Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant get RPi3 Wifi to connect after initial load - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get RPi3 Wifi to connect after initial load - Solved!

Having just had a hardware failure on my RPi2 based HS3 Pro build I've decided to rebuild on a spare RPi3. As I used a usb wifi dongle on my previous build I'm looking to configure the native wifi interface on the RPi3.
    My intention was to use the new HS3-Pi download for the original build and then swap over the HomeSeer directory to my previous HS3 Pro structure.
    I was able to use the onboard wifi for the initial download but once the Pi booted into the OS, the wlan0 interface red with a 169.254.18.129 address instead of my normal 10.1.1.x range.
    From the command line, ifconfig shows both the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces. 'iwlist wlan0 scan' shows the available wifi networks.
    I've configured wpa_supplicant.conf with the SSID and Key but I can't get the wifi interface to pick up an address.
    Running up the native Xwindows interface (startx) shows that no wireless interface was found but also shows wlan0 having the default address.

Any ideas?

Dave

WHat does your /etc/network/interfaces look like? should be something like this:

Code:
    $ more /etc/network/interfaces
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
    # For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
    source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Comment

Argh, schoolboy error on my part. I'd mistyped the wpa-psk entry in wpa-supplicant.conf as it is a random string.
      I manually added wpa-ssid and wpa-psk entries in the interfaces file and it worked, only then did I realise what I'd done wrong.

Thanks for the assist.

Dave

Comment

Can someone shed light on what the root password is on the pi3 image of HS3? I asked while on the phone with homeseer support about this issue and they refused to provide it. I keep having to go into the settings, change the ssid/password to something bogus, restart while connected via hardwire, then re enter the correct ssid/password for it to connect to wifi. Even though the ssid appears correct in the UI, it eventually will not connect anymore to the wifi. I am thinking I need to follow your idea of manually entering the info into the appropriate config file...but it tells me I don't have rights to the file when logged in using the homeseer user account. I can't even view the syslog to see what errors it encounters when trying to connect wirelessly. <insert sigh and eyeroll here>

thanks.
        Martin

Comment

Typically for the Raspberry Pi there is no default password for root. It is encouraged to utilize sudo with pi for root access.

That said log in to your pi with username pi and password raspberry and then type sudo passwd root.

Thinking too

If root SSH doesn't work for root you will need to made an adjustment to:

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_conf

make these changes to the following lines:

# Authentication:
          LoginGraceTime 120
          PermitRootLogin yes
          # StrictModes yes

Typically on my builds change the pi password, create a couple of users...homeseer and me and give rights to the homeseer directory to said two users.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X