Amazon Alexa app for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Alexa app for HS3

Amazon has changed the name of the Amazon Echo iPad app to "Alexa". So this is a good opportunity to start a new thread.

What is the status of the official HS3 plugin from Homeseer for Alexa ("Amazon Echo")?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

There is a official HS3 plugin from Homeseer for Alexa ("Amazon Echo") being developed. This is the first I have heard of it. I would love to see something like this added to Homeseer.

Comment

I can speak officially about the HS3 skill, but the Amazon approval process is moving at a pace that make "glacial" seem fast. Others are reporting 45+ days without a single word from Amazon.

If you are eager to use your Echo (or any Amazon Voice Service capable device including homeseer with Spud's plug-in) I have an unofficial script plug in. There are few few hoops to jump through to install it but it works pretty well. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from the people using it so far. You can find it here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176481, and the discussion thread on it here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176507

Comment

Our app has been submitted. Waiting for Amazon to reply...
        website | products | support | youtube

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
          What will the app allow as far as Echo/Homeseer control?

Comment

Originally posted by mtroxell1 View Post
            What will the app allow as far as Echo/Homeseer control?
            You'll be able to control devices and launch events with the Echo.

Comment

im excited

I'm very excited for this plugin. First echo device comes on Thursday.

EDIT: Its here, any timeline or guestimate ETA from HS/Mark on the HS sanctioned plugin? Ill send you a pumpkin pie (do you take bribes?)

-Toby
              Last edited by kuntakintay; October 16th, 2015, 10:33 PM. Reason: update
              HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

Comment

any update?

Any update for when this will be available?
                HS 3.0.0.199 Pro/Insteon 3.0.5.20/3 Venstar Insteon Therms / Insteon Thermostat 3.0.2.2 / DirecTV 3.0.0.14 / OpenSprinkler 2.0.5.21 / ITunes DAAP 3.0.0.23/ UltraM1G3 3.0.5437.37424/ UltraWeatherbug3 /HSTouch Svr 3.0.0.68/Zwave 3.0.1.25/Ultramon3/Global Cache 5.0.0.17/Various BLXXX Plugins.

Comment

I am also waiting patiently. Any idea when?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Still working through the approval process. We'll come back and post to this thread when it's ready.

Comment

Still working through the approval process. We'll come back and post to this thread when it's ready.
                      Mark, will you be able to use the echo as a speaker client in some way? That would be fantastic to somehow announce things over the echo.

Comment

There's no way to "push" anything to the Echo, however the Echo also acts as a bluetooth speaker. So assuming it's in bluetooth range to your HS machine or another machine running a speaker client you can just pair it.

Comment

With Amazon Alexa's new "trigger" ability with IFTTT, I've started doing some hs3 event integrations. I've also tied one of my old iPhones that I've been using as an hsTouch client to Alexa via BlueTooth. So, now I can say "Alexa trigger how's the hot tub". Alexa catches that and sends it to IFTTT where I have an HS3 channel and launches a manual event in HS3 that simply speaks the Hot tub cabinet temperature (to the iPhone, through Bluetooth to Alexa). So, after my recognized speech, I hear Alexa say "sending to ifttt..." Then in the crappy Linux speech, it says "The Hot Tub is ok, with a cabinet temperature of 79.6".

Would LOVE better speech. Getting Alexa to speak my HomeSeer stuff would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                            There's no way to "push" anything to the Echo, however the Echo also acts as a bluetooth speaker. So assuming it's in bluetooth range to your HS machine or another machine running a speaker client you can just pair it.
                            Really, how does your plugin get Alexa say "say a command," "done," etc. Many of the other skills are also interactive like the knock knock joke skill. So I guess I was thinking if you could send text messages somehow to Alexa she can use her TTS capabilities to read the text.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                              Really, how does your plugin get Alexa say "say a command," "done," etc. Many of the other skills are also interactive like the knock knock joke skill. So I guess I was thinking if you could send text messages somehow to Alexa she can use her TTS capabilities to read the text.
                              Those are in response to a request. What I mean by not being able to push to the Echo is that you can't send something to the Echo without a spoken request from the user first.

Being able to push speech out to the Echo without first having to ask it something is an often requested feature so it is possible such features may be available in the future. Unfortunately other than the occasional "we've passed this idea on to the team" type of response to feature requests Amazon has not put out much information on what it does plan to implement in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X