Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abandoned 3P Plugins... OpenSource them :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
    I've found a few, the two I'm personally interested in are Scene Master and BLDenon (and other Blade Plugins) I'm sure there are more, I'm just starting to explore plugins
    Blade is very active, but as he has stated he has some personal stuff that is preventing him being active the last month or so. He has a thread called "availability" in his main forum here. Blade actually puts in a ton of time to fix bug for people (not that he is alone in this).

As to scene master, I agree, but I tried it for a month and though I probably would have bought it, I opted not to for lack of a response by the dev. It sucks it was abandoned, but I'm not sure how many people used it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Frank

Comment

Blade puts a TON of energy into his plugins. The thing is he has about a million of them so it can take time for him to get around to the one you may be interested in. He has also expressed interest in opening the source for some plugins as it's a ton of work maintaining them. If you'd like to take one over that doesn't see as much attention as others I'd suggest you contact him. Also, as has been mentioned here already, he is in the midst of a family crisis.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I didn't know about the family thing. Completely understand

As I try to navigate Homeseer, it's difficult to figure out what plugins do... Documents are buried in the forum if they exist, the HS plugin manager and website plugin are both amateur hour providing no info on functionality, no screenshot, etc. Can't even search in the installer or easily install external plugins in the UI

I've been in technical product mgmt and strategies for years... I'm amazed that HST hasn't matured in the decade I've been away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Documents are buried in the forum if they exist, the HS plugin manager and website plugin are both amateur hour providing no info on functionality, no screenshot, etc. Can't even search in the installer or easily install external plugins in the UI

I've been in technical product mgmt and strategies for years... I'm amazed that HST hasn't matured in the decade I've been away.

Nobody can argue with any of that.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I agree with the sentiments of the OP. Many plugins relate to a specific piece of hardware. The decision to purchase the hardware is often swayed by the fact that there is a HS plugin availble. And many plugins operate the hardware via an API.

It's not uncommon for the API to change requiring an update of the plugin. All fine while the plugin is being supported. But if the plugin developer ghosts then the hardware effectivey becomes useless. So not just the cost of the plugin, but time and money dealing with unusable hardware.

In the commercial world most bespoke software contracts have source code clauses should the develooper go bust or die etc. I can't imagine it would be difficult for HS have a source code clause as part of being an 'agent' for the plugins. A kind of source code escrow.

Source code escrow: "Source code escrow is the deposit of the source code of software with a third party escrow agent. Escrow is typically requested by a party licensing software (the licensee), to ensure maintenance of the software instead of abandonment or orphaning. The software source code is released to the licensee if the licensor files for bankruptcy or otherwise fails to maintain and update the software as promised in the software license agreement."

I do think it is irresponsible to be selling, and profiting from, unsupported plugins. Either supply the source code as part of the purchase, clearly stating it is unsupported, or stop selling the unsupported plugin.
            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

I created a plugin that I knew I was not going to have time to maintain so I open sourced it on sourceforge. I don't know how many people use it or if anyone modified it but I thought if I couldn't keep it up let others have at it. But I came no where close to putting the time into it that many others have put in theirs so I can't judge a plugin author for not open sourcing something the can't maintain. I certainly have no problem with anyone making money off their hard work either.

I do wish Homeseer would put as much effort into providing a plugin development framework as they have into things like HSTouch etc. If they made it easy to create plugins it would pay off in spades -- e.g. I spent most of the effort creating my plugin puzzling out the Homeseer interfaces than actually coding it to talk with the hardware, that was the easy part.

Comment

Comment

Michael, I was an avid user and a 'light' code contributor back in the 1.x days and remember you well, and respect your contributions.

I disagree with you on one point... making abandoned plugins/code open source would take little to no effort on HSTs part and should be done, without question, for the betterment of the community.

This will become more relevant in near-future (~2 years) as Homeseer will become increasingly niche and user base will decline... its likely to become the HA software equivalent of X10 Hardware.

As it stands today, Homeseer will not be a compelling software and compete with entire platforms/echosystems like: OpenHAB, Home Assistant, Smartthings, Google Home & Amazon Alexa, Wink, or whatever comes next will take over the entire market (soccer moms to DIY power-users).

HST needs to think very hard and make much smarter decisions than they did in the past... they need to figure out quickly:
                  1. How to exit gracefully in 3-5 years
                  or
                  2. How they will make it compelling for current users to stay and for new users to join.

I suspect the HST team doesnt ready these threads, and it unfortunate... it could be that by the time they realize they are obsolete, it will be too late.

Comment

I suspect the HST team doesnt read these threads, and it unfortunate... it could be that by the time they realize they are obsolete, it will be too late.
                    Yeah, remember what happen to Nokia?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-12.png
Views:	8
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1258861

Comment

Working...
                    X