Homeseer 3 running fine on Ubuntu 18.XX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer 3 running fine on Ubuntu 18.XX

Just a status post relating to Homeseer 3. I have not made any changes to HS3. I have upgraded OS on HS3 Pro computer.

December 17, 2018

Homeseer Lite (Zee2) and Homeseer Pro running 3.0.0.449 (Linux) for months now.

Pine64 2 Gb computer

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
    Release: 16.04
    Codename: xenial

Mono JIT compiler version 5.16.0.220 (tarball Mon Nov 26 17:41:52 UTC 2018)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

Haswell i3 16Gb computer

Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic

Mono JIT compiler version 5.16.0.220 (tarball Mon Nov 26 17:17:59 UTC 2018)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

I did a live update of the Pine64 2Gb computer and had a few issues so downgraded back to Ubuntu 16.04. Will be rebuilding with Ubuntu 18.04.

Still waiting here for the Rock64 4 Gb computer with an RTC battery (promised).

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

A couple months back I did an upgrade in place on my rock64 4Gb to Ubuntu 18.04.1 and it went well. I've been running HS3 478 with no issues. I just upgraded to mono 5.18.0.225 and so far it seems to be working.

Bill

Comment

Yeah here scrambled the SD card on the Pine64 when I was running Ubuntu 18.10 for a few days so I backed down to 16.04.

I'll probably take it back to 18.04 as it did run well then.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just did a migration from Ubuntu 16.04LTS to 18.04LTS, from a virtual server (on a Intel Avoton CPU) to a physical box (Intel Nuc 8i3BEH) - works like a charm.

The only thing missing is a more normal way of installing HS3 (like a package), and upgrade path - I would not say that copying the old HS3 install over a new HS3 install is the way I would normally like to go...

Comment

Yeah here originally on my Ubuntu builds was putting HS3 in the root drive. Redid my Pine64 upgrading it to 18.04 and moved the Homeseer directory over to /opt/HomeSeer

The Homeseer SEL sold is using the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory and the version of Homeseer there is a button click similiar to the Zee2.

Here always back up the directory and do the command line thing to update the directory.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

HI,

I am using:

Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64)
            Mono JIT compiler version 5.16.0.179
            Homeseer SEL with 4 gig memory

Works well, except there is a slow memory leak. Over several days the percent of used RAM increases and will crash Homeseer and the SEL. This was worse before I changed from 2 gig of memory, which the SEL came with to the 4 gig.

I basically restart Homeseer every other day or three. I don't restart the SEL and the memory usage drops back to what it was, so I know it is Homseer. I had a similar problem when I was using the Hometroller Z.

Bruce

Current Date/Time: 12/27/2018 7:01:16 PM
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer-sel 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 15 Hours 36 Minutes 43 Seconds
            Number of Devices: 455
            Number of Events: 176
            Available Threads: 199
            HSTouch Enabled: True
            Event Threads: 154
            Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
            Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
            Device Exec Queue: 0
            HSTouch Event Queue: 0
            Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
            3.4.16.0: mcsMQTT
            3.0.0.48: MediaController
            3.0.6.7: SDJ-Health
            3.0.0.88: weatherXML
            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

dbvanb: Yes I have noticed the same thing, however my previous Ubuntu 16.04LTS did run for about 10 days before getting into problems. My current Ubuntu 18.04LTS has not been up for that long a period so do not know if it is the same (my new NUC server has 8GB of RAM, the old virtual server had 4GB RAM allocated - so not sure what or when it happens). I do however expect the RAM usage to increase...

Comment

I've been running HS3 on Bionic Beaver for some time now, and just upgraded to build 478 to check out HomeSeer Mobile alongside HSTouch. Have been trouble free since the beginning.

Linux grendel 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Here running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on two Homeseer 3 boxes.

Pine 64 2 Gb of RAM running Homeseer 3 lite (zee2).

Box #1

Pine64:~# lsb_release -a
                  No LSB modules are available.

