Multi Instance and Config Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Instance and Config Pages

I'm writing a plug-in which runs as Instance = "" It then launches child instances ("1" through whatever).

I'm trying to represent web_config pages for each main/child instances.

Code:
    If Instance = "" Then
                RegisterWebPage(sConfigPage, "Configure Plug-In", IFACE_NAME & " Configure Plug-In", True)
            Else
                RegisterWebPage(sConfigPage, "Instance ", IFACE_NAME & " Configure Instance ")
            End If
    The links register nicely under the plug-in. The "Configure Plug-In" page for the main plug-in works fine.

However, I can't get the child pages to work. I notice they call the same link as the parent but with "?instance=n" (n being the instance number) addewd to the URL.

GetPagePlugin does not appear to get called for the child instances.

The other strange thing that happens is that when I shut down the main and child instances the "Configure Plug-In" is removed, but the "Configure Instance" links remains and I have to restart HomeSeer to get rid of them.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?
    Nicolai L

RegisterWebPage is a function from the Sample Plugin. Look in there to see what's going on, and customize to your needs.

For your second issue (not removing the link from the menu) I think that is a bug. There is a bugzilla ticket here: http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1075
    stefxx

Comment

I've been through the RegisterWebPage function a number of times now. I fixed the bit that appeared broken around using Instance, but I still can't get it to work.

Probably something very simple, but I'm stumped. Do you have a it working? Do you have any more tips or a snippet you can share?
      Nicolai L

Comment

I depends on what is in your RegisterWebPage function. There are different versions of the sample plugins that also changed over time.

Also, do I understand correctly that you spawn the instances from the main instance? I am not sure if that is supported, how should Homeseer be aware of those instances?
        stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
          I depends on what is in your RegisterWebPage function. There are different versions of the sample plugins that also changed over time.?
          Hmm, perhaps I need to take a look at the version of the SDK I'm using. Sounds like it might be outdated!

Yes, I do spawn, by using hs.launch with the instance= parameter, it works fine for everything else I'm doing although I've had to write code to make sure the parent kept track of the children and vice versa.
          Nicolai L

Comment

Just because I didn't know it is possible doesn't make it unsupported :-)

The version of RegisterWebPage I use is declared like this:

Public Sub RegisterWebPage(ByVal link As String, Optional linktext As String = "", Optional page_title As String = "", Optional Instance As String = "")

I noticed you call RegisterWebPage with True (Boolean) as fourth parameter...?
            stefxx

Comment

So, I've checked and I'm definitely on an older version of the SDK. I'm busy migrating this particular PI across to the new SDK now. I see all these new wonderful "new" Instance management calls which will be helpful.

Yeah, my fourth parameter was one I added to allow me to ensure the Config link registered with the plug-in name on the Manage plug-in page.
              Nicolai L

Comment

OK, so I've gone to the newer SDK now.

One question though: as part of starting the parent instance I want to start up the children as well. Obviously the AddInstance function can take care of this, but I'm not sure where/how best to call this.

If I call it from the InitIO function it would appear to be called before the main instance is fully initialised and as such causes the whole PI to hang (and requires a restart of HS to get it to sort itself out).

Where/How do you automatically initiate additional instances?
                Nicolai L

Comment

Working...
                X