Fire TV Plug-in??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire TV Plug-in??

I have a 2nd and 3rd Gen Amazon Fire TV (as well as a 2nd Gen stick) and would like to use HSTouch to control them. Since their native remote is Bluetooth, I was hoping perhaps an HS plugin could provide the 11 basic functions of the remote via LAN/ethernet. I currently control the Gen 1 via IR through the USB port with a Flirc IR receiver. But that solution has its days numbered since it appears Amazon is all in on Bluetooth and has eliminated the USB port on the Gen 3 version. I also have a Harmony (Elite) Hub and could investigate pairing my Fire TVs with my Hub and using one of the Harmony Plugins to control the Fire TV, but that requires working with Harmony’s software and who knows how long they will allow a plugin to access their Hub.

So, I was hoping someone with an Android/Fire TV development background could advise on the feasibility of a HS Plugin (and/or Fire TV App) replacing the main remote commands with a network interface of some kind that could be accessed via HS Scripting (and thus HSTouch). I have seen where something similar can be done using the Android developer debug interface (ADB):

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-conne...stick-via-adb/
    https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...to-device.html
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remot...stick-via-adb/

But that approach requires additional software on the client and opens the Fire TV to additional security exposure.

Any ideas or additional thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gary
    Last edited by Kbevo; April 14th, 2018, 05:13 PM.

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
    I have a 1st and 2nd Gen Amazon Fire TV (as well as a stick) and would like to use HSTouch to control them. Since their native remote is Bluetooth, I was hoping perhaps an HS plugin could provide the 11 basic functions of the remote via LAN/ethernet. I currently control the Gen 1 via IR through the USB port with a Flirc IR receiver. But that solution has its days numbered since it appears Amazon is all in on Bluetooth and has eliminated the USB port on the Gen 2 version. I also have a Harmony (Elite) Hub and could investigate pairing my Fire TVs with my Hub and using one of the Harmony Pluginshttp://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-conne...stick-via-adb/
    https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...to-device.html
    http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remot...stick-via-adb/

But that approach requires additional software on the client and opens the Fire TV to additional security exposure.

Any ideas or additional thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gary
    Any sort of plugin is going to require you to turn on ADB debugging on the FireTV. I've used ADB over the network from the commandline via HS events, The eventghost plugin (also using ADB) and MQTT between HS and HASS (which also requires turning on ADB debugging).

I finally ended up using my Harmony, Curl (to send ADB commands) and occasionally my Echo for voice control.

Comment

Thanks much for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
      Any sort of plugin is going to require you to turn on ADB debugging on the FireTV.
      Ouch! Yeah, I probably won't go that route then.

... and occasionally my Echo for voice control.
      You make an interesting point. I have to wonder how the Echo does it without ADB being turned on? Bluetooth, maybe? Perhaps Amazon hasn't opened up all it's tricks to developers?

Thanks again,
      Gary

Comment

You make an interesting point. I have to wonder how the Echo does it without ADB being turned on? Bluetooth, maybe? Perhaps Amazon hasn't opened up all it's tricks to developers?
        That's my assumption. Since they are both part of the same echosystem (pun not intended) they probably open some other stuff up.

Comment

There is an IOS app. If it's not using ADB there is another way to do this

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
            Isn't it like the Android app, and the Echo itself, made by Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
              Do you know the name or identifying key words?

There appears to be at least a couple Fire TV apps that can be sideloaded, but from what I can gather, they require the Fire Tv to be rooted. I assume that means ADB. But I am still (re)searching, though.

Isn't it like the Android app, and the Echo itself, made by Amazon?
              Yes, rmiles, I know Amazon has the "Amazon Fire TV Remote" in the Apple store and I have a version of it on my Fire HD8 tablet. There is however, at least one non-Amazon app in the Apple store ("Remote for Fire TV") that does not seem to use root/ADB. It does have a client component (on IOS) and a server that runs on the Fire TV, which is what I envisioned for a HSTouch to Fire TV setup. I have to believe this is doable.

Gary

Comment

...at least one non-Amazon app in the Apple store ("Remote for Fire TV") that does not seem to use root/ADB. It does have a client component (on IOS) and a server that runs on the Fire TV, which is what I envisioned for a HSTouch to Fire TV setup. I have to believe this is doable.
                I stand corrected. The server component for "Remote for Fire TV" requires ADB. Further, without Amazon providing insight, it may not be doable without ADB.

Gary

Comment

Given up

After some research I have given up on Fire TV control via LAN (without root/ADB). If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know, as I am still interested in going that direction.

However, it wasn't all for nought. I did run across an IR solution for the Fire TV gen 3, that should be good for now. It requires two additional components, plus an optional 3rd.

1. USB Hub (with Ethernet Adapter)
                  2. Micro USB Host OTG Cable
                  3. Power Supply (for USB Hub, optional)

I ordered, and all work fine with my Gen 3 FTV. I already had an unused FLIRC USB Receiver for the IR. Plus, I now have two additional USB (2.0) ports for a USB KB & Mouse, if desired. I converted the FTV keyboard commands into IR that the FLIRC understands, added them to UltraGCIR3 command set and now I have HSTouch IR control of my FTV 3. It will do until something better comes along.

Thanks
                  Gary

Comment

This may be a good idea:
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-notifications

Comment

Working...
                    X