Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Hardware and Plugin in testing. Not sure in which forum to post...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hardware and Plugin in testing. Not sure in which forum to post...

Hi everyone!
    I'm currently working on a new plugin for HS3 along with a hardware module, so I'm not 100% sure where I would best post this because it's I/O hardware AND plugin related. I'd like to gauge interest to see if it's worth officially releasing the plugin (free) through HS3 updater and offering the interface for sale. It's also a neat showcase (I hope) what you can do with Homeseer, especially combined with HSTouch.

The I/O module was actually originally developed for automotive purposes by my company, so it was obvious that I would look at my existing hardware when I was confronted with a problem in my house that I just couldn't find a proper solution on the market for. The module is very small, has 8 universally programmable I/O ports, 2 CAN bus ports and a built-in USB port.
    Each of the inputs can be programmed to be:

1) A digital input with built-in pull-up resistor. Pull to ground to activate.

2) A digital input with built-in pull-down. Pull to 12V (anywhere above 4V) to activate.

3) An A/D analog input with a reported value to HS3 of 0...255

4) A multilevel input (also known as zone doubling in alarm terms) where two digital inputs can be read by one input pin using two resistors across.

5) A diode multiplex dual zone where the one I/O pin can also read two input signals by using two diodes.

6) An output (open collector with pull up resistor) able to directly drive up to 1.5 Amps at 12V (lights, LEDs, Relays, Alarm siren or horn can all be driven directly without extra circuitry) or connect to any other electronic devices' (low active) inputs directly.

7) An output (push to 12V) with pull-down able to drive small loads of up to 100mA or connect to other devices' (high active) inputs directly.

The operating mode of each I/O port can be programmed with a USB software available for Windows and Mac. Each I/O can also be inverted, meaning in input mode the value reported to Homeseer is inverted and in output mode the active/inactive state is inverted, giving full flexibility to the user to adapt to whatever needs to be done. The plugin automatically creates the needed devices in HS3 with the corresponding controls or value displays and if changes are made later, the devices automatically adjust as soon as the plugin is started.

Up to 16 of these modules can be daisy-chained using the CAN-BUS ports. That is exactly what I did in order to get access to my 32 input and 3 output zones in the alarm panel. I connected 16 input zones to each module (all with zone doubling), another 16 inputs (with zone doubling) to a second module and then currently 3 outputs to a third module, with plans to extend the system further to integrate the doorbell and other goodies.

The breadboard is basically just a carrier and a nice way to solder on some headers and crimp connectors onto the alarm wires for a neat install. The zone doubling resistors are underneath. Also it provides power to the 3 modules, connects the CAN-BUS inputs/outputs together and has power headers for the 4 PIR sensors in the house which need 12V. Everything runs off a small 12V, 1.5Amp wall wart power supply just like the ones found on any wifi router. In the picture of the alarm cabinet the Homeseer PC is still sitting right there as a temp setup.

Here's the hardware:

In my particular case I had an old alarm panel in my house that didn't work any more and I wanted to integrate all the zones into HS3 to be displayed on my iPads around the house and to trigger events, chimes or other nice automation gimmicks off of the status. Here's the setup with HSTouch:

Demonstration of the integration of the alarm contacts. Chime when opening a door
    http://www.mods4cars.com/pub/homesee...58%20chime.mov

Here's the alarm panel:

And lastly, this is how my plugin integrates all the I/Os into HS3:

That's it for now. I haven't written any manuals yet as everything is still in testing and I'd love to hear feedback if this is worth taking further as in selling (through Homeseer's web shop maybe?) the hardware and offering the plugin in the HS3 updater.

Interesting use of hardware.
    Love your HSTouch display screen with all on one page. Looks useful and well thought out.

I have a dedicated security panel with Spuds Envisilink interface and would always prefer the dedicated panel.
    It may help your use case to put out a cost comparison between the two for those that don't yet have the alarm.
    Jim
    ----
    Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

Comment

I love that hstouch skin you obviously put a lot of time and dedication into it! Want to show the other screens and maybe share the project?

As far as the plugin and hardware goes very innovative! This definitely embodies the spirit of Homeseer and its infinite possibilities!

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
        Interesting use of hardware.
        Love your HSTouch display screen with all on one page. Looks useful and well thought out.

I have a dedicated security panel with Spuds Envisilink interface and would always prefer the dedicated panel.
        It may help your use case to put out a cost comparison between the two for those that don't yet have the alarm.
        I think that's a good point. Most people will probably already have a working alarm installed. In my case the alarm was there when I bought the house but things were botched left and right so that in the end the only solution that made sense was to rip it all out, fix the sensors one by one and then come up with a new solution. I'm planning on building my whole alarm from scratch. Not 100% sure yet if the logic will go into the hardware or the plugin or if I'll just do it with HS3/HSTouch itself. I also wanted the old school keypads off my walls and instead put iPads there, so if you would want to keep a "regular" alarm AND add an all-out HSTouch with tablets, you would have both on your walls.

