Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Plugin to support EtherNet/IP communication to Allen-Bradley PLCs (possibly others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugin to support EtherNet/IP communication to Allen-Bradley PLCs (possibly others)

This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but didn't have the right footing nor time to get it done.
    I do industrial control systems for a living and have a CompactLogix PLC in my home controlling all my HVAC functions as well as a few other minor things.
    Currently, I am using HomeSeer's built-in JSON to get/put data back and forth to the PLC through a custom .NET app I have running. It works well, but it's an unnecessary step in data transmission, in my opinion.

Archie, the creator of AdvancedHMI, has been kind enough to keep everything open source so long as the source code is distributed with the project. That being said, I have finally successfully integrated the EtherNet/IP drivers into a plugin for HS3, and have data being passed directly from HS3 to my PLC and vice versa, on my test plugin. Would anyone else here find this useful? If so, I'll share the basic framework and you can build from it. This would be free, and I don't think I would even put it in the plugin store because I won't be supporting it nor providing updates. Essentially, I'd provide the basic concept and you can do what you like with it. For me, this is huge because it allows seamless integration of two automation control systems that I rely on.

I'd be interested in seeing this. Been looking at adding some PLCs to the mix.

Thanks
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Perhaps this would be an excellent opportunity to have an opensource plugin. There are many legacy plugins, it would be interesting to see if any traction could be made in the open source plugin arena if there were a few open source plugins. Maybe HomeSeer would open source some of their legacy plugins.

Comment

I merely started with the HSPI samples from Alex. Big kudos to him!

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          Perhaps this would be an excellent opportunity to have an opensource plugin. There are many legacy plugins, it would be interesting to see if any traction could be made in the open source plugin arena if there were a few open source plugins. Maybe HomeSeer would open source some of their legacy plugins.
          In the HS3 updater, you'll find a simple free plugin called "Device Compare". The source is available elsewhere if you google the name; I think it's on SourceForge. The plugin in the updater didn't work quite as I liked, so after locating and downloading the source, I modified it to suit my needs, compiled it and tested under HS3 successfully. It was a good exercise in understanding plugins.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by phuz View Post
            I merely started with the HSPI samples from Alex. Big kudos to him!
            Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            In the HS3 updater, you'll find a simple free plugin called "Device Compare". The source is available elsewhere if you google the name; I think it's on SourceForge. The plugin in the updater didn't work quite as I liked, so after locating and downloading the source, I modified it to suit my needs, compiled it and tested under HS3 successfully. It was a good exercise in understanding plugins.
            I agree a framework for plugin development and a sample plugin are a great start, however that is a far cry from having opensource plugin development.

An example of open source development would be HomeSeer releasing the source code for the ADIO100 or for HSPhone or Apple releasing portions of the HomeKit Accessory Development Kit (ADK) or even Microsofy releasing Mono.

Comment

Before this gets too far, this topic is not about open source plugin development or anything along those lines. It's about a very specific interface that will only interest a handful of people, if that. Not many people have PLCs in their homes.

Comment

I'm intereseted. Got a CompactLogix monitoring my HVAC temps!

Comment

Here's the basic layout. Pretty simple. I need to add another table column for communication direction (HS3 -> PLC or PLC -> HS3).
                  If you're wondering why I included the Ref. ID of the device in the dropdown, it is because I am extracting that and storing it so that I have an ID to reference when getting the value, and I haven't been able to figure out how to store it in the combobox properties like a normal .NET combobox "value".
                  Code:
                  hs.DeviceValueEx(Settings.DeviceID(i))
                  Again, this is going to be a constant WIP, but this is all just proof of concept right now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	1349147
                  Attached Files

Comment

I also do industrial control systems too. For a living and have a Baumer system PLC in my home controlling all my HVAC functions as well as a few other minor things that I buy trought Elta trade catalog https://eltra-trade.com/catalog/baumer

Comment

Originally posted by phuz View Post
                      This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but didn't have the right footing nor time to get it done.
                      I do industrial control systems for a living and have a CompactLogix PLC in my home controlling all my HVAC functions as well as a few other minor things.
                      Currently, I am using HomeSeer's built-in JSON to get/put data back and forth to the PLC through a custom .NET app I have running. It works well, but it's an unnecessary step in data transmission, in my opinion.

Archie, the creator of AdvancedHMI, has been kind enough to keep everything open source so long as the source code is distributed with the project. That being said, I have finally successfully integrated the EtherNet/IP drivers into a plugin for HS3, and have data being passed directly from HS3 to my PLC and vice versa, on my test plugin. Would anyone else here find this useful? If so, I'll share the basic framework and you can build from it. This would be free, and I don't think I would even put it in the plugin store because I won't be supporting it nor providing updates. Essentially, I'd provide the basic concept and you can do what you like with it. For me, this is huge because it allows seamless integration of two automation control systems that I rely on.
                      I do deal with AB PLC's (as well as others) a lot and would be interested in this. Get me started!

Comment

Working...
                      X