system running on a Pi, that's all.
                  That's what I don't understand about what you are saying. What is stopping you running full HS3 on the PI?

Steve

Comment

Let me clarify some of this.

Originally, we wanted the Zee to run EXE plugins just like the Windows HS3. However, there was a problem with MONO ver 2.10 where remote calls were not reliable and it would sometimes call the wrong function. So to fix this we made a minor change to the plugin API so plugins could be a DLL instead. This fixed the problem and we released the Zee with this special build of HS3. That is what the Zee build is today. Also, MONO only worked on the soft float version of Linux so that is what we had to use.

Now, MONO is at version 3.2 on the PI, the PI OS is now hard float (means it runs a little faster) and the original remote call issue is fixed, so EXE plugins now work. Our intent was to change the Zee so it would support exe plugins. However, after much testing we decided to not do this. The reason is that each EXE plugin runs in its own MONO process and each process uses at least 30MB of memory. Add that to the mem that the plugin uses and you quickly start using up the 512MB of memory on the PI. So while it works ok with 2 or 3 plugins, it will probably run out of memory with more. So the user experience will less than optimal! So we decided to keep with the DLL plugins for now. I wish they would do a 1GB version of the PI, that would solve the problem.

Note that you can run HS3 on the BeagleBoard and it really runs fast there. That board has 1GB of RAM and much faster processor.

Now if you have a PI, you can run the Linux version of HS3 and run EXE plugins. As long as you monitor memory and know the limits, it will probably be fine. If some of you want to do this but don't know how to get it installed, I can create an SD image already configured. If you purchased HS3 or HS3PRO, the Linux version is free.

Some have asked if you can use remote plugins with the current Zee, I have not actually tried that, but there is nothing in the code to stop it from working, so I think it should work. In fact, if you run an EXE plugin on the Zee from the HS3 folder, I think that also works. You could launch the plugin from the startup script. The Zee version only initializes the DLL plugins that are included, it does not scan the folder for plugins like with EXE plugins. But EXE plugins can run straight from the command line. They have to be in the HS3 folder so they have access to the correct dll files.

Some have asked if they can create their own DLL plugins for the standard Zee, I will look into that and post back. But it might just be better to run the Linux ver of HS3, then you have access to the updater.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rich
                      Thanks so much for this information. This goes a long way with the users by having this level of communication. That said, I was also pleased that you mentioned the beaglebone. I had been considering it, but was unsure it would run hs3 and didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

We actually considered using the BeagleBone Black for the Zee, but it does not have audio and the price has been raised. You need to install the Debian port and then build MONO from source, so its not a trivial task, but once done HS3 runs fine on it.

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        Rich
                        Thanks so much for this information. This goes a long way with the users by having this level of communication. That said, I was also pleased that you mentioned the beaglebone. I had been considering it, but was unsure it would run hs3 and didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks about the comment of the beagleboard !
                          But doesn't it have 512 MB iso 1GB RAM ?

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                            Thanks about the comment of the beagleboard !
                            But doesn't it have 512 MB iso 1GB RAM ?
                            The Rev C board has 4g I believe and Debian is pre-loaded. $55 at adafruit, but out of stock right now.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Rev C has 4GB of storage and 512MB of RAM.

Comment

PI - BeagleBone HSTouch

Any chance of issuing and SD image for either the PI or the BeagleBone Black with HSTouch working. Have been trying to get one of them set up, no luck so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X