Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Series - How to Write Your Own HS 3 Plugin - For Beginners - Step By Step!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Series - How to Write Your Own HS 3 Plugin - For Beginners - Step By Step!

Video Series - How to Write Your Own HS 3 Plugin - For Beginners - Step By Step! - Video #1

If you have written some simple HomeSeer 3 (HS3) scripts but wanted to write your own plugin for HS3 then I know how you feel! I was daunted by the complexity of not only the HS3 Plugin SDK but even the samples were very complex for me to completely understand.

I found through the HomeSeer forums a GitHub project called HSPI that starts you off with a simple template and even lets you set it all up directly from Visual Studio (created by Alex Dresko)! Once I figured out how to get that working, the rest began to fall into place! My hopes are that these video help reduce much of the frustration I felt in getting started.
    I HIGHLY recommend you go visit the HSPI site created by Alex Dresko and the Gitter chat room to talk about HomeSeer Plugins live!
    And here is Video #1 in the Series:

Steps From The Video:
    1. Step 1 - Download and Install Visual Studio 2017 (Choose Options) - https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/
    2. Step 2 - Download and Install .Net 4.7.2 Developer Pack - https://www.microsoft.com/net/downlo...al-studio-sdks
    3. Step 3 - Run PowerShell as Administrator and execute command ("Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted" and choose "A" for All)
    4. Step 4 - Run Visual Studio 2017
    5. Step 5 - In Visual Studio 2017 go to Tools --> Options --> Projects and Solutions --> (Check) Save new projects when created (it is not checked by default)
    6. Step 6 - In Visual Studio 2017 go to Tools --> Extensions and Updates --> Select "Online" --> In Search Box type "HomeSeer" --> Install HomeSeer Templates --> Exit and Restart Visual Studio 2017
    7. Step 7 - In Visual Studio 2017 go to File --> New Project --> Visual C# --> HomeSeer --> Choose Plugin A or B and give it a name --> Choose Framework (.Net Framework 4.7.2) in the drop-down --> Click OK
    8. Step 8 - In Visual Studio 2017 hit F5 or the Green Arrow (Start) and now your new Plugin Template should run!

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or how I can make this better.
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Video Series - How to Write Your Own HomeSeer 3 Plugin - For Beginners - Video 2

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or how I can make this better.
    Jean-Marie Vaneskahian
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Working...
    X