Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev Info/Opinions/Tips

Hey all,

I'm thinking of trying to do some plugins and some scripting. I have a background in Unix and Linux with shell, perl, python etc and I have done java and lua but never C# or VB or VB.script generally no Windows stuff

What should I focus on learning first? C# or VB? I started messing with C# yesterday, reminds me a lot of Java. But I see a lot of things being referenced as VB or VB.script and some in C#... what's the direction? And what's best for cross-platform? I've seen the posts that CS scripts have problems on linux so that's not good, but what about compiled code with Mono?

Just looking for tips/advice for someone starting REALLY fresh on HS3 development.

HS was originally developed in VB6 and redeveloped in VB.Net. the far majority use VB.Net on this board. From a plugin perspective very little difference between Windows and Linux.

In some cases there is IS level interaction but the plugin SDK and Scripting Help on the HS3 developers forum here are your best starting point.

Comment

I use c# for my plugins, but because that is what i use at work. There are some oddities in the C# plugins because I think HS is based on VB, but nothing i could get past.

I don't think there is a huge difference ffor the plugins, however, if you're talking about scripting in HS, I would us VB. I believe there have been some minor issues with scripting in c# in HS.
      Thanks,
      Frank

Comment

I would recommend VB.

If nothing else, the following two script development tools do not support C#

tenholde
        tenholde

Comment

Question in regards to VB.net.

What do people use for JSON parsing? serialize/deserialize and http connections? I was messing with C# and was using restSharp and Json.Net and that works well for the most part. I ran into a possible issue/bug with restSharp but I'll work through that.

I really know little to nothing about VB.net so time to start searching.

Comment

For HS plugin development, you'll need to download the plugin example, which is called their SDK. The learning curve is fairly steep.
            For regular scripting, tenholde's app is the best.
            HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
            64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
            UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
            Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              For HS plugin development, you'll need to download the plugin example, which is called their SDK. The learning curve is fairly steep.
              For regular scripting, tenholde's app is the best.
              I grabbed the HS3 sample plugins and looked through a bit. That is what got me wondering where I should focus, whether it be on C# or VB.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                Question in regards to VB.net.

What do people use for JSON parsing? serialize/deserialize and http connections? I was messing with C# and was using restSharp and Json.Net and that works well for the most part. I ran into a possible issue/bug with restSharp but I'll work through that.

I really know little to nothing about VB.net so time to start searching.
                Json.net is pretty much the standard anymore for working with json. As far as sending HTTP requests, .NET has a robust client "HttpClient". If you need any help getting that stuff going send me a message.

Regarding the choice between VB and C#, that is primarily one of taste for the different syntax. BUT one big argument for going with C# is that all the new docs put out by Microsoft will certainly be in the C# syntax. Then VB and F# docs are hopefully added later.

Comment

Working...
                X