Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web based configuration page generator

Team,

For a while it has been bugging me that there's no easy way to give every script a web-based configuration page (instead of editing INI files)

So the idea was born to make it easy to 'define the INI configuration file' which would generate a web-based config page:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jon00-INI-generator-idea2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1208287

PDF with description + some examples:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u18qovgqs2...-idea.pdf?dl=0
    If you can't access this PDF, please download it here: http://www.domoticaworld.com/project...page-creation/

I don't have the time or skills to make this work, maybe you have?
    What are your thoughts?

DJ
    Last edited by DJF3; September 21st, 2015, 09:01 AM.

There is no way to know what sort of data type a particular INI key needs to then in turn create a text box, check box, date/time picker etc, as such I think it would be too difficult unless you somehow coded to know what to expect which in turn would be just as much effort to edit it by hand.

Edit: Perhaps I should actually read your post (download won't work for me), I think I understand that is exactly what you are saying to do - but I still wonder that it would be more effort to create the config ini files to start with (you would need a default value, data type, where to save it to as just a start) against just editing the file by hand. There are more data storage facilities now in HomeSeer than there have ever been (PluginExtraData, Device Type Strings, Addresses) and most plugins may now no longer need INI files.
    My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
    Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Edit: Perhaps I should actually read your post (download won't work for me), I think I understand that is exactly what you are saying to do - but I still wonder that it would be more effort to create the config ini files to start with (you would need a default value, data type, where to save it to as just a start) against just editing the file by hand. There are more data storage facilities now in HomeSeer than there have ever been (PluginExtraData, Device Type Strings, Addresses) and most plugins may now no longer need INI files.
      Added an extra link where you can download the PDF. Think the examples in this PDF will clarify things..
      - Developer creates xxx-CONFIG.ini once (not very hard)
      - When a user runs the script with this xxx-CONFIG.ini as a parameter it will generate a configuration page and saves the result in xxx.ini (without '-CONFIG')

Cheers
      DJ

Comment

I've read the attachment now and can see that is what I was saying. I hope I don't come across as just being difficult but the vast majority of plugins have web based config pages to do this already, as said above most plugins now really do not use INI files as much as HS2 did. I used to use them extensively but I have written a couple of plugins that avoid using them entirely. I think really you are catering for a minority and of that minority (I'm thinking mainly Jon00 here but there might be a couple of others) already give their valuable time for nothing so to expect them to put what could be considerable effort into creating a config INI file with much more data in might be a bit much. There is also the web page to maintain and write when really editing an INI file should not be above the ability levels of someone who is already using HomeSeer as after all it is a technical application.
        My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
        Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

Working...
        X