Most modern alarm install include some sort of (limited!) home automation control and I like the idea of the total integration.

As far as cost comparison, how much did your panel cost, what can it do and what are the monthly fees? I don't have a price yet for my interface but I'm thinking less than the ADIO-100 in retail, probably between 100 and 125.

My idea is also that the possibilities are endless with the I/O interface. Sprinklers, Garage door control (with status input), in my case Security sensors, pool control, doorbell... whatever comes to mind

Comment

This is the panel I have:
          http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...nel-P1228.aspx
          And I needed 5 of these to expand the zones:
          http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...der-P1229.aspx
          And http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176
          Other than that, would need to buy the PIR and the contacts for either system.
          Jim
          ----
          Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
            This is the panel I have:
            http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...nel-P1228.aspx
            And I needed 5 of these to expand the zones:
            http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...der-P1229.aspx
            And http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176
            Other than that, would need to buy the PIR and the contacts for either system.
            Oh wow, you needed a lot of extenders. Are you sure these are the correct ones though? It says "addressable 2-wire zones" which implies that you would only need one and then all of the sensors are connected parallel on some sort of bus. In my case the house was pre-wired with regular contacts (which I would assume most people would be confronted with when dealing with HomeSeer).
            Because why would you even need Homeseer if the house is already wired as a "smart home" with some integrated system. I went Z-Wave for all the switches and dimmers and why put Z-Wave sensors on all the windows and doors when there's already stuff there

I guess from a pure price point perspective it's probably a wash between your setup (DSC panel) and mine (direct interface to Homeseer). I just love the idea that I have one app to control everything and that I can now freely program the whole system to do whatever I want.

I'll publish a video of me demonstrating the HSTouch interface later since I've been asked for the HSTouch part quite a bit recently...

Comment

Here's the typical DSC hardwire expansion module: http://store.homeseer.com/store/DSC-...der-P1230.aspx

I like what you are doing and I think it compares more to what people are doing with Arduino's. The Arduino Mega has a lot of inputs for a low price point and there's an existing HS plugin.

Cheers
              Al
              HS 3.0.0.532: 1963 Devices 1141 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.1.261: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I like your page setup.... Willing to purchase the screens pages
                Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I just love the idea that I have one app to control everything and that I can now freely program the whole system to do whatever I want.

Very nice Dan!

Very impressive hardware module and touchscreen layout.
                  Last edited by Pete; February 15th, 2016, 09:08 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 5.20
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 5.20

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                    I love that hstouch skin you obviously put a lot of time and dedication into it! Want to show the other screens and maybe share the project?

As far as the plugin and hardware goes very innovative! This definitely embodies the spirit of Homeseer and its infinite possibilities!
                    Sorry for the delay! I was traveling for the last few days and just got back. I made a quick and shaky video to demonstrate the current progress on the HS3Touch project and integration here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuRK5-QUfMA

It's by far not everything but I hope it gives a bit of an impression of what I am trying to do with the page layout etc. I managed to come up with a pretty unified layout for my stuff with "window" like popups. I also used a "hack" to circumvent a major flaw with the HS3Touch device picker. Usually it will just show you ALL locations and then ALL devices. What if you only want to see the lights in the hallway or the lights in the kitchen and you don't want to make static screens for every one of your device groups? I made it so that when you tap any one of the blue status "buttons" on my screen, a dynamic device picker window pops up that only shows the devices in that group.

For example tap the kitchen "status" and a dynamic picker pops up showing all kitchen devices. If I add a new dimmer or switch to the system later, it will show up there as well, without the need to edit the HS3Touch project

Comment

electron73,

Nice setup and your alarm interface looks interesting. Is there any chance you can share the HSTouch screen you show in your post along with the graphic files?

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by jpape View Post
                        electron73,

Nice setup and your alarm interface looks interesting. Is there any chance you can share the HSTouch screen you show in your post along with the graphic files?

Regards,

Thanks! Yeah it's still work in progress and needs a few things here and there. I'm thinking about sharing everything including graphics and an integration guide but I'm not 100% sure yet in which form. Is there any "official" sharing or project exchange thread and if so, how have others shared HS3Touch projects?

Comment

Great looking project!!

Normally, people share it by zipping the images folder and the XML file, nothing else :-)

Br. Martin

Comment

Originally posted by twister5800 View Post
                            Great looking project!!

Normally, people share it by zipping the images folder and the XML file, nothing else :-)

Br. Martin
                            Ok that's exactly what I ended up doing. Response has be great in the HSTouch Designs thread, so I posted a link there:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...12#post1230712

Comment

Working...
                            X