Pine64:~# uname -a
                  Linux ICS-Pine64 3.10.105-bsp-1.2-ayufan-136 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 27 21:18:35 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Pine64:~# mono -V
                  Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.225 (tarball Fri Dec 21 20:08:54 UTC 2018)

HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.449 (Linux)

Box #2

Haswell iSeries 3 16 Gb of RAM running Homeseer Pro

HS3Pro:~# lsb_release -a
                  LSB Version: core-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch:security-9.20170808ubuntu1-noarch

HS3Pro:~# uname -a
                  Linux ICS-HS3Pro 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

HS3Pro:~# mono -V
                  Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.225 (tarball Fri Dec 21 19:32:32 UTC 2018)

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.449 (Linux)

No crashes here or memory leaks that I can see. I update Ubuntu about once a week. I have left HS at V.449 and it is doing fine for me.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Aha - details - it all about details...

Current Intel NUC8i3BEH "server":

$ lsb_release -a
                    No LSB modules are available.

$ uname -a
                    Linux superserver 4.15.0-43-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 6 14:45:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ mono -V
                    Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.225 (tarball Fri Dec 21 19:32:32 UTC 2018)

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.435

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    0.0.0.31: drhsIpPlugIn
                    2.0.2.1: JowiHue
                    3.0.6.7: SDJ-Health
                    3.2.0.1: SqueezeBox
                    3.0.6413.20219: UltraNetCam3
                    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                    3.0.1.239: Z-Wave

That said, I am thinkink of upgrade my Z-Wave plugin - however not sure I will. Don't fix what ain't broken - or how that saying goes...?

Memory: Well something does not work, it's either something inside HS3 or the large amount of http request I do from inside HS3 that makes my system unstable after say 10-12 days.

So Pete: if you update your Ubuntu as you wrote above, does that include a restart of HS3? If so, could that may be why you never stumble onto memory leaks?

Comment

So Pete: if you update your Ubuntu as you wrote above, does that include a restart of HS3? If so, could that may be why you never stumble onto memory leaks?

Both Intel iSeries and Pine64 ARM computers where updated live. I do regular OS and MONO updates while Homeseer is running.

It was running fine here for months. The only reboot was related to upgrading the OS or if the updates specify a reboot (kernal updates). No memory leaks here.

I am too now tinkering a bit with MQTT, Samsung Smartthings, Alexa Smartthings, Home Assistant, Domoticz and Node Red. (multiple automation software servers).

I have had and used up to 20 Homeseer touch tabletop Windows embedded touchscreens here. Default configuration is HSTouch, SAPI Speaker and voice fonts. Never really liked the proxy methodology of TTS (wave recording and broadcast - HSTouch TTS proxy, Sonos Proxy, Squeezeplayer proxy). Have used VPN now for many years. Lately have it installed on my phones to my home network and it works great. Note these are in house in LAN. Cloud connections here are mostly for tinkering with my home automation and I have no real dependencies on it for home automation; never have.

I have never mixed wireless and wired ZWave devices and never have put any dependencies on wireless ZWave. I have mixed Zigbee devices and tested these years ago. BUT I have no automation dependencies today on Zigbee. I am now starting to tinker with Wireless MQTT and it is only tinkering at this time as it is my first venture to using wireless for automation stuff. I do have wireless W800 X10 stuff and RFID stuff up and been using this for years with no issues.

Never have put all my automation eggs in to one automation protocal and do not do that today running X10, UPB, ZWave, Zigbee, Wireless X10 and today MQTT. Hard sensors are all wired and optionally wireless using alarm wireless format devices. (sure bet stuff but a PITA to wire up)

The POE RPi2 in the attic that is the main ZNet like device is also running Domoticz, Node Red OWFS, SDR radio for NOAA mapping. (multitasking it here and pushing on it a bit). (Hardware connections are: GPIO ZWave card, NTP card, SDR USB and USB 1-Wire).

I did shut down Homeseer 3 while doing the OS upgrades but not the regular upgrades to the OS. Oracle VB has been updated too on the Intel based server. It is running Oracle VB version 5.2(?).

VB is running a mini version of W2003 32 bit. I have configured it with RDP which works well and is very quick today with 5 SAPI voices on it.

