Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather lightning strikes [request]

Hi all,

I was wondering if Anyone has a plug-in or script for the lightning strikes ?
    Like on weatherbug , so you can see the closest strike.

IT would be a great!

Thanks

Sended from far far away
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 3.0.0.531 on windows 7 ultimate X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Originally posted by Malosa View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if Anyone has a plug-in or script for the lightning strikes ?
    Like on weatherbug , so you can see the closest strike.

IT would be a great!

Thanks
    Hallo Karell,

I built a MySensors lightning detector that let's me know that info. Not too hard to do if you already have MySensors.

As an FYI, Blitzortung.org is a great sight for seeing lightning strikes, but I don't think there's info there that can be scraped.

Cheers
    Al

PS We haven't had any close lightning so far this year so nothing recent to see.
    Attached Files
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Weather lightning strikes [request]

Hi al ,

Yeah i tried to scrape from weatherbug , but iT scrapes wrong data , and from blitzortnung is almost no data to scrape.. I really need to check for an alternative something..

I dont have mysensors , but is iT accurate ?

Regards

Sended from far far away

Comment

I'm not sure it would be very practical. Polling Weatherbug (for example) web server every 30 seconds would not be tolerated.

LightningMaps.org is the site I use to view lightning. I see more storms brewing near the Netherlands:

http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=e...d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

(Use IE for best results).

Look at this too: http://www.boltek.com/catalog/sensors
        Jon

Comment

I dont have mysensors , but is iT accurate ?
          I haven't been able to verify the accuracy yet. I built it over a year ago and since then we've had much less lightning than normal When we did have lightning, I wasn't home to check against other sources such as Blitzortung. We may get some lightning in the next day or two.

Cheers
          Al

Comment

Hi Jon ,

Yes there are right now much Storms here and also lightning , but i was checking iT on lightningmaps .

If there only was a website to scrape data from..

The Boltek sensors are really expensive , i Will Search tomorrow for websites that host Some data from blitzortnung , maybe i can scrape from there .

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
            I'm not sure it would be very practical. Polling Weatherbug (for example) web server every 30 seconds would not be tolerated.

LightningMaps.org is the site I use to view lightning. I see more storms brewing near the Netherlands:

http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=e...d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

(Use IE for best results).

Look at this too: http://www.boltek.com/catalog/sensors

Sended from far far away

Comment

Hi Al

Ok just let me know if you get accurate data.
              Sounds a great sensor , is it expensive to build ?

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              I haven't been able to verify the accuracy yet. I built it over a year ago and since then we've had much less lightning than normal When we did have lightning, I wasn't home to check against other sources such as Blitzortung. We may get some lightning in the next day or two.

Cheers

Al

Sended from far far away

Comment

Hi Al

Ok just let me know if you get accurate data.
                Sounds a great sensor , is it expensive to build ?
                This is the actual sensor: http://playingwithfusion.com/product...=22&catid=1001. With that you just need an Arduino and an NRF24L01+ radio module. That adds about $10 to the price, so less than $40 US. A MySensors gateway is about $10. Cases for them are $5-10 each depending on what you use. My lightning sensor is still on a breadboard until I have verified it.

Cheers
                Al

Comment

I never build something with an arduino , bu check this out ,
                  You think this is working also
                  http://runtimeprojects.com/2016/02/a...r-for-arduino/

Regards

This is the actual sensor: http://playingwithfusion.com/product...=22&catid=1001. With that you just need an Arduino and an NRF24L01+ radio module. That adds about $10 to the price, so less than $40 US. A MySensors gateway is about $10. Cases for them are $5-10 each depending on what you use. My lightning sensor is still on a breadboard until I have verified it.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

Cheers
                    Al
                    This looks good. I am starting to get more into weather data gathering locally and this was my next step. Do you have a sketch you can share? and what data is being sent? I am looking mainly for distance of strikes.

Comment

Regards
                      Malosa,

What is your goal with this project?

I used to have a 1-wire lightning detector (similar to this) which would pick up strikes up to 50 miles away. The fact that it had no direction capabilities gave no indication that a storm was coming nearer or just crossing within the 50 mile radius from my house.
                      Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I just want that homeseer can tel me when the lightning is near me .
                        But i need more information first.

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                        Malosa,

What is your goal with this project?

I used to have a 1-wire lightning detector (similar to this) which would pick up strikes up to 50 miles away. The fact that it had no direction capabilities gave no indication that a storm was coming nearer or just crossing within the 50 mile radius from my house.

Sended from far far away

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                          This looks good. I am starting to get more into weather data gathering locally and this was my next step. Do you have a sketch you can share? and what data is being sent? I am looking mainly for distance of strikes.
                          Yes, I can share the sketch and the wiring diagram. Give me a week or so to put it together (and ping me if I forget ). I posted a version on the MySensors forum last year, but I modified it earlier this year. The sensor can use either the I2C bus or SPI bus. I was using the SPI bus, but had some reliability issues that way. I think there was some conflict with the NRF module on the SPI bus, so changed it to work with I2C instead.

It sends the strike distance and also a value that indicates intensity.

Cheers
                          Al

Comment

Regards
                            It may work, but not sure how easy it would be to calibrate to understand how close the strike was. The module is pre-calibrated and the chip they use is specifically designed to determine strike distance and relative intensity.

Cheers
                            Al

Comment

hi AL ,

ok , if it works at your place i would like an tutorial , because im a total noob with an arduino and making sensors haha

regards

Comment

Working...
                              X