Node-RED Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Node-RED Plugin

Is there any interest in a Node-RED Server plugin?

I know a lot of us are running node-red on a raspberry pi or other external box. I was thinking of a plugin for Windows and maybe Linux that would perform the install of node-red server alongside of HS3.

Today using two Node-Red RPi's here doing 1-wire Mosquitto messages to the mcsMQTT plugin.

Here is one of two RPi's. The attic RPi Node Red also connects to a 1-wire dual counter for lightning strike detection and it is working well these days.

I keep adding more 1-wire sensors such that this picture is about 50% of what is connected.

[ATTACH]69693[/ATTACH]

I did turn one Node-Red to a Mosquitto broker a couple of weeks back. Before that it was running an autonomous mosquitto broker and Node Red.

Bit by bit here also adding SonOff - Tasmotta devices to the mix.

Pushing one $5 basic SonOff WiFi module here doing a temperature sensor, PIR sensor, 2 NC sensors plus a button trigger.

[ATTACH]69694[/ATTACH]

One user of the mcsMQTT plugin turned his Windows HSPro box in to a Mosquitto broker a couple of weeks back.

Another user is using Node Red for graphs et al.

I have seen now for other than Homeseer open source automation programs that there is now Node Red integration.

There are two Mosquitto HS3 plugins but no Node Red HS3 plugins.

So would you plugin be a manager of sorts for Node Red? What functionality would it provide via Homeseer and integration of Node Red?
    Last edited by Pete; July 3rd, 2018, 10:37 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.20
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Today using two Node-Red RPi's here doing 1-wire Mosquitto messages to the mcsMQTT plugin.

Here is one of two RPi's. The attic RPi Node Red also connects to a 1-wire dual counter for lightning strike detection and it is working well these days.

I keep adding more 1-wire sensors such that this picture is about 50% of what is connected.

[ATTACH]69693[/ATTACH]

I did turn one Node-Red to a Mosquitto broker a couple of weeks back. Before that it was running an autonomous mosquitto broker and Node Red.

One user of the mcsMQTT plugin turned his Windows HSPro box in to a Mosquitto broker a couple of weeks back.

I have seen now for other than Homeseer open source automation programs that there is now Node Red integration.

So would you plugin be a manager of sorts for Node Red? What functionality would it provide via Homeseer and integration of Node Red?
      Hey Pete,

Yeah I know lots of us are using Node-RED but I also from other communities there's a hesitation in sorts of setting up Node.Js and things especially from the Windows stand point.

For starters this a idea I had based on a proof of concept to have a plugin install Node.Js for another plugin I'm thinking of. Node-RED was just an obvious testing ground.

What I have currently is Windows only and it does the following

1. Installs Node.Js
      2. Installs PM2
      2. Installs Node-rED
      3. Creates a device to monitor and stop/start Node-RED Server

PM2 (Process Manager 2) is used to cleanly stop/start/monitor the Node-RED node.js server. PM2 can also perform active monitoring (restart on failure) and restart Node-RED on configuration changes. I thought it would just be a nice to have add on

Otherwise the current purpose of the PI is to make a Node-Red Install very easy on a Windows platform.

Comment

Yes a monitoring and stop and start utilitity would be nice but really here always make changes and update and stop and start right on the Node Red GUI.

For Windows users this would be nice have for Homeseer. I have seen issues here relating to this stuff as it is not plug n play for a Windows user.

The two Node Red configurations have never stopped working here. (all Linux here with Windows Virtual boxes doing Homeseer Windows things).

The attic RPi2 / Stretch Node Red is doing a bit of multitasking....running:
        • ZWave via serial to ethernet connection
        • NOAA satellite capture via a SDR stick
        • OWFS
        • Node Red / OWFS / MQTT (and broker)
        • Open Source automation program Domoticz from the EU

All of the above (except for one GPIO ZWave card) goes to two Homeseer 3 boxes running in Linux.

Thinking now there is OpenHab, Domoticz, Home Assistant, Home Genie and more using incorporated Node Red stuff.
        Last edited by Pete; July 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.20
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 5.20

Comment

Yes a monitoring and stop and start utilitity would be nice but really here always make changes and update and stop and start right on the Node Red GUI.

For Windows users this would be nice have for Homeseer.

The two Node Red configurations have never stopped working here. (all Linux here with Windows Virtual boxes doing Homeseer Windows things).

• OWFS
          • Open Source automation program from the EU
          Yup, as long as the server is up then doing the deploy from the web page is easy. This is more of a "beginner" friendly Node-RED install. I did it as Windows only so far because if you have rPi's and comfortable with Linux the setup is trivial.

Comment

For Windows users this would be nice have for Homeseer. I have seen issues here relating to this stuff as it is not plug n play for a Windows user.

• OWFS
            • Open Source automation program Domoticz from the EU

All of the above (except for one GPIO ZWave card) goes to two Homeseer 3 boxes running in Linux.

Thinking now there is OpenHab, Domoticz, Home Assistant, Home Genie and more using incorporated Node Red stuff.
            Pete,

Now you have me curious and I like to get other peoples inputs. Here's a list of the Admin HTTP API end points. I think some of them may be useful with integration to HS3

https://nodered.org/docs/api/admin/methods/

What's your take on them?

This PI idea could evolve to a Node-RED management or at least flow monitor of sorts.

Comment

Pete,

This is also curious to me. I know of the 2 MQTT plugins that connect to a broker. But I don't know of a Broker plugin. Is there one? I think that's also a point that is lacking for HS3 if not.