I am not dependant much on ZWave here and do have a 25 device network up. I have left ZWave running at 3.0.1.249 for time bean. ZWave hardware here is a GPIO ZWave me card running on a POE RPi2 in the attic Znet like. No issues with it.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here, I use a combination of protocols.

Zwave - for light control and some wireless sensors
                        wireless sensors:
                        motion detection - 6 - 4 with temp and humidity
                        2 simply motion detection
                        will send email notifications if away
                        water leak sensors - 7 to send email notifications
                        door bell sensor - sends email notifications
                        1 multisensor for luminescence and temp/humidity
                        3 door locks - interfaced as well with esp8266 units to light
                        leds in various locations to deterimine locked status

Sonoff units
                        3 basics - two with temp and humidity via mqtt, and control lights
                        4 s31 units - for power consumption data via mqtt
                        1 to sense power outage to freezer
                        1 controls hot water recirculation pump schedule via
                        homeseer events and mqtt
                        1 4 channel - not in use, but possibly speaker control vis mqtt
                        All modifed and flashed with Tasmota software

Raspberry pi
                        3 units - interfaced with Homeseer via Spud's Raspberry IO plugin
                        1 interfaces, but not controls homesecurity sensors to Homeseer
                        sends email notifications if away
                        1 with 1-wire temperature sensors for the hotwater heating system
                        both domestic hot water and hydronic heating
                        This one also has temp/humidity sensors in attic, garage and crawlspace.
                        This one is also interfaced with RFID reader to unlock a door
                        1 not in service yet, but to interface with 24v sprinkler system

ESP8266 wireless units
                        6 Nodemcu units
                        1 for barometric pressure, temp and humidity in one bedroom
                        4 for temp/humidity sensors as well as other functions:
                        2 for led notification of door lock status and hotwater recirculation
                        pump status - running or not
                        1 for led status of hotwater recirculation pump status - running or not
                        1 for just temp/humidity
                        1 not in service, using for testing, want to use for IR control of AV
                        working on control of hot water pump function with a button (like Dash button)
                        all interfaced to Homeseer with mcsMQTT plugin

Trying to interface Audiocast wireless speaker drivers, but not much luck with Mediacontroller
                        plugin, because the Audicast are not DLNA compliant. Going to try ChromeAudiocast units
                        No speech notifications from Homeseer yet, but not sure my wife would want that anyway

Have a 690 Roomba robot, but just use the cloud, because I haven't been able to get it to work with
                        Blade's roomba plugin, yet

Started with Hometroller ZS2, but upgraded to SEL to get the HS3 Standard license, upgraded to 4 gb memory
                        Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, Mono JIT compiler version 5.16.0.179
                        Just was able to modify ubuntu/mono (VBNC) to now use aspx pages, ie Jon000 scripts

All home computers are Linux - Mint 18, no Windows machines

I think that is it for now.
                        Mostly did this for myself to document what I have going on

Bruce

Oh, yeah - 1 Echo dot
                        4 7in Fire tablets for Homeseer control vis HSMetro
                        Tablets modified to use Google play store and load OLED Always on screen control
                        and Fully Kiosk Browser App

Comment

Well I am not sure Z-Wave plugin is involved. Now I have 49 Z-Wave devices, however that does not seem to matter.

So far I know from experience that running logging against thingspeak.com, say every 5 minutes, will for sure shorten my HS3 system (both my previous Zee S2 (running Mono old version packed with the Zee - and this version had problems with events so I never could move from my Zee to my Ubuntu version) and the previous virtual server on Ubuntu 16.04LTS (running Mono v4)) uptime. Now my just built NC8i3/Ubuntu 18.04LTS with Mono V5 might not have this problem - I simply do not know since I have not tested.

However the code I used against Thingspeak.com was very simple:
                          Code:
                          Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object)

Dim Sovrum                 as Double = hs.deviceValue(25)
                             Dim Arbetsrum              as Double = hs.deviceValue(190)
                             Dim NewBalconeyTemp        as Double = hs.deviceValue(481)
                             Dim COTempSensor           as Double = hs.deviceValue(513)
                             Dim MagicTemp              as Double = hs.deviceValue(436)
                             Dim DoorCeiling            as Double = hs.deviceValue(301)
                             Dim Matplats               as Double = hs.deviceValue(202)
                             Dim Vardagsrum             as Double = hs.deviceValue(196)

Dim  strVals3 as String = "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field1=" & Sovrum                  & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field2=" & Arbetsrum               & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field3=" & NewBalconeyTemp         & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field4=" & COTempSensor            & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field5=" & MagicTemp               & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field6=" & DoorCeiling             & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field7=" & Matplats                & "&"
                                  strVals3 = strVals3 & "field8=" & Vardagsrum

UploadToCloud( "http://api.thingspeak.com/update", "xxx", strVals3 )

End Sub

Sub UploadToCloud( strURL as String, strAPIkey as String, strValues as String )

Dim strParms as String = "key=" & strAPIKey & strValues

Try
                             Dim myWebC as System.Net.WebClient = new System.Net.WebClient()
                             Dim HtmlResult as String = myWebC.uploadstring(strURL , strParms)
                           Catch ex as Exception
                              hs.writelog("ThingSpeak", "Error uploading data: " & ex.message)
                           End Try

End Sub
                          So if this code is behind the problem I had then it is Mono that causes this. And since I never tested this on Mono V5 well I guess I would need to. However if I install yet another HS3 installation on my old virtual server, it will need a registration to be able to even just evaluate this potential issue.

So memory might not be the problem, it is just an assumption (and we all know how dangerous assumptions are -> assumption is the mother of all f*uckups and all that), based on the fact that my system never runs for more than 10-12 days (without thingspeak logging) or 3-4 days (thingspeak logging turned on).

Some day I will sit down with enough of free time and figure this one out - it just that I need well more time... like 14 days... logging.... Maybe a simple vmstat script running every hour or so might do the trick (I guess I will write that script now, just because).

Comment

Larhedse,

I am not a programmer, just a user. As above started with Hometroller Zs2 (raspberry pi version, linux, crippled to only use 5 plugins) I believe it has only 1 gb memory. Started out fine, but when I added more load to it - IE mcsmqtt, it would crash all the time. I upgraded to the SEL unit, upgraded to Ubuntu 18 and Mono 5.16. It started with 2 gb memory and also would crash frequently. I would find the SEL shutdown. No real help in the system logs. I upgraded to 4 gb memory (maybe should have gone bigger). Now it still will shutdown independently, but only every few days. Installed htop, and I can watch the memory usage rise over several days - starts at 400mb and will rise to 800mb used over about 2-3 days. Since I don't like finding it shutdown, I made Homeseer a service on Linux, and every 2 -3 nights (About 3:30am) I will stop and restart the service. The memory usage goes back down to 400mb, but will slowly rise again. This does not shut the whole SEL down, ie a reboot, just restarts Homeseer . The SEL will stay up for days/weeks doing it this way, so I figure it is Homeseer slowly using memory (leak? I don't know enough to say that, but...)
                            Also if I add a Zwave device with Z-tool+, it will shutdown like above. When restarted all is back to the same as above. I have had this happen when I have worked/change a number of events at one time as well.

Just my observations,
                            If you find a reason, I would be interested

Bruce

Comment

@larhedse

Side note:

know from experience that running logging against thingspeak.com, say every 5 minutes...

Just recently noticed here that Espurna firmware includes thingsspeak. I was able to configure a free account using my very old University account (old = 1970's).

Bruce...

Originally here tested the Homeseer 3 lite on the old discontinued Xi5A 2Gb cube computer and concurrently the ARM Pine64 2Gb computer. Both were tested using Ubuntu 64 bit OS. The Xi5a uses an SSD card. Over the years only issue I have had with the Pine64 is scrambling the SD card. Moving this configuration to a Rock64 4Gb computer with an eMMC card and a second network interface.

I have remotely configured another Pine64 2Gb computer running HS3 Pro for a HS3 user in Atlanta. It's been a couple of years and doing fine.

Recently remotely configured (from scratch) one SEL (4Gb) in London for a Homeseer user. It is running Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit and current mono version. It's been a couple of months and doing well.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X