And yes... I'm somewhat bored and somewhat addicted to writing plugins I like to write useful utilities for myself and for others and coming from the other automation systems writing plugins for HS is a nice change.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                Pete,

This is also curious to me. I know of the 2 MQTT plugins that connect to a broker. But I don't know of a Broker plugin. Is there one? I think that's also a point that is lacking for HS3 if not.

And yes... I'm somewhat bored and somewhat addicted to writing plugins I like to write useful utilities for myself and for others and coming from the other automation systems writing plugins for HS is a nice change.

not to steal this thread...but if you are bored you could write a modbus plugin that works like it is suppose to....

Comment

But I don't know of a Broker plugin. Is there one?

no.

Originally thought that mcsMQTT was running a Mosquitto Broker. My testing was working but not as expected because I was running a broker on one of the RPi's. This turned in to an issue with a Windows user of the plugin. After the installation of a Mosquitto broker on his Windows HS3 Pro computer then all was well.

The Googled Mosquitto Broker instructions though were sort of converted Linux speak to Windows speak which did not really make the installation plug n play.

This issue would be very common with Windows only users of Homeseer 3 such that a node red plugin or a mosquitto broker plugin would be a nice to have.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

[ATTACH]69693[/ATTACH]

Pushing one $5 basic SonOff WiFi module here doing a temperature sensor, PIR sensor, 2 NC sensors plus a button trigger.

[ATTACH]69694[/ATTACH]

Another user is using Node Red for graphs et al.

Originally posted by wadesready View Post
                    not to steal this thread...but if you are bored you could write a modbus plugin that works like it is suppose to....
                    I don't have any Modbus equipment to even start working with.

Comment

But I don't know of a Broker plugin. Is there one?

no.

Originally thought that mcsMQTT was running a Mosquitto Broker. My testing was working but not as expected because I was running a broker on one of the RPi's. This turned in to an issue with a Windows user of the plugin. After the installation of a Mosquitto broker on his Windows HS3 Pro computer then all was well.

The Googled Mosquitto Broker instructions though were sort of converted Linux speak to Windows speak which did not really make the installation plug n play.

This issue would be very common with Windows only users of Homeseer 3 such that a node red plugin or a mosquitto broker plugin would be a nice to have.
                      For brokers I like mosquitto for light weight but it really is a dev broker for more "production" I prefer RabbitMQ.

Ok so on my list....

Node-RED Windows Server and MQTT Windows Broker.

A lot of this stuff on Linux is easy but I know it's not always straightforward on Windows and as you said a lot of it is linux speak translated to Windows and it really doesn't translate well.

Comment

Ok so on my list....

Node-RED Windows Server and MQTT Windows Broker.

You can run a Mosquitto broker (Mosca) in Node Red. This is what I did with my RPi2 Node Red in the basement.

You plugin would be competing with the rest of the HS3 plugins and you would want to make it as lite as possible.

node-red-contrib-mqtt-broker

It was running a Mosquitto Broker autonomously from Node Red. I didn't know that there was a Node Red Mosquitto Broker available.

[ATTACH]69695[/ATTACH]

BTW trying to break this Node Red / OWFS box as I keep adding more and more 1-wire sensors to it.

Tinkering here with micro openWRT routers and thinking of using Mosca (very light) on the devices I have on line.

Well too you can also integrate the graphing utilities for Node Red which would be a nice to have thing.

[ATTACH]69696[/ATTACH]

I have purchased tinkering microrouters with GPIO port pins just to tinker with. IE: also added an RTC clock to one bit banging some for my Alarm Panel micro router which also serves as a alternative mechanism to get to the alarm (GSM). Once finished then I could monitor all sorts of stuff on the micro router inside of my panel can.
                        Last edited by Pete; July 3rd, 2018, 12:35 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

[I]Ok so on my list....

You plugin would be competing with the rest of the HS3 plugins and you would want to make it as lite as possible.
                          I don't want to be competing. But as you said there are no other Node-RED or MQTT broker plugins so there's nothing to compete with. Although Node-RED can tie into basically anything I don't see that as competition as it's not as easy to use as a purpose made plugin. I was using Node-RED for my tp-link switches but now I'm using the beta tplink plugin from jasv.

Although yes you can run a MQTT broker inside Node-RED I'm not thinking that way as it's another piece to have to ultimately support if it's part of the same plugin.

To me keeping them as separate is best not only from support but also from function. Why run both if you only want one? Course others may see that differently as well.

Comment

Hi,
                            I don't think Pete is necessarily talking about competing for interest/attention/users when he says "You would be competing with the rest of the HS3 plugins".
                            I for one don't have enough "plugin spaces" as I run on the ztroller - ie a RPI with the zwave board, and the software only allows 5 plugins. I will try to run a script, like Jon000's over a plugin if I can.
                            I am using the mcsMQTT plugin and I am taxing the processor on the ztroller. I have an RPI interfacing with my legacy alarm panel and the RaspberryIO plugin, which runs remotely, so I don't think it adds a lot of overhead. I also have another RPI in the HVAC closet, giving me 1 wire information about the temperatures there, via MQTT. It runs the mosquitto broker, so again not adding to the overhead for the ztroller processor. I am intrigued by and considering running the HS3 zwave plugin remotely to take off some of the processor overhead as well, and also see if I can utilize another plugin in that space, but again the processor overhead comes into play. I use the graphing portion of mscMQTT, but it also takes alot of overhead, so considering learning and using nodered for graphing to present to my wall mounted tablets. I would have it run on one of the other RPIs, so a plugin would not be that helpful to me.
                            I am trying to run things on a low budget, so not replacing my ztroller is important, and the other RPIs are cheap, as well as low energy usage.

Just my 2 cents.
                            Bruce

Comment

Yes here my reference to competing with other plugins is only referring to utilization